CDZ This is how to end this gov't shutdown fiasco

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
I think Trump just needs to go on national TV and say "Congress failed to reach a budget/spending agreement, which will shut down the government because the Democrats didn't get their deal done for DACA. IOW, they care more about illegal immigrants than they do for legal US citizens, it's just that simple. It's not like Congress can't address that issue and come to some agreement later, that's what they're here for. But to stop funding the gov't until they get their way is not what they're here for. Please tell your Congressperson to stop messing around and do their job.".

I think Trump just needs to go on national TV and say "Congress failed to reach a budget/spending agreement, which will shut down the government because the Democrats didn't get their deal done for DACA. IOW, they care more about illegal immigrants than they do for legal US citizens, it's just that simple. It's not like Congress can't address that issue and come to some agreement later, that's what they're here for. But to stop funding the gov't until they get their way is not what they're here for. Please tell your Congressperson to stop messing around and do their job.".
I'd lock them all up in Leavenworth and say call me when you guys reach an agreement.

because the Democrats didn't get their deal done for DACA.

In the current political situation, one in which the GOP have had control of the House, Senate and WH, which has been the case since this time last year, nobody other than sycophantic Trumpkins, is going to believe that the Democrats are to blame. They won't because the fact of the matter is that the Congress has had a whole year to pass a comprehensive budget that spand one, two or three years and they quite simply have not done so. Instead, they've waited until the last minute and last penny has been spent to try to pass not a comprehensive budget but yet another continuing resolution.

Inasmuch the GOP have controlled the House, there is nothing in the world that prohibited them from dealing with this issue months ago; they didn't and here we are and they are trying to blame Democrats for their failure to, for a whole damn year, bring forward a comprehensive budget bill. If you think the polity cannot see through that fabrication, red herring, straw man, you're nuts.

The Republicans have a majority in the House and the Senate, as well as have the presidency.

If the government shuts down, it's because of the GOP.

A GOP Strategy to win the “Shutdown”

so simple that only a Stupid Party could Blow it

So watch as the GOP leaders in the Senate go ahead and let the shutdown occur.

PLAN A: Pass spending bills for each priority from the Vet to the National parks and use reconciliation to allow them to be approved by the senate with 50 votes vs 60. These bills will get signed by the President and the net effect will be the only parts of government left unfunded are parts will be unnecessary stuff (which leads to the question as to why they were funded in the first place).

PLAN B: If for whatever reason reconciliation can’t be used pass the bills in the house and force the Democrats in the Senate into a REAL filibuster, with senators actually staying up all night, holding the floor and giving speech after speech as to why veterans hospitals, or tax refunds etc shouldn’t be funded. The GOP can have even more fun with this by passing bills that fund BOTH democrat and GOP priorities (such as food stamps and government workers along with the VA) and let POTUS go long on twitter hitting Democrats from blocking relief to the poor and the vets.

If the party stays on message and shows half the guts this president does in fighting back they can use this issue to completely turn around the election season. I’d even make sure to pass priorities that fund things in swing district that the Democrats want to hold and allow their candidates to explain to voters why they blocked funding for the very districts they want to win.

This plan is so basic and so obvious that only a stupid party could fail to pull this off.

Full piece @ http://datechguyblog.com/2018/01/19...imple-that-only-a-stupid-party-could-blow-it/

All we're hearing from the Republicans is what we always hear from them, always. "Wahhh, we aren't getting what we want and we want it now!"

The Veruca Salt Republicans.

All we're hearing from the Republicans is what we always hear from them, always. "Wahhh, we aren't getting what we want and we want it now!"

The Veruca Salt Republicans.

The thing is they control the House and Senate, so the only material reason they aren't getting their way is them.
Inasmuch the GOP have controlled the House, there is nothing in the world that prohibited them from dealing with this issue months ago; they didn't and here we are and they are trying to blame Democrats for their failure to, for a whole damn year, bring forward a comprehensive budget bill. If you think the polity cannot see through that fabrication, red herring, straw man, you're nuts.

