This is what happens when Gov. works it's fingers into Private sector business--

now if you want to talk about no bid contracts, you have to go back further than Iraq
and i doubt you really want to do that

yea i think H/B had a few of them under Billy boy.....mmmm?

Yeah but Billy Boy wasn't an equity shareholder. No bid contracts go way back. Having a boardmember and direct beneficiary of the contract as an elected official is new territory.

and if you dont think Clinton benefited financially from some of the deals that went on in his reign then i just dont know what i can tell ya...cause it has gone on in every era...

(AP) Facing dire financial conditions, postal officials are turning to Congress for help.

Postmaster General John Potter and other top agency officials were facing the House Oversight subcommittee on the federal workforce and post office Wednesday.

The post office was $2.8 billion in the red last year and is facing even larger losses this year due to the sharp decline in mail volume in the weak economy.
Post Office Desperate For Financial Help - CBS News

NEW YORK (FORTUNE Magazine) - It's easy to feel a bit sorry for any company's chief information officer these days. The pace of technology is accelerating, and costs seem to be going up just as fast.

But for Rob Carter, the CIO of FedEx, the job may seem even more daunting. He's responsible for all the computer and communication systems that keep this staggeringly complex outfit running. He has to connect 39 hubs around the world with 677 airplanes, over 90,000 vehicles, and more than 200,000 employees delivering six million packages a day in 220 countries
FORTUNE: C-Suite: The FedEx edge - Mar. 20, 2006

There are a lot of things the private sector can do better and cheaper than the Federal Govt. sealy , transportation, mail delivery, healthcare, the fact is Govt. should not be in business at all, it should be there to regulate and defend and represent. The problem is these departments like the USPS and AMtrack become little cash cows for Senators and Congressmen as well as job shops and are nothing but money losers at yours and my expense. Think about it a moment, the tax dollars that go to fund these losers could be better spent in the marketplace promoting competetion and leading to more jobs and less lay-offs such as in MI. in the private sector because they are in business to meet those demands? When you have a sole source, like the Govt. you only need soo much in the way of suppliers and those that are not picked go out of business because they have no one else to market too. Understand?

first off Navy the PO is not supported by tax dollars....and it is NOT supposed to make a profit...and would you want 10 different companies with the key to your mail box?....people think stamps are expensive now at 44 cents,if a private company was doing so it would be .75-1.00...depending on where you live....whoever wrote this piece should have done a little more research....

(AP) Facing dire financial conditions, postal officials are turning to Congress for help.

Postmaster General John Potter and other top agency officials were facing the House Oversight subcommittee on the federal workforce and post office Wednesday.

The post office was $2.8 billion in the red last year and is facing even larger losses this year due to the sharp decline in mail volume in the weak economy.

NEW YORK (FORTUNE Magazine) - It's easy to feel a bit sorry for any company's chief information officer these days. The pace of technology is accelerating, and costs seem to be going up just as fast.

But for Rob Carter, the CIO of FedEx, the job may seem even more daunting. He's responsible for all the computer and communication systems that keep this staggeringly complex outfit running. He has to connect 39 hubs around the world with 677 airplanes, over 90,000 vehicles, and more than 200,000 employees delivering six million packages a day in 220 countries

There are a lot of things the private sector can do better and cheaper than the Federal Govt. sealy , transportation, mail delivery, healthcare, the fact is Govt. should not be in business at all, it should be there to regulate and defend and represent. The problem is these departments like the USPS and AMtrack become little cash cows for Senators and Congressmen as well as job shops and are nothing but money losers at yours and my expense. Think about it a moment, the tax dollars that go to fund these losers could be better spent in the marketplace promoting competetion and leading to more jobs and less lay-offs such as in MI. in the private sector because they are in business to meet those demands? When you have a sole source, like the Govt. you only need soo much in the way of suppliers and those that are not picked go out of business because they have no one else to market too. Understand?

first off Navy the PO is not supported by tax dollars....and it is NOT supposed to make a profit...and would you want 10 different companies with the key to your mail box?....people think stamps are expensive now at 44 cents,if a private company was doing so it would be .75-1.00...depending on where you live....whoever wrote this piece should have done a little more research....

