This is just wrong

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
Texas Spends More On Inmates Than Students

State Ranks 33rd Nationwide For School Spending

DALLAS -- As state lawmakers in Austin haggle over funding for school children, an NBC 5 investigation discovered that Texas spends far more on convicts than students, and far less than most other states.

Our discovery was not news to Stanley Kendall, who has been teaching for more 20 years, mostly in Texas but also in his native Indiana.

Comparing the two states, Kendall said it's obvious to him that Texas spends less on education.

"They're cutting teachers, they're making our class sizes bigger, they're wanting us to cut out programs to help kids at risk," he said.

In fact, NBC 5 verified that's true. Texas ranks 33rd in the nation for spending per pupil. Indiana ranks 18th.

NBC 5 also learned that Texas spends far more on the average prison inmate than the average school child.

The state spends $16,063 per inmate and $7,088 per student.

According to teachers like Aimee Bolender, president of the Alliance AFT teacher's union, that spending practice is backwards.

"Students would have a better education and the chance of them becoming prison inmates would be much less," Bolender said.

State Sen. Florence Shapiro, R-Plano, maintains that the prison comparison is unfair, but agrees that schools need more money.

"I know they would not like to see one of those prisoners who's killed somebody come out of prison because we didn't have the $16,000 to keep them behind bars," Shapiro said.

According to lawmakers, they're looking for funding during the current special session.

"We shouldn't just talk the talk, we should be walking the walk," state Sen. Royce West, D-Dallas, said. "We've got to fix public education. We don't need to put a bandage on it, we need to fix it."

The talk at the capitol includes reducing local property taxes, spreading franchise taxes to businesses that don't pay now and broadening the sales tax.

Teachers remain skeptical. "I expect it to be a shell game. I expect money to be moved, but not actually enhanced," Bolender said.

Shapiro favors the governor's plan for teacher pay performance incentives based on students' tests.

However, Bolender and others oppose that idea.

"That's ridiculous. Teachers do not support that. It's not viewed as fair," she said.

"We teachers, if they would talk to us, we could give them some ideas," Kendall said.

Meanwhile, the District of Columbia spends the most per pupil per year, around $13, 000, followed by Connecticut and New York.

NBC5i

I think the inmates should teach the students, then.

They have all the access to the better physical fitness equipment and books anyway.

It could be a "trickle down" effect.

At least we would have better locksmiths, bouncers, and entrepeneurs.
:p:

What's the big deal? Throwing money at kids won't make them smarter.

(shrug).

If you want outrage, take the annual cost of keeping a felon in jail, and contrast it to the average salary of a 20 year old Soldier.

OR...take the $200k Soldiers' families get when they die, and contrast it with the sometimes-MILLIONS of dollars victims families of 911 got.

:-/

Originally posted by dmp
What's the big deal? Throwing money at kids won't make them smarter.

(shrug).

If you want outrage, take the annual cost of keeping a felon in jail, and contrast it to the average salary of a 20 year old Soldier.

how well I remember the mere pittance I got when I was a 20 year old marine

OR...take the $200k Soldiers' families get when they die, and contrast it with the sometimes-MILLIONS of dollars victims families of 911 got.

thats a hell of alot more than they got when I was in. still sucks though.

The best way to take care of this problem would be to dicriminalize the possesion of drugs. There is no reason to send someone to prison simply for having drugs in their possesion. Unless they are selling them to kids, write 'em a ticket and be done with it. Then take all the money we waste on housing these people and put it toward education, including anti-drug programs.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
The best way to take care of this problem would be to dicriminalize the possesion of drugs. There is no reason to send someone to prison simply for having drugs in their possesion. Unless they are selling them to kids, write 'em a ticket and be done with it. Then take all the money we waste on housing these people and put it toward education, including anti-drug programs.

acludem

I'm not convinced this is the best approach. I think a better approach would be mandatory rehab, with something similar to the "three strikes" rule (everybody deserves another chance, but if rehab has been tried a lot and doesn't work, it's hopeless). I say we lower the cost of prisons by making the prisoners work all day and lowering the luxuries. If the prisoners work hard enough, the prison pays for itself.

Originally posted by Hobbit
I'm not convinced this is the best approach. I think a better approach would be mandatory rehab, with something similar to the "three strikes" rule (everybody deserves another chance, but if rehab has been tried a lot and doesn't work, it's hopeless). I say we lower the cost of prisons by making the prisoners work all day and lowering the luxuries. If the prisoners work hard enough, the prison pays for itself.

I think we ought to put 'em all on treadmills to generate electricity.

:whip: :laugh:

acludem

That's not bad!

acludem

With marijuana, I would totally agree. With other drugs, maybe not. I think mandatory rehab might be a good idea though.

acludem

Originally posted by Hobbit

Read this http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5726&highlight=prison

Saves on the cut/paste

Prison costs money, one more reason for the death penalty and an expedited appeals process.

Time to bring back hard labor and take away the comforts now bestowed upon these losers. Obviously the system is not working as it is, no need to keep spending good money.

acludem

Yes, but the number of people in prison has little to do with how much is spent on each inmate.

However, I think it's totally ridiculous that inmates (even those who commit violent crimes!) get so much money set aside for them. What I don't like is how liberals try to make you think that the gov't doesn't actually spend "that much" money on prisoners. That's something that I can't do; I CANNOT and WILL NOT sympathize towards a criminal. Lock them up and throw away the key until their sentence is up as far as I'm concerned. If there are to be "correctional facilities," the prisoner can go their after their sentence is over to learn how to reenter society.

Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie
However, I think it's totally ridiculous that inmates (even those who commit violent crimes!) get so much money set aside for them. What I don't like is how liberals try to make you think that the gov't doesn't actually spend "that much" money on prisoners. That's something that I can't do; I CANNOT and WILL NOT sympathize towards a criminal. Lock them up and throw away the key until their sentence is up as far as I'm concerned. If there are to be "correctional facilities," the prisoner can go their after their sentence is over to learn how to reenter society.

Scroll up and read my post on how to reform prisons. They would, in time, make money. Also, only the truly dangerous would be locked up. Nothings perfect, but it's better than spending more on convicts than kids.

We had a Republican running for Attorney General in PA, Bruce Castor. One of the ideas i liked about him was that he wanted to eliminate parole. He thought that every prisoner should serve their sentence. His a opponent a more moderate to liberal Republican, Tom Corbitt, said that there would be no incentive for prisoners to behave if they had no parole. That quote pissed me off. Prisoners will behave or they will get a baton in the gut, or they will goto solitaire. Unfortunately Corbitt won.

acludem

That actually happened in Fairbanks, Alaska. You can now legally have 2 ounces of marijuana growing, or inside of, your house. I'm not even old enough to drive yet, and I've been offered drugs multiple times, and know too many people who have accepted. If it wern't for my sense to steer away from it, it would be very easy to accept drugs and a dark future into my life. So we could put the drug dealers away for a few years, or have them slowly descend our future generations. Which sounds more reasonable?

Hard labor sounds good. especially with those white collar offenses. that might make some corporate crooks rethink what they did. They will realize how ungrateful they were to have a chance in the business world rather than doing manual labor all their days.

Lets stop paying for plasma tv and cable in prisons and teaching them to work and be prodctive members of society.

Amen to that! But wait, no. The Liberals would say "Oh no, it was society that made these people turn to narcotics! We're monsters, I say we give them more money!"

Forum List

Back