‘This is not Russia’: Woman fumes after city moves fire hydrant to the middle of her front yard

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Ah, God Bless her. 77 Years old and still hasn't figured it out. Maybe she is like many other Canadians and has never cared to, now they come for her I suppose.

You're right Betty, this isnt Russia, it's Canada...

‘This is not Russia': Woman fumes after city moves fire hydrant to the middle of her front yard

Betty Duclos opens a beige folder titled “fire hydrant,” because this is a case that requires a proper log of puzzling events.

“This is not Russia. I’m paying my taxes. I should have a say,” Duclos, 77, says looking over documents on the table in her Kanata home. “Someone should have notified me, first of all.”

It all started Jan. 23 with a run-of-the-mill letter from the city, printed on a green paper designed to hang from door handles, that warned her about interrupted water service the next day, lasting between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.

That was no surprise to Duclos. After all, the city maintains the water distribution system and it wouldn’t be the first time it needed to stop the water supply in this Beaverbrook neighbourhood to do the work.

On Jan. 24, Duclos left her Milne Crescent home around 8 a.m. for an appointment. She returned around 4:30 p.m.

In the time she was gone, city workers dug up a fire hydrant between her property and her neighbour’s property and relocated it smack-dab in the middle of the front yard, about six metres front her front stoop.

“Let me tell you, what a shock. I couldn’t believe it,” she says.

There was no warning that the city was relocating the fire hydrant from where it had been for the past 50 years – the same length of time Duclos has lived at her house – or that the hydrant would be plopped down on the edge of her garden.

Ah, God Bless her. 77 Years old and still hasn't figured it out. Maybe she is like many other Canadians and has never cared to, now they come for her I suppose.

You're right Betty, this isnt Russia, it's Canada...

‘This is not Russia': Woman fumes after city moves fire hydrant to the middle of her front yard

Betty Duclos opens a beige folder titled “fire hydrant,” because this is a case that requires a proper log of puzzling events.

“This is not Russia. I’m paying my taxes. I should have a say,” Duclos, 77, says looking over documents on the table in her Kanata home. “Someone should have notified me, first of all.”

It all started Jan. 23 with a run-of-the-mill letter from the city, printed on a green paper designed to hang from door handles, that warned her about interrupted water service the next day, lasting between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.

That was no surprise to Duclos. After all, the city maintains the water distribution system and it wouldn’t be the first time it needed to stop the water supply in this Beaverbrook neighbourhood to do the work.

On Jan. 24, Duclos left her Milne Crescent home around 8 a.m. for an appointment. She returned around 4:30 p.m.

In the time she was gone, city workers dug up a fire hydrant between her property and her neighbour’s property and relocated it smack-dab in the middle of the front yard, about six metres front her front stoop.

“Let me tell you, what a shock. I couldn’t believe it,” she says.

There was no warning that the city was relocating the fire hydrant from where it had been for the past 50 years – the same length of time Duclos has lived at her house – or that the hydrant would be plopped down on the edge of her garden.

What does she know about Russia? :)

In Russia authorities, I think, didn't give her permission to own land, where fire hydrant could be placed...

Forum List

Back