This Is What A Serious Gun Violence Policy Would Look Like

Get back to me when you can legally require a criminal to do any of that crap.
What?

Show me a court case that says you CAN prosecute a criminal for not applying for a gun license. I can show you a SCOTUS case that says you CAN'T because it violates their 5th Amendment rights against self incrimination. So why do you think it's a good idea to require law abiding citizens to jump through hoops you can't require a criminal to jump through?

We wouldn't need any gun regulations if we didn't have liberals getting their hands on guns. We have millions of them in prisons now. And the Democrats want to give them back their voting rights.

Never trust a liberal with your life or your money.

In other words, you have no idea what the article says. It's NRA gun nutters like you that are the greatest threat to my future gun rights. The NRA will have to bend or die.

The Teens Are Coming For The NRA, And They Can’t Be Stopped

Really. What did they do in 1886 school massacre to stop them from happening again ? Nothing.

It’s not as simple as expanding background checks.

A serious debate over gun policy is underway in the aftermath of last week’s massacre in Florida, and one focus is the federal background check system ― a system that has existed for 20 years but which, by almost all accounts, isn’t doing enough to deter would-be killers from buying firearms.

In theory, almost everybody in Washington wants to strengthen the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or NICS, as it’s known. That includes top Republicans, even though they have historically resisted or opposed efforts to control or limit gun access. It even includes President Donald Trump, who on Thursday tweeted support for improving background checks and on Friday said the same thing while answering press questions at the White House.

These vows may be meaningless. Recent history is littered with instances of Republicans dropping support for gun legislation as soon as public interest wanes. As for Trump, his own budget proposal, released earlier this month, proposed cutting funds for the background check system. It’s anybody’s guess whether Trump even understands the promise he has been making over the past few days, let alone whether he intends to keep it.

But if the student-led movement for stronger gun policies doesn’t let up, Trump and his allies may not be able to let go of this idea so easily. They might even decide that the political consequences of inaction are too serious to risk, that some kind of legislation on background checks is necessary.

The question, then, would be what kind of legislation.

On Capitol Hill, the current debate over background checks is focused on two very different proposals. One is an anodyne bill to shore up the existing system by feeding it information in a more timely and consistent fashion. The other is a more sweeping proposal to expand the reach of background checks so they include all sales, not just those that take place through officially licensed dealers.

But there’s another, even more ambitious idea out there ― one that Congress isn’t seriously considering now but that, according to many advocates and experts, could have a bigger impact. It’s a call for requiring would-be gun purchasers to first obtain licenses, which the government would grant only for people who go through a protracted process.

The process could entail any number of steps, but in the most ambitious versions it would include completing a gun safety course, paying registration fees, providing character references, and applying in person to local law enforcement. The goal is to reduce all kinds of firearm violence, including the everyday acts of homicide and suicide that account for the vast majority of this country’s gun deaths.

It might sound like a crazy idea wildly out of step with current practice. It’s not.

A dozen states plus the District of Columbia already have some kind of licensing program in place. There’s good reason to think these systems are having at least a mild impact in those places, and that they’d do a lot more if they existed nationwide. That’s especially true if licensing were part of a broader strategy that included bans on assault-style weapons, temporary restraining orders against gun ownership for people who pose likely threats, and other restrictions.

Much More: This Is What A Serious Gun Violence Policy Would Look Like

Interesting article. Definitely worth reading - regardless of which side of the fence you're on.

When you want to apply character references and registration fees and the permission of an unelected law enforcement employee to exercise any of our constitutionally protected rights I'll consider your proposal. I won't ever accept it but I will consider

“It’s a call for requiring would-be gun purchasers to first obtain licenses, which the government would grant only for people who go through a protracted process.

The process could entail any number of steps, but in the most ambitious versions it would include completing a gun safety course, paying registration fees, providing character references, and applying in person to local law enforcement. The goal is to reduce all kinds of firearm violence, including the everyday acts of homicide and suicide that account for the vast majority of this country’s gun deaths.” ibid

I wouldn’t have a problem with most of this if the Federal license issued meant no more per gun background checks, no 4473, no waiting periods, and the license would also serve as a concealed carry license valid in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Show the dealer your Federal license, pay for your gun, take your gun home.
There is still a waiting period when you purchase a firearm.

