This is how to get America to conserve

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
World War 1&2 era rationing and conservation posters, slogans, and the like. Worked then, can work again.

Conservation Efforts - On The Homefront: America During World War I and World War II- Classroom Presentation | Teacher Resources - Library of Congress

* Are you helping? with salvage (WWII poster encouraging citizen participation in salvage efforts)
* Americans! Share the meat as a wartime necessity (World War II poster asking Americans to conserve meat during wartime)
* Be a victory farm volunteer in the U.S. Crop Corps (WWII Victory farm volunteer poster)
* Be patriotic, sign your country’s pledge to save the food (WWI US Food Administration poster)
* Do with less--so they'll have enough (WWII poster promoting rationing)
* Forty-two keys to victory (WWII photo depicting typewriter drive)
* The fruits of victory (World War I poster promoting war gardens and food preservation)
* Fuel oil conservation (WWII photo depicting blackout insulation as a method of fuel conservation)
* Get behind the girl he left behind (WWI Victory garden poster)
* Poster distributed by Office of War Information (OWI) to Office of Civilian Defense councils(WWII poster encouraging warm dressing to conserve fuel)
* Ration For Victory (WWII poster depicting equitable rationing plan)
* Registered War Garden under protection of State Council of Defense (WWI war garden poster)
* Rubber reclamation (WWII photo showing scrap tires collected)
* Save scrap for victory! (WWII poster promoting scrap drives to aid in the war effort)
* Save your cans (WWII poster promoting saving aluminum cans to be turned into ammunition)
* School children planting (WWI photo showing school children planting crops)
* Townspeople volunteer to save wartime oil crop (WWII photo showing townspeople saving peanut crop)
* War Gardening and Home Storage of Vegetables (WWI gardening manual)
* War gardens for victory (WWII victory garden poster)
* Wartime food demonstration (WWII photo of demonstration of wartime cookery)
* We are cooperating with the 15,000,000 women who are keeping the home front pledge (WWII poster promoting rationing)
* Your sugar ration is 2 lbs. per month (WWI sugar rationing poster)

We love to say how patriotic we are, how we support the troops, USA number 1, etc. so time to ask Americans to do what our grandparents did and which made them the greatest generation we've ever had.

World War 1&2 era rationing and conservation posters, slogans, and the like. Worked then, can work again.

So you want to ration and conserve...what...exactly?

And why, considering it took a war to get behavior changes during the WW, and nowadays there just isn't that kind of external pressure to create these kinds of motivations?

Why do I / we have to be punished to conserve. The power is available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do I / we have to be punished to conserve. The power is available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course it is. To some folks "conserving" is just a generic tendency, undoubtedly a remnant of America's Puritanical roots. Conservation is good, waste is bad, just a general rule.

Which is why I asked my question, I mean really, are we talking about a plan to conserve...oil? Or hydrogen on the sun? One I can see a behavior change working for, the other, not so much, it is an efficiency game. We use solar flux so poorly it is horrendous. We need to begin the a WWII level of effort immediately to construct a Dyson Sphere to change the game! And that might REQUIRE the full use of all hydrocarbons on this planet to make that long term goal possible.

Power is finite and is coming from somewhere. Ever hear the term 'rolling blackouts?' Usually during Summers (when more use a/c presumedly) the added drain on power grids result in shortages. But rather than loosing power altogether, they deliberately blackout low-usage areas in the off-hours so at peak everyone has enough. But in order to make more electricity, more coal power plants, or fission-based nuclear plants have to be made.

Americans are already using a disproportionate amount of resources for our population. We use 25% of the world's total generated power but only have about 5% of the population. We need to cut that WAY back. Can do it voluntarily now, or by force later. But the 'later' is getting closer every year. And isn't some 'later' decades away but years as already seen in California.

We use too much power, eat and waste too much food, use too much fresh water, and instead of universal recycling, many places still dump everything in one trashbin.

No nation on the Earth is an island. What happens in one effects every other as seen with pollution wafting over to the US from China. If the US cut back significantly we'd be taken more seriously by countries when we come down the mountain telling them not to pollute so much.

Power is finite and is coming from somewhere.

Such a statement in time scale dependent. If your time scale is short, there is no need to worry about the finite nature of oil. If it is longer, it is fair to worry about oil, but certainly not natural gas. Given a million years, it is fair to worry about both….but not the power we can generate from the sun.

