This is really getting stupid...

lilcountriegal

Oct 24, 2003
Pennsylvania
I feel like I'm back in elementary school reading some of this crap..

Cleland Tries to Deliver Letter to Bush
18 minutes ago
By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer

CRAWFORD, Texas - Former Democratic Sen. Max Cleland tried to deliver a letter protesting ads challenging John Kerry (news - web sites)'s Vietnam service to President Bush (news - web sites) at his Texas ranch Wednesday, but neither a Secret Service official nor a state trooper would take it.

capt.txpm10108251826.bush_cleland_txpm101.jpg

The former Georgia senator, a triple amputee who fought in Vietnam, was carrying a letter from nine Senate Democrats who wrote Bush that "you owe a special duty" to condemn attacks on Kerry's military service.

"The question is where is George Bush (news - web sites)'s honor, the question is where is his shame to attack a fellow veteran who has distinguished himself in combat?" Cleland asked. "Regardless of the political combat involved, it's disgraceful."

Encountering a permanent roadblock to Bush's ranch, Cleland left without turning over the letter to anyone.

"I have a letter signed by nine members of the U.S. Senate, all of whom have served honorably and I'd like to hand it to a responsible officer here on the gate," Cleland said as he tried to deliver it to security personnel at the roadblock. He accused a member of the president's security detail of trying to evade him.

"I am just going to return the letter and make sure it gets in the mail," Cleland said as he returned to his car.

In their letter, the senators said, "This administration must not tacitly comply with unfounded accusations which have suddenly appeared 35 years after the fact, and serve to denigrate the service of a true American patriot."

A Texas state official and Vietnam veteran, Jerry Patterson, said someone from the Bush campaign contacted him Wednesday morning and asked him if he would travel to the ranch, welcome Cleland to Texas and accept the former senator's letter to Bush.

"I tried to accept that letter and he would not give it to me," said Patterson. "He would not face me. He kept rolling away from me. He's quite mobile."

Patterson, who spoke with the president on the phone, said the campaign asked him to give Cleland a letter for Kerry written by the Bush campaign and signed by Patterson and seven other veterans.

"You can't have it both ways," the letter said. "You can't build your convention and much of your campaign around your service in Vietnam, and then try to say that only those veterans who agree with you have a right to speak up."

On Monday, the president said the group's anti-Kerry advertising should stop, but he refused to denounce it.

"The moment of truth came and went for President Bush to condemn these ads, and he still could not bring himself to do the right thing," Cleland said in a statement.

The senators signing the letter to Bush included Daniel Inouye of Hawaii, Ernest "Fritz" Hollings of South Carolina, Tom Harkin of Iowa, Jack Reed of Rhode Island, Tom Carper of Delaware and Jon Corzine and Frank Lautenberg, both of New Jersey.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/040825/480/txpm10108251826

lilcountriegal said:
I feel like I'm back in elementary school reading some of this crap..

Cleland Tries to Deliver Letter to Bush
18 minutes ago
By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer

CRAWFORD, Texas - Former Democratic Sen. Max Cleland tried to deliver a letter protesting ads challenging John Kerry (news - web sites)'s Vietnam service to President Bush (news - web sites) at his Texas ranch Wednesday, but neither a Secret Service official nor a state trooper would take it.

capt.txpm10108251826.bush_cleland_txpm101.jpg

The former Georgia senator, a triple amputee who fought in Vietnam, was carrying a letter from nine Senate Democrats who wrote Bush that "you owe a special duty" to condemn attacks on Kerry's military service.

"The question is where is George Bush (news - web sites)'s honor, the question is where is his shame to attack a fellow veteran who has distinguished himself in combat?" Cleland asked. "Regardless of the political combat involved, it's disgraceful."

Encountering a permanent roadblock to Bush's ranch, Cleland left without turning over the letter to anyone.

"I have a letter signed by nine members of the U.S. Senate, all of whom have served honorably and I'd like to hand it to a responsible officer here on the gate," Cleland said as he tried to deliver it to security personnel at the roadblock. He accused a member of the president's security detail of trying to evade him.

"I am just going to return the letter and make sure it gets in the mail," Cleland said as he returned to his car.

In their letter, the senators said, "This administration must not tacitly comply with unfounded accusations which have suddenly appeared 35 years after the fact, and serve to denigrate the service of a true American patriot."

A Texas state official and Vietnam veteran, Jerry Patterson, said someone from the Bush campaign contacted him Wednesday morning and asked him if he would travel to the ranch, welcome Cleland to Texas and accept the former senator's letter to Bush.

"I tried to accept that letter and he would not give it to me," said Patterson. "He would not face me. He kept rolling away from me. He's quite mobile."

Patterson, who spoke with the president on the phone, said the campaign asked him to give Cleland a letter for Kerry written by the Bush campaign and signed by Patterson and seven other veterans.

"You can't have it both ways," the letter said. "You can't build your convention and much of your campaign around your service in Vietnam, and then try to say that only those veterans who agree with you have a right to speak up."

On Monday, the president said the group's anti-Kerry advertising should stop, but he refused to denounce it.

"The moment of truth came and went for President Bush to condemn these ads, and he still could not bring himself to do the right thing," Cleland said in a statement.

