This is ridiculous

Screaming Eagle

Oct 8, 2009
Prisoners used to shovel snow-bound US capital - Yahoo! News
The US capital paid prison inmates to shovel sidewalks, crosswalks and bus stops after the biggest December blizzard in the city's history, the Department of Corrections said Thursday.

Each inmate was paid 7.50 dollars per hour for their work, he added.
Why do we pay them at all? Why not let some of the unemployed do this work instead?

Gotta agree.....WHY are prisoners being used?

We have PLENTY of Americans out of work who would be glad to pull in $7.50/hr for their efforts at shoveling snow.

They figured congress would be more comfortable to those people more similar to them shoveling the steps... and criminals usually congregate

But $7.50 an hour to a prisoner?? That sounds like more theft...

The US capital paid prison inmates to shovel sidewalks, crosswalks and bus stops after the biggest December blizzard in the city's history, the Department of Corrections said Thursday.

Why do we pay them at all? Why not let some of the unemployed do this work instead?

I say let the prisoners work. for free. they need to pay for their upkeep and quit sponging off the backs of taxpayers.

Because bleeding hearts believe it's their job to boost the moral and confidence of the poor, poor prisoners who are only in prison because somewhere along the way someone looked at them funny and didn't spoon feed them their pablum.

There are 15 plus million Americans out of work according to the BLS and in the D.C. area unemployment is 11.8% so it is surprising that they could not find people that are out of work that could not do those jobs.

Two work crews comprising some 20 prisoners convicted of minor offenses were deployed around the city December 18 and 19, along with two prison guards to watch over them, DOC spokesman Michon Parker told AFP.

---

It said it was part of a rehabilitation program signed with city authorities in 2008 that pays inmates to clean buildings, remove trash and debris and mow grass.

What's ridiculous isn't that they were paid. Minor offenses? Why not sentence them to community service in the first place?

Two work crews comprising some 20 prisoners convicted of minor offenses were deployed around the city December 18 and 19, along with two prison guards to watch over them, DOC spokesman Michon Parker told AFP.

---

It said it was part of a rehabilitation program signed with city authorities in 2008 that pays inmates to clean buildings, remove trash and debris and mow grass.
What's ridiculous isn't that they were paid. Minor offenses? Why not sentence them to community service in the first place?
You have just disqualified yourself from holding public office. Way too much common sense.

Last edited:

Because bleeding hearts believe it's their job to boost the moral and confidence of the poor, poor prisoners who are only in prison because somewhere along the way someone looked at them funny and didn't spoon feed them their pablum.

Trusties have been paid for their work in prison industries, etc., for many years (at least as far back as when my father worked for the BoP); it's placed in an account they receive when they're released. I'm surprised it was that much; from what I understand, most earn just a few dollars an hour. Then again... we're talking NoVA.

---

You have just disqualified yourself from holding public office. Way too much common sense.

Thanks. I think :lol:

Title of the thread " This is ridiculous " and I must say, I agree.

Lets re-cap.... they commit crimes, get free housing, meals and medical care and here is the kicker..... the prisoners get paid more than minimum wage.

Last edited:
This was part of a rehabilitation program. Rehabilitation costs money but, presumably, has some effectiveness on recidivism. Would you rather pay them a wage or pay for their future crimes?

This was part of a rehabilitation program. Rehabilitation costs money but, presumably, has some effectiveness on recidivism. Would you rather pay them a wage or pay for their future crimes?

I'd rather they didn't commit crimes and end up in the system. I guess that's the conservative in me, no sympathy for the perp and far too much for the actual victims.

I'd rather they didn't commit crimes and end up in the system. I guess that's the conservative in me, no sympathy for the perp and far too much for the actual victims.

Unfortunately, policy makers have to live in a different world. They have to find ways to deal with social problems. Obviously, what we've done in the past hasn't worked. Maybe this will.

By-the-way, the article says these were minor offenders. Maybe a few honest dollars will change their minds about a life of crime.

Unfortunately, policy makers have to live in a different world. They have to find ways to deal with social problems. Obviously, what we've done in the past hasn't worked. Maybe this will.

By-the-way, the article says these were minor offenders. Maybe a few honest dollars will change their minds about a life of crime.

Maybe they need to live in the real world, not the lala-liberal-land. I volunteer with homeless people - many of who are ex-offenders - I know enough about offenders to know that a few honest dollars won't change the minds of very many. But if thinking that way makes you feel more validated, have at it.

Its all part of the plan to put half the country on the govt payroll. They just bought more votes for the Dems. Next thing you know they will reinstate their right to vote. Oh wait...

I'm a proponent of giving prisoners work to do. For free. Its called chain gangs.

They prob would have been happy with a Big Mac.

Its all part of the plan to put half the country on the govt payroll. They just bought more votes for the Dems. Next thing you know they will reinstate their right to vote. Oh wait...

I'm a proponent of giving prisoners work to do. For free. Its called chain gangs.

They prob would have been happy with a Big Mac.

No...give em what they give GITMO detainees.....a big Happy Meal.:eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back