This is the tax addicted, power hungry government of 21st century America

SwimExpert

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2013
On Jan. 20, the IRS will auction off the right to collect what will amount to roughly $1.28 million paid by Sterling Mets LP, parent company of the Mets, in 223 monthly installments, assuming a realistic sale close date of May 1.....From 1987 to 1990, Strawberry failed to pay $542,572 in taxes, according to court documents. As of November 2013, Strawberry owed at least $80,000 from his tax liability from missed payments in 2003 and 2004.

IRS to auction New York Mets deal owed to Darryl Strawberry - ESPN New York

So the man owes $80,000 in taxes. By all means, garnish his annuity to recoup that. But taking $1.3 million and auctioning it off to someone else at half price is outrageous.

• Banned
That's less than what Sharpton owes.

At $80,000 the man barely owes a little more than 10% of the originally assessed $700,000. Hey may as well not payed anything and kept that extra $620,000 in his mattress.

• Banned
No different than taking his house and auctioning it off.

Yes it is. They did not seize his house, they are seizing actual cash. If he owes $80,000 why not seize the owed $80,000 and be done with it? Also, in either event, the seizure of real property valued at 16x the amount of a debt, with no remittance for the excess, is still outrageous!

My tax bill one year was for 2 grand, so the IRS felt generous and added 2 more thousand for shitz and giggles....

My tax bill one year was for 2 grand, so the IRS felt generous and added 2 more thousand for shitz and giggles....
You're an easy target. :slap:

:beer:
Well I did make myself a large target that year. With my corporate tax avoision tactics I am surprised that I only stumbled once....Those were the days...Doing 100k jobs for cash.....
You probably had a lot of cigars to light with all those C-notes.

Yes it is. They did not seize his house, they are seizing actual cash. If he owes $80,000 why not seize the owed $80,000 and be done with it? Also, in either event, the seizure of real property valued at 16x the amount of a debt, with no remittance for the excess, is still outrageous!

No they are auctioning off his contract rights. It is no different than JG Wentworth buying a structured settlement today for $10 in exchange for payment of $100 you are due ten years from now.

You're an easy target. :slap:

:beer:
Well I did make myself a large target that year. With my corporate tax avoision tactics I am surprised that I only stumbled once....Those were the days...Doing 100k jobs for cash.....
You probably had a lot of cigars to light with all those C-notes.
More like big J's......:420:

No they are auctioning off his contract rights. It is no different than JG Wentworth buying a structured settlement today for $10 in exchange for payment of $100 you are due ten years from now.

So the IRS is now a for profit business? You really are an idiot.

So the IRS is now a for profit business? You really are an idiot.

Then bid $1 for it and you might be the winner. A tax cheat gets cheated in the mind of someone who doesn't understand what an auction is. Cry me a river.

So you approve of the government cheating people out of their money any time they want. Tax addicted, statist fuck.

Forum List

Back