This is ridiculous

Rehabilitation doesn't work either. My theory is that hard time as juveniles might work better than asking them to write a letter of apology to someone to they've stabbed. That's not working so hot either.

Some criminals like the comfort of three hots and s cot. That's why they keep going back. Work and paying bills and shit is for suckers.

This was part of a rehabilitation program. Rehabilitation costs money but, presumably, has some effectiveness on recidivism. Would you rather pay them a wage or pay for their future crimes?
Id rather them pay room and board , if they cant afford get they get to stay.

I don't have a problem with requiring prisoners to do labor in return for the cost of their room and board while serving time in jail or prison. I don't have a problem with paying prisoners a modest stipend for doing volunteer and necessary work. It might be the first honest wages that some of those people ever earned in their lives and could start a trend. But no, prisoners should not be paid more than minimum wage when there are law abiding citizens who need and want the work.

If I was mayor I would have put out a bulletin, including the homeless shelters, that able-bodied workers were needed to clear snow and the city would be taking applications until noon (or whatever). If insufficient workers showed up for the jobs, THEN it would make sense to offer them to jail inmates.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if some unemployed in D.C. getting wellfare, food stamps, and whatnot would take a pass on, say, working out in the cold for three hours for a lousy 22 bucks and change.

Maybe they should get them to pick the tomatoes and do the work we can only get the Mexicans to do. Then we can send their checks directly to their illigitimate children that we all know they have and WE support.

Forum List

Back