Even for those who have a license and own firearms.

You just can't walk in and show your license and walk out with the firearm.

I really don't have a problem with this.

It has an effect on strawman purchases and the resale of firearms.

Depends on the State, I can buy any gun I want in about 20 minutes without a license.

Yep, America needs some serious gun control. Even most responsible gun owners and hunters want that - including me. The NRA is a danger to our gun rights. Hopefully those kids in Florida can bring about needed change.
messages-from-the-board.png

Something must happen with these criminals. They are the ones that decided to stop arresting criminals in their schools to cash in on incentives. They need to face the most dire consequences.

“It’s a call for requiring would-be gun purchasers to first obtain licenses, which the government would grant only for people who go through a protracted process.

The process could entail any number of steps, but in the most ambitious versions it would include completing a gun safety course, paying registration fees, providing character references, and applying in person to local law enforcement. The goal is to reduce all kinds of firearm violence, including the everyday acts of homicide and suicide that account for the vast majority of this country’s gun deaths.” ibid

I wouldn’t have a problem with most of this if the Federal license issued meant no more per gun background checks, no 4473, no waiting periods, and the license would also serve as a concealed carry license valid in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Depends on the State, I can buy any gun I want in about 20 minutes without a license.

Maryland.

Some items are currently illegal here.

What is illegal is stored in Texas, safely field stripped and locked away.

None of those things in that stupid proposal would stop a crazy guy from doing crazy things.

It is simply an idiotic Liberal feel good idea that has no substance.

Besides it being a worthless program it is against the concept in the Bill of Rights.

The Bill of Rights says very clearly that the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed and that is infringing big time by the government giving permission on who can enjoy the right and who can't.

If you have to qualify and be given permission before the right can be enjoyed then it is really not a right at all, is it?

In addition to that it is a person presumed to be guilty until they prove themselves to be innocence by the government test.

That is really un American.

Maryland.

Can you translate that last sentence to English?

We wouldn't need any gun regulations if we didn't have liberals getting their hands on guns. We have millions of them in prisons now. And the Democrats want to give them back their voting rights.

Never trust a liberal with your life or your money.
What do you define as Liberal?

Stupid, as my post pointed out. Any other questions?
So when you say Liberal you are just talking about stupid people? Ok then just say stupid people since you don’t seem equipped to define, explain or identify what you think a liberal is or how that ideology associates to the things you speak of

Maryland.

Can you translate that last sentence to English?

When I moved back to Maryland I had to declare my firearms.

I passed thru Texas and left some things with my son.

The firearms were broken down and put in to storage.

I can't have magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.

isn’t doing enough to deter would-be killers from buying firearms.

And how do you identify someone who is a would-be killer? Your side's desire to ban guns which will accomplish nothing is distracting from real solutions to the problem.

But if the student-led movement for stronger gun policies doesn’t let up

There's a student-led movement? How many students less than 100? Stop spinning and making shit up.

a more sweeping proposal to expand the reach of background checks so they include all sales?

This had nothing to do with the shooting so why is it even being discussed? We know this is a stepping stone to more draconian gun control laws and government control.

It’s a call for requiring would-be gun purchasers to first obtain licenses, which the government would grant only for people who go through a protracted process.

And there it is, the draconian gun control laws I just predicted. Will we need a license to exercise our 1st amendment right to free speech too?

paying registration fees, providing character references, and applying in person to local law enforcement.

God that sounds like a Dem proposal, government fees and gobs of government red tape. People you see ^^^ where the gun control lobby is going? Fees and paperwork and interviews and gobs more until owning a gun just isn't worth it and THAT'S how they take away your 2nd amendment rights.

Progressives need to move to a country more in line with their philosophy

They're tryin'.....

"Gov. Jerry Brown Signs Bill Removing Penalty for Using Gun in Crime"
Gov. Jerry Brown Signs Bill Removing Penalty for Using Gun in Crime | Breitbart

OMG! Brown is a sick fuck!!!

"Liberal logic–teachers are not allowed to shoot back if under attack and criminals face no mandatory sentence enhancement for using a gun in carrying out an attack."

Forum List

Back