This is what love looks like

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
From the photographer who took the picture, from Stonehouse Photography.

This 19 year old Shep being cradled in his father's arms last night in Lake Superior. Shep falls asleep every night when he is carried into the lake. The buoyancy of the water soothes his arthritic bones. Lake Superior is very warm right now, so the temp of the water is perfect.

I was so happy I got to capture this moment for John. By the way, John rescued Shep as an 8 month old puppy, and he's been by his side through many adventures :)

Attachments

• $19yoshep.jpg
    $19yoshep.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 58
thanks, I have a disabled dog and know why this man is willing to do this.

The story behind the photo:

Bayfield, Wis., photographer's photo goes viral | Duluth News Tribune | Duluth, Minnesota

Unger and his then-fianceé found the dog 18 years ago at a humane society in Ozaukee County, Wis., when it was an 8-month-old puppy.

“We knew we wanted to work with an animal who was abused,” Unger said. “I just had a vision of working with an animal to bring out his full potential.”
Testing suggested that the dog had been beaten by a male, and it took Unger another eight months to fully earn his trust.

---

Unger, who found his way to Bayfield about six years ago, had a photo of himself with his dog in mind for several years. But that mission took on added urgency last week he said. Noticing Schoep limping, Unger took his dog to a veterinarian in Ashland. The vet prescribed pain-relief medication, but Unger doesn’t yet know how effective it will be. If Schoep isn’t able to get up without pain, it will be time to put him down, Unger said.

Unger stopped the conversation to regain his composure.

“What was going through my mind when Hannah was taking those pictures was that this may be the last time I’m going to be swimming with him,” Unger said.

Thanks for another great thread BB.

Ten is considered old for a GSD. Shep is 19 and obviously the love of his owner has helped him achieve that age.

Super pic and I hope Sheps around for a few more years.

Last edited:
Twenty is way old for a dog and Shep obviously had a good partner and a good life.

Kudo's to his partner and deepest sympathies.

Who the hell couldn't love a dog??

[youtube]wTSwTulcXCE[/youtube]

Never trust a person who doesn't like dogs.

If your dog doesn't like someone, you probably shouldn't either.

I hope to one day be the person my dog thinks I am.​

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC5DXGIC8s8#at=90]Dog sees Dad after being gone over 6 months - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back