This is Insane: Obama Administration gives final 'NO' to 27 Texas Refinery Permits

This is a insane move to do this. There is no reason to reverse the permit process and this proves Obama with his tool the EPA is intending to wage war against the Petroleum sector. This move along with the drilling moritorium issued today is a telling sign that we in the Petroleum Industry are under attack by a rogue illegal Administration. This is a strictly political move.

EPA gives final "no" to Texas refinery permits: Scientific American

Leading U.S. independent refiner Valero Energy Corp faulted the decision. San Antonio-based Valero has six Texas refineries, the most owned by a single company. The plants employ 2,700 people.

"When the flex permit program was rolled out in 1994, EPA and environmental groups applauded it, and EPA approval seemed implicit," said Valero spokesman Bill Day in a statement. "Now, 16 years later, EPA is reversing course, and our facilities are caught in the middle, creating significant uncertainty at a time when our economy can least afford it".

"The Clean Air Act is the same law that polluters in all other 49 states have to follow, and it's time that polluters in Texas follow it, too," said Luke Metzger of Environment Texas.

Nuff said...

It tells me that Obama is willing to shut down a large percentage of refining capacity over a technicality, throwing thousands out of work.
No doubt he will blame Bush for all of it.

Over a technicality. How dare he....! Who needs safety regs.

Actually, I will go on record not really caring how safe they are down in TX...they don't want those stinking safety regs anyways. Fine by me. Just don't expect help if everything goes boom!

They have nothing to do with safety but with emissions.
But I appreciate your knee jerk reaction that shows what a moron you are.

Then, let them have their emissions...but keep those emissions from wafing over to other states. I expect sucking in those emissions won't change the thinking processes of the Secessionists much.

And this is supposed to help the economy, how?

Is the spill helping the economy?

Are Texas Refineries spilling oil into the Gulf?

Could you be more hyperbolic?

I think I've mentioned before that my son works for a company in Houston that inspects oil refineries for all sorts of things, primarily structural stability since most of them are at least 30 years old, but they also report on regulatory violations (reporting back to the refinery owners, not the government). When he was visiting me over Memorial Day, my son warned that this was coming because the refineries were manipulating compliance when they had no excuse other than they did not want to invest in any upgrades. They were warned and they got caught. Good.

Three years ago these plants were formally warned by the Bush administration that they were in violation of federal law. You can google the particulars if you care. This is not some big surprise. An oil-friendly administration was serving notice on them. That should tell you something.

But of course it won't. They just enjoy their daily swipe at Obama.

Is the spill helping the economy?

I think I've mentioned before that my son works for a company in Houston that inspects oil refineries for all sorts of things, primarily structural stability since most of them are at least 30 years old, but they also report on regulatory violations (reporting back to the refinery owners, not the government). When he was visiting me over Memorial Day, my son warned that this was coming because the refineries were manipulating compliance when they had no excuse other than they did not want to invest in any upgrades. They were warned and they got caught. Good.

The "upgrades" the OP's referring to have nothing to do with safety: they're air quality.

At any rate, you made an interesting (and valid) point: the 27 refineries in Texas are at least 30 years old (I've actually seen units in US refineries that still have swastikas stamped in their manway covers because they were manufactured in Nazi Germany).

Why are all the refineries so old???

Because the government makes investing in refineries such a risky proposition (see OP).

Who in their right mind would invest in a refinery? The government may increase air quality standards tomorrow, or demand that instead of diesel having 15 ppm sulfur (max) it should have 10 ppm sulfur (max). This little 5 ppm S difference may cost the refinery 15 million dollars to meet!

Well yeah thats great instead of just one major problem the administration can't handle now we can have two!!! Yeah!!!

Only Two?

I count at least half a dozen major ongoing problems the Obama Administration can't handle.

I honestly think Barak is gonna crack, and expect him to be "hospitalized for an undisclosed illness for an undetermined time" after November.

Now why would he do that? Even Reagan, who had similar poll numbers at this point in time, hung in there. If it hadn't been for the rallying behind GWB after 911, his polling would have remained in the mid-forties or dismally below 40% once Iraq started going bad, yet he went on to win a second term.

I think all of you people need to pull your heads out of the negative right-wing noise machines, take a deep breath, and start realizing that the whole country hardly thinks as YOU do 100% of the time.

Only Two?

I count at least half a dozen major ongoing problems the Obama Administration can't handle.