The senators signing the letter to Bush included Daniel Inouye of Hawaii, Ernest "Fritz" Hollings of South Carolina, Tom Harkin of Iowa, Jack Reed of Rhode Island, Tom Carper of Delaware and Jon Corzine and Frank Lautenberg, both of New Jersey.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/040825/480/txpm10108251826

Heheh. I bet Bush's dad could beat up Kerry's dad.

It's like the whole John McCain thing. Sometimes I wonder of McCain feels like the son of divorced parents, each fighting for his attention and afraid he's going to like the other better.

Jimmyeatworld said:
It's like the whole John McCain thing. Sometimes I wonder of McCain feels like the son of divorced parents, each fighting for his attention and afraid he's going to like the other better.

:laugh: What a great analagy!!!!!!

Does anyone else think that sending a triple amputee there was maybe for a little show? What I mean is,to get a little more attention in the press and make Bush look like a big meanie.heehee As far as McCain goes,If he would stick with one party and quit bouncing all over,maybe no one would fight over him.

Why only mention who signed the letter to Bush? Why not list those that signed the letter to Kerry?

I know why. The question is just rhetorical.

What I think should be advocated by the Bush Campaign is that Kerry is taking advantage of a disabled Viet Nam vet in pulling this stunt. They all knew that he was not invited to the ranch, and there would be this little scene and photo op, which is all it was for the Kerry Campaign. (Remember what the Dems said over the little part of the President's 1st ad showing very briefly a flag draped corpse (I didn't know it was there until the Dems pointed it out).

And the point that has been made concerning why these 8 Senators should carry any more weight than 64 Vets who actually served in some proximity to Kerry is a very good one.

I hope that the public begins to understand how hypocritical the Dems are on this 527 subject.

ConchoBill said:
What I think should be advocated by the Bush Campaign is that Kerry is taking advantage of a disabled Viet Nam vet in pulling this stunt. They all knew that he was not invited to the ranch, and there would be this little scene and photo op, which is all it was for the Kerry Campaign. (Remember what the Dems said over the little part of the President's 1st ad showing very briefly a flag draped corpse (I didn't know it was there until the Dems pointed it out).

And the point that has been made concerning why these 8 Senators should carry any more weight than 64 Vets who actually served in some proximity to Kerry is a very good one.

I hope that the public begins to understand how hypocritical the Dems are on this 527 subject.

Absolutely..C..Just watch for that footage to be a Kerry campaign
commercial soon...saying..President Bush Turns away Veterans..
While J. Kerry loves them all..and is one.. Or something like that. Hummm

Think it'll work?

ConchoBill said:
What I think should be advocated by the Bush Campaign is that Kerry is taking advantage of a disabled Viet Nam vet in pulling this stunt.

I wonder if they would they would use good 'ol Max as much if the general public knew that he was a triple amputee not from fierce fighting, but from horsing around with an American grenade.

lilcountriegal said:
I wonder if they would they would use good 'ol Max as much if the general public knew that he was a triple amputee not from fierce fighting, but from horsing around with an American grenade.

To be fair...
I've never read or heard a thing about "horsing around" with a grenade.

My understanding is...while off-loading from a Helicopter a grenade fell to the ground
and Max picked it up...then it went off...It fell from the vest of a soldier in front
of him.

All these calls upon Bush to shut down the SVFT ads. The standard answer I hear is that Bush legally can't do this. Can someone point me to a link that supports this? I need ammo :smoke:

Mr. P said:
To be fair...
I've never read or heard a thing about "horsing around" with a grenade.

My understanding is...while off-loading from a Helicopter a grenade fell to the ground
and Max picked it up...then it went off...It fell from the vest of a soldier in front
of him.

This site appears to tell the truth about the incident. You have to pick your way through some "opinions", but the facts do seem to sift through the rhetoric.

http://www.vnsfvetakerry.com/who_is_max_cleland.htm

The part I found most appropriate was the closing statement on Ann Coulter's commentary found near the bottom of the page:"Cleland's true heroism came after the war, when he went on to build a productive life for himself. That is a story of inspiration and courage. He shouldn't let the Democrats tarnish an admirable life by "sexing up" his record in order to better attack George Bush."

Clelland served admirably and deserves respect not only for his service and his sacrifice, but also for his tenacity following his injuries. It would seem that the Democrats could be satisfied with the truth of Max Clelland's service, but instead they cheapen it by dressing it up to suit their purposes.

lilcountriegal said:

Max wasn't 'used' or 'sent', he did it on his own.

JIHADTHIS said:
All these calls upon Bush to shut down the SVFT ads. The standard answer I hear is that Bush legally can't do this. Can someone point me to a link that supports this? I need ammo :smoke:

If Bush comes out and asks the Swift Boat Vets to stand down and stop running their ads, it would be considered coordination which is prohibited by McCain-Feingold. So, if he does it, he is essentially doing what Kerry is accusing him of doing. :read:

Simply put, if the swifty's are to quit running their ad's, then all the hollywood morons have to shut up, mm has to shut up, george soros has to shut up...

...EVERYBODY has to shut up! You can't just make ONE group shut up, and not make EVERYBODY ELSE!!!

This whole damn argument about making the swifty's stop is a travisty, and all the frickin' vile, caustic, toilet mouthed, "celebrities", AND the liberal media, just continue bashing the shit out our President DAILY, and no one is calling for THAT TO STOP??!!

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE??!!

DOESN'T ANYONE ELSE SEE THE INJUSTICE AND INBALANCE HERE???!!!

Forum List

Back