Lets take the private bankers out of the Federal Reserve:

Federal Reserve Cannot Account For $9 Trillion | Daily Markets

$9 trillion? And they don't know where the money went? WOW! Tea Bag this Harry. Do you realize how much $9 trillion is? Forget social security and forget medicare Harry. And you will never even consider blaming private industry.

The US Postal Service's Board of Governors approved an appropriation request of $117.7 million for fiscal year 2009 yesterday. For fiscal year 2008, the board requested $153.4 million. At this time, the House has recommended $88.9 million of that amount and the Senate has recommended $117.9 million. In addition, the BOG approved the Postal Regulatory Commission's recommended decision on a negotiated service agreement with Bank of America, which will provide price incentives based on the company's mail operations.....

USPS bog OKs budget - DMNews

I do believe Harry that an appropriation request from the House is money that comes from the taxpayers. I do understand what your trying to say though. As far as stamps and mail go, I honestly think that if completely private a lot of that would depend on the amount of competetion. The more there is the lower the costs. So a lot depends on the number of service providers willing to meet the demand.

It is widely acknowledged that the current business model of the Postal Service is not sustainable going into the 21st century. Electronic diversion of mail volumes has caused a substantial and likely irreplaceable decline in first class mail. This trend is expected to continue. The Postal Service ended the latest fiscal year with large on and off-balance sheet liabilities. These liabilities include $7.3 billion of debt owed to Treasury, $7.1 billion for unfunded workers’ compensation costs, $8.7 billion for operating leases, $5.8 billion for unfunded pension liabilities, and approximately $60 billion for unfunded post-retirement healthcare liabilities. For a business that has a statutory mandate to be self-financing and to break-even, the Postal Service has accomplished neither. .........
Finally, it is fair and equitable because the Postal Service has also been the beneficiary of significant taxpayer funded appropriations,

JS-1255: Secretary Snow's Testimony on U.S. Postal Service Reform

While I understand your assertion ratepayer vs. taxpayer it still does not impact the assertion that the USPS has significant problems and could be run better as a private for profit company.

now if you want to talk about no bid contracts, you have to go back further than Iraq
and i doubt you really want to do that

Yeah but Billy Boy wasn't an equity shareholder. No bid contracts go way back. Having a boardmember and direct beneficiary of the contract as an elected official is new territory.
who was the board member that directly benefited?

It's well-publicized. Dick Cheney was a board member, received a salary during all of his years in office(deferred), and pumped his stock from around 2 mil. to 100+ mil. Of course this is old news and well-publiciaed so forgive me for dredging it up, but just making a point.

It's well-publicized. Dick Cheney was a board member, received a salary during all of his years in office(deferred), and pumped his stock from around 2 mil. to 100+ mil. Of course this is old news and well-publiciaed so forgive me for dredging it up, but just making a point.
except that payment was defered compensation that would have been paid to him regardless of how the company did when he was VP
it is a lie from the libs that it was anything else

except that payment was defered compensation that would have been paid to him regardless of how the company did when he was VP

Yes but his stock performance doesn't lie. He made sure that he had a nice nest egg upon exiting office. It was really a conflict of interests to have him in a position of such power and influence. I'm a former Repub who was/is pissed as hell to see my tax dollars go into his pocket, as all Republicans should be.

Yes but his stock performance doesn't lie. He made sure that he had a nice nest egg upon exiting office. It was really a conflict of interests to have him in a position of such power and influence. I'm a former Repub who was/is pissed as hell to see my tax dollars go into his pocket, as all Republicans should be.
so, he shouldnt be paid what was owed him prior to him becoming VP?