I honestly think Barak is gonna crack, and expect him to be "hospitalized for an undisclosed illness for an undetermined time" after November.

Is it that many? You've got:
Oil spill
Afghan War
Bad economy
Resurgent GOP
But I draw a blank on the rest. Granted one problem is too many for this administration to handle.

btw, I thought Obama's every thought was on the oil spill. Didnt he say that? So how come the last time he mentioned it was weeks ago?

Afganistan
Iraq
Oil Spill
Economic Collapse
Iran
Illegal Immigration

This is just off the top of my head.

Yeah, he's just been ignoring all of those issues just to be mean and draw the wrath of idiots who can't pay attention. Only idiots believe any of those issues can be resolved to the satisfaction of all the elements involved in a limited amount of time.

It does not matter they are being allowed to work while the process goes on. Obama and the Dems seem to lack any understanding of the fact that Business hates uncertainty. The uncertainty alone of maybe not having their permits renewed will drive up prices and hurt the economy.

Just like uncertainty about the financial Reform bill and anything else Obama plans to stick to business is also hurting the economy. Obama is completely clueless about market forces.

With "businesses" sitting on one trillion in wealth, I have to ask when they plan to step up to the plate and just deal with any issues they might have with financial reform, health care, etc? Since when do private enterprises not take risks? With that amount of money to invest, they sure as shit not going to go broke. GREED is still the disease that is driving this economy into the ground.

Is it that many? You've got:
Oil spill
Afghan War
Bad economy
Resurgent GOP
But I draw a blank on the rest. Granted one problem is too many for this administration to handle.

btw, I thought Obama's every thought was on the oil spill. Didnt he say that? So how come the last time he mentioned it was weeks ago?

Afganistan
Iraq
Oil Spill
Economic Collapse
Iran
Illegal Immigration

Yeah, he's just been ignoring all of those issues just to be mean and draw the wrath of idiots who can't pay attention. Only idiots believe any of those issues can be resolved to the satisfaction of all the elements involved in a limited amount of time.

So, he's resolved one?

At the risk of offending all here, I read the article to say that the facilities will remain open until a final ruling. At that point if they fail to have a valid permit they will be closed by the EPA.

There is also a reference to changing the standards in the permits (tighter), so I can only assume that will close at least some of the plants. I arrive at that conclusion, because the flexible permit allows are a cumulative air quality score, which helps some dirtier plants function with the better quality of other plants.

Ironically, that's precisely why cap & trade wouldn't work. But the type of spew and trade that allows dirty air is just fine by you folks. Got it.

The "upgrades" the OP's referring to have nothing to do with safety: they're air quality.

At any rate, you made an interesting (and valid) point: the 27 refineries in Texas are at least 30 years old (I've actually seen units in US refineries that still have swastikas stamped in their manway covers because they were manufactured in Nazi Germany).

Because the government makes investing in refineries such a risky proposition (see OP).

Who in their right mind would invest in a refinery? The government may increase air quality standards tomorrow, or demand that instead of diesel having 15 ppm sulfur (max) it should have 10 ppm sulfur (max). This little 5 ppm S difference may cost the refinery 15 million dollars to meet!

There are no new refineries because of the nimby effect. My son also checks out sites for construction of new refineries, and nobody (NOBODY) wants to live within 50 miles of one.

Afganistan
Iraq
Oil Spill
Economic Collapse
Iran
Illegal Immigration

So, he's resolved one?

From your list, he is supposed to resolve any one of them in 18 months? Do you not think there are people working night and day on those problems? (Just as they've always been, by the way.) You're treating major issues as if they're on some sort of "THINGS TO DO TODAY" list. Get real, would ya?

So, he's resolved one?

From your list, he is supposed to resolve any one of them in 18 months? Do you not think there are people working night and day on those problems? (Just as they've always been, by the way.) You're treating major issues as if they're on some sort of "THINGS TO DO TODAY" list. Get real, would ya?

Well, he did promise "Change."

What has he changed?

There are no new refineries because of the nimby effect. My son also checks out sites for construction of new refineries, and nobody (NOBODY) wants to live within 50 miles of one.

Link?

So, he's resolved one?

In other words Sampson, NO he hasn't done squat to resolve any of these issues.

Link?

Seriously, do you think a link is necessary to prove people don't wanna live next to a refinery?

Yes, I'm sure NIMBY is also a factor, but it hasn't prevented the construction of modern chemical facilities (relative to refineries).

Forum List

Back