Delta4Embassy said:
Ever hear the term 'rolling blackouts?' Usually during Summers (when more use a/c presumedly) the added drain on power grids result in shortages.

No. Peak load resulted in overwhelming the ability to distribute, not the coal, natural gas, solar or wind necessary to satiate said demand. In some cases, such as Enron and California, it is just fraud.

There hasn't been a shortage of something since the 70's, when rationing for fuels took place in States like Pennsylvania, and the regulation of natural gas transportation resulted in lack of incentive to produce what is now obvious to even the most jaded Malthusian…there is more natural gas around than most folks know what to do with.

Delta4Embassy said:
Americans are already using a disproportionate amount of resources for our population.

So your beef originates with a moral argument? Americans have also done more than most of countries on this planet, do things other countries can't, and have accomplished more than some ever will. Exceptional capabilities flow from exceptional inputs.

Delta4Embassy said:
We use 25% of the world's total generated power but only have about 5% of the population. We need to cut that WAY back.

No we don't. You might WANT that, but certainly there is no NEED for it. But feel free to try and sell it to everyone you can, just don't be forcing it on anyone.

Delta4Embassy said:
Can do it voluntarily now, or by force later. But the 'later' is getting closer every year. And isn't some 'later' decades away but years as already seen in California.

Idiots suffering the consequences of their choices is what it is. Don't want to be caught up in California's consequences, I recommend not living there. Some parts of it are quite nice, but it can be dangerous to hang out with delusional folks.

Delta4Embassy said:
We use too much power, eat and waste too much food, use too much fresh water, and instead of universal recycling, many places still dump everything in one trash bin.

There is no such thing as "too much power", but I would agree we waste more than we should. How do you recommend convincing people to waste less, that isn't standard fascism?

Delta4Embassy said:
No nation on the Earth is an island. What happens in one effects every other as seen with pollution wafting over to the US from China. If the US cut back significantly we'd be taken more seriously by countries when we come down the mountain telling them not to pollute so much.

Please…"taken more seriously"…..what a joke. Other countries are free to take us seriously, or not. There should be no more American need to cater to their prejudices and fears than there is to cater to delusional Californians on the consequences of not paying more attention to the level of Lake Mead as of late.

I'll make it easy for all of you - put solar panels on your roofs and windmills in your yards.

In many states they can run through the home and into the grid, directly easing the strain on fuel supply and high demand.

In states where home-sourced energy is taxed, send the energy from the solar panels and windmills into storage batteries to use during power outages and into less-used outlets on the property - like the garage and tool shed, the spare freezer, outdoor lights, etc.

Power is finite and is coming from somewhere. Ever hear the term 'rolling blackouts?' Usually during Summers (when more use a/c presumedly) the added drain on power grids result in shortages. But rather than loosing power altogether, they deliberately blackout low-usage areas in the off-hours so at peak everyone has enough. But in order to make more electricity, more coal power plants, or fission-based nuclear plants have to be made.

Americans are already using a disproportionate amount of resources for our population. We use 25% of the world's total generated power but only have about 5% of the population. We need to cut that WAY back. Can do it voluntarily now, or by force later. But the 'later' is getting closer every year. And isn't some 'later' decades away but years as already seen in California.

We use too much power, eat and waste too much food, use too much fresh water, and instead of universal recycling, many places still dump everything in one trashbin.

America cranks out a disproportionate share of the world's GDP. That takes energy.

I'll make it easy for all of you - put solar panels on your roofs and windmills in your yards.

13.8% of my electricity was generated by windmills in 2013. Approximately 20% of my electrical use came from the panels on my roof. Shooting for 20% next year in the state I believe.

You don't try and teach me how to suck eggs Grandma, and I won't attempt the same with you.

grandma said:
In many states they can run through the home and into the grid, directly easing the strain on fuel supply and high demand.

But of course. Which is why we do it...besides the gizmo factor anyway.

grandma said:
In states where home-sourced energy is taxed, send the energy from the solar panels and windmills into storage batteries to use during power outages and into less-used outlets on the property - like the garage and tool shed, the spare freezer, outdoor lights, etc.

Skip the batteries, they cost too much. Just do net metering and call it a day.

Forum List

Back