The salary was fine. The stock package is a different story. His stock was worth 1-2 mil when he took office, over 100 mil when he left. He essentially laundered tax dollars through his company.

The salary was fine. The stock package is a different story. His stock was worth 1-2 mil when he took office, over 100 mil when he left. He essentially laundered tax dollars through his company.
when he because VPOTUS all his stocks were put in a blind trust
he had no control over it

Yeah for the time he was in office. His stock package remained static, and he DID have control over the value of his stock. When you award huge contracts to your company, your stock goes up. Isn't it conceivable that this was his motivation?

Yeah for the time he was in office. His stock package remained static, and he DID have control over the value of his stock. When you award huge contracts to your company, your stock goes up. Isn't it conceivable that this was his motivation?
no

no

Then you tell me why Haliburton gets the no-bid contract. Seems simple to me.

Pre-contract 1.2 million in shares

Post-contract 100+ million in shares. Same stock package.

I hope you're not in a professional that requires critical thinking.

no

because they were the only company doing what they were being contracted to do
they didnt just come of age under bush

and i hope you aren't in any professional position that requires critical thinking either

and i hope you aren't in any professional position that requires critical thinking either

Do you even know what they were contracted to do? There are numerous companies that could've done any number of the many functions that Halliburton took on. They were certainly well-suited for the oil-production thing but subcontracted the shit out of pretty much every Green Zone project (which is bullshit itself). I had to sleep in a tent when I was there. Now these pansy-ass admin types get to live in houses, shop in malls, and get fat on mcDonalds all for the sake of padding certain people's pockets. It's a horrible waste of your money and mine. It's really surreal to chat with someone who seriously believes, and defends Dick Cheney. It's a rare opportunity indeed.

Do you even know what they were contracted to do? There are numerous companies that could've done any number of the many functions that Halliburton took on. They were certainly well-suited for the oil-production thing but subcontracted the shit out of pretty much every Green Zone project (which is bullshit itself). I had to sleep in a tent when I was there. Now these pansy-ass admin types get to live in houses, shop in malls, and get fat on mcDonalds all for the sake of padding certain people's pockets. It's a horrible waste of your money and mine. It's really surreal to chat with someone who seriously believes, and defends Dick Cheney. It's a rare opportunity indeed.
i'm not defend him so much as defending the truth
sorry you dont see it that way

i'm not defend him so much as defending the truth
sorry you dont see it that way

Well at least you seem like a nice person and haven't bloviated like I have, so let's agree to be at odds on this topic.

Waaa!!! WAaaaa!!! You'll be in the poor house if GM fails, stupid. That's why we loaned them the money. And 50% of Americans still buy American. Stop saying cars that NO ONE wants. Only you traitorous sellouts who bend over for China think that way. Hey, when China takes over our country, just think, you funded it. Cock sucker.

I wonder where a majority of Obama's 1.8 trillion dollars of deficit money this year is coming from?

I have asked you guys a million times why Iraq isn't paying for itself yet. How come you guys never answer.

And to answer your question. The same place Bush found money to invade Iraq.

Oh ok China...so Obama is funding this....

"Hey, when China takes over our country, just think, you funded it. Cock sucker."

Partisian dipshit, sure Bush deficit spent but when Obama quadruples what Bush spent. It would stand to reason Obama is more responsible for the above statement than was Bush.

Yea, and every day/month/year more and more of us can't afford it.

Maybe you'll get it when one day only the ruling elite class can afford good healthcare. We're moving that way. And you'll never be one of them.
so, your employer doesnt have a health plan for you?

Remember, I don't only complain about things that are happening to me. Just like Kerry & Gore don't fight for only rich people.

And I don't want to lose my job and have what is happening to millions happen to me. So I'm being pro active on this.

Yeah like the 10 million uninsured(of the 50 million) that aren't American citizens that Obama wants to give health care to.

Forum List

Back