This is stupid...

Our wonderful, intelligent, liberal teachers. Making schools a better place through panic, propoganda, and idiocy all around.

Maybe the little boy was a muslim.

No, a Muslim would have gotten a pass, because it would have been culturally insensitive to object to any behavior.

A Christian child, though...that's a different story.

Allie, I've come to the conclusion that you are actually a Democrat on the payroll posing as a Republican to make Republicans look stupid.

You had me going for awhile, but you've haven't deviated from your script. Better luck next time.

No, a Muslim would have gotten a pass, because it would have been culturally insensitive to object to any behavior.

A Christian child, though...that's a different story.

this is like one of rgs..made up i bet if he where a muslim...i bet if he was a lefty..i bet they would say..

we used to be able to buy old gerenades with holes drilled through them at the army surplus when i was a kid..

Ah, it's "stupid" to assume prejudice against Christian kids, but not stupid to assume prejudice against Muslim ones.

this is like one of rgs..made up i bet if he where a muslim...i bet if he was a lefty..i bet they would say..

we used to be able to buy old gerenades with holes drilled through them at the army surplus when i was a kid..

Er..I didn't make the first comment about "I bet he was a..." I just followed up.

The last time I was in a surplus store (okay, 5 years ago?) there were dead grenades there.

This is the same kind of crap that goes along with parents shielding their kids from looking or handling firearms. The fact that this kid can even show a grenade (that cannot be detonated) in school for show-and-tell is rediculous.

This is the same logic that anti-gun people use....Guns are bad!! Never touch them!! They kill people!!!...Well so do knives, pencils, football helmets, and a slew of other things. These kids need to be educated in this kind of stuff so they know how to handle a situation when they're faced with it.

My father taught me about guns since I was little, let me hold them, taught me safety, told me (as a child) that if I ever wanted to look at them, to come ask him and he would show me. He also said that if I was at anyone's house, and they got out a gun, then I should leave.
We need to educate our kids about this stuff without treating it like it's all bad. This grenade would not have exploded, and people knew that, yet they still chose to flip out and evacuate a school over it. They should have taught the kids to know the difference if a grenade is live or not. If it's gotta big hole in the bottom and there is nothing inside, you can look at it, but if it doesn't put it down and don't jack with the pin.

This is the same kind of crap that goes along with parents shielding their kids from looking or handling firearms. The fact that this kid can even show a grenade (that cannot be detonated) in school for show-and-tell is rediculous.

This is the same logic that anti-gun people use....Guns are bad!! Never touch them!! They kill people!!!...Well so do knives, pencils, football helmets, and a slew of other things. These kids need to be educated in this kind of stuff so they know how to handle a situation when they're faced with it.

My father taught me about guns since I was little, let me hold them, taught me safety, told me (as a child) that if I ever wanted to look at them, to come ask him and he would show me. He also said that if I was at anyone's house, and they got out a gun, then I should leave.
We need to educate our kids about this stuff without treating it like it's all bad. This grenade would not have exploded, and people knew that, yet they still chose to flip out and evacuate a school over it. They should have taught the kids to know the difference if a grenade is live or not. If it's gotta big hole in the bottom and there is nothing inside, you can look at it, but if it doesn't put it down and don't jack with the pin.

Repeat after me: We must be protected from ourselves by those that know better ....:eusa_shifty:

It is NOT illegal to own a grenade shell. It is not dangerous , it is not even a weapon if all it is is a shell. No explosives and no detonator mean it is just a hunk of metal. No more dangerous then a rail road tie or a ball of metal.

If I were the parents of this child I might consider legal action against the school. I would at the least DEMAND they return the shell to me unless they can cite a state law that makes owning a shell illegal. There is absolutely no reason to "turn it over" to the police for disposal. Some cop just got a grenade shell for free.

It is NOT illegal to own a grenade shell. It is not dangerous , it is not even a weapon if all it is is a shell. No explosives and no detonator mean it is just a hunk of metal. No more dangerous then a rail road tie or a ball of metal.

If I were the parents of this child I might consider legal action against the school. I would at the least DEMAND they return the shell to me unless they can cite a state law that makes owning a shell illegal. There is absolutely no reason to "turn it over" to the police for disposal. Some cop just got a grenade shell for free.

It is not illegal by law; however, you need to bear in mind that following the Patriot Act and the onset of national paranoia by those who need someone to protect them, and the violence in schools in recent years. the law has pretty-much had carte blanche if they cam claim they thought it was a threat.

It is not illegal by law; however, you need to bear in mind that following the Patriot Act and the onset of national paranoia by those who need someone to protect them, and the violence in schools in recent years. the law has pretty-much had carte blanche if they cam claim they thought it was a threat.

Wrong. It is not a weapon, it is a piece of metal. You can BUY them, even ship them through the mail. You can declare them and move them via aircraft as well. ( though not declaring them is probably a problem).

The child made clear it was a toy. A simple check of the item made clear it was no weapon. Some cop now has a grenade shell.

Wrong. It is not a weapon, it is a piece of metal. You can BUY them, even ship them through the mail. You can declare them and move them via aircraft as well. ( though not declaring them is probably a problem).

The child made clear it was a toy. A simple check of the item made clear it was no weapon. Some cop now has a grenade shell.

I did not argue that you were legally incorrect. It is however, a discretionary call on the part on law enforcement. If you brandish a toy gun around here, the cop will walk 10 times out of 10 for popping you.

Look at those cops in NY that filled some screwball with 20-something rounds at about twenty feet because he pulled a concealed HAIRBRUSH and threatened to shoot.

While legal to own, what you do with your "toys" can be perceived as illegal.

I did not argue that you were legally incorrect. It is however, a discretionary call on the part on law enforcement. If you brandish a toy gun around here, the cop will walk 10 times out of 10 for popping you.

Look at those cops in NY that filled some screwball with 20-something rounds at about twenty feet because he pulled a concealed HAIRBRUSH and threatened to shoot.

While legal to own, what you do with your "toys" can be perceived as illegal.

This not being one of those cases.

Zackly. You get what you pay for.

Where were those people who knew better when we signed the patriot act that let this crap happen? :eusa_wall:

Where were those people who knew better when we signed the patriot act that let this crap happen? :eusa_wall:

You know what it reminds me of....

Those older cartoons where something would happen, and the paramedics would show up real fast with a stretcher and carry someone of.

They'd be saying "hup hup hup hup hup hup hup" the entire time.
People are so quick to jump to conclusions and so terrified of things that aren't even terrifying...like a dudd grenade with no powder or detonator.

Who is "we"? I've seen a lot of accusations flung around, mostly the left accusing the right, but I certainly did not and do not support the Patriot Act.

I DO support the intent -- to try and improve overall security for this country.

As it stands, it just allows those who carry any kind of authority to abuse the civil liberties of others without much cause.

We were attacked by Arab Muslim extremist terrorists, Rousting little old black ladies at airport security seems kind of stupid to me.

But then, I have no problem with profiling. If the shoe fits ....

To answer your question more specifically, "we" were on political message boards bitching about the stupidity and inherent evil of allowing the state to usurp citizens/ civil rights with the lamest of excuses. Don't forget, the wailing and gnashing of teeth "protect us" was prevalent at the time and many clamoured for it and supported it.

Forum List

Back