Mitch has to go, I blame him for keeping the senate in constant turmoil, making working together a dirty word.

SHUTDOWNPANEL.jpg

A GOP Strategy to win the “Shutdown”

so simple that only a Stupid Party could Blow it

So watch as the GOP leaders in the Senate go ahead and let the shutdown occur.

PLAN A: Pass spending bills for each priority from the Vet to the National parks and use reconciliation to allow them to be approved by the senate with 50 votes vs 60. These bills will get signed by the President and the net effect will be the only parts of government left unfunded are parts will be unnecessary stuff (which leads to the question as to why they were funded in the first place).

PLAN B: If for whatever reason reconciliation can’t be used pass the bills in the house and force the Democrats in the Senate into a REAL filibuster, with senators actually staying up all night, holding the floor and giving speech after speech as to why veterans hospitals, or tax refunds etc shouldn’t be funded. The GOP can have even more fun with this by passing bills that fund BOTH democrat and GOP priorities (such as food stamps and government workers along with the VA) and let POTUS go long on twitter hitting Democrats from blocking relief to the poor and the vets.

If the party stays on message and shows half the guts this president does in fighting back they can use this issue to completely turn around the election season. I’d even make sure to pass priorities that fund things in swing district that the Democrats want to hold and allow their candidates to explain to voters why they blocked funding for the very districts they want to win.

This plan is so basic and so obvious that only a stupid party could fail to pull this off.

Full piece @ http://datechguyblog.com/2018/01/19...imple-that-only-a-stupid-party-could-blow-it/

I love it. :)

Already the memes are widely circulated about the Schumer Shutdown and the Dems call Americans Deplorables and illegal aliens Dreamers, and that Dems prefer illegals to citizens. All in all, I think things are going well, and nobody cares if the gov. is shut down anyway. It's not REALLY shutdown, after all --- Social Security checks are going out, welfare proceeding right along, etc. I'll know the government is shut down when Congress all goes home, and not on one of their recesses.

“What we see happening with this Republican strategy is a willingness to threaten the very foundation of the world’s greatest economic power. That is a very risky proposition.”

-White House Press Secretary Jay Carney

“This is much more like what I deal with Henry in the morning when he says he wants to say, ‘I want candy for breakfast.’ It’s really a tantrum; it’s a tea party tantrum. ‘You either give me my way, or we’re going to shut down government.’”

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” Oct. 2, referring to her 5-year-old son, Henry.
Government Shutdown: Chuck Schumer Was Right (Yes Really!)

To me, the most striking thing about the shutdown that is likely over is that through it all Trump played no material role in effecting its end.
  • He didn't give any interviews pertaining to it over the weekend.
  • AFAIK, he held no weekend meetings with Senators to press them one way or another.
  • He floated no proposals for how the matter might be resolved.
In short, Trump appears to have exhibited none of the negotiating leadership, or leadership of any other sort, in effecting an end to the shutdown. His not doing so yet again gives the lie to his claim about his supposedly great negotiating skills. Where were they all weekend long? How exactly did he bring any of them to bear to resolve the impasse?

The fact of the matter is that Trump has very limited negotiating adeptness, and once again he's shown us the woefully wanting limit of them. The OP-er posited what Trump should have done to effect an end to the shutdown, yet it's clear that the only means by which Trump might ever have ended it is by barking out another order, and as we know, Senators members, unlike his minions in Trump Organization, are not beholden to him. Truly, I don't think he realizes that.

To me, the most striking thing about the shutdown that is likely over is that through it all Trump played no material role in effecting its end.
  • AFAIK, he held no weekend meetings with Senators to press them one way or another.
In short, Trump appears to have exhibited none of the negotiating leadership, or leadership of any other sort, in effecting an end to the shutdown. His not doing so yet again gives the lie to his claim about his supposedly great negotiating skills. Where were they all weekend long? How exactly did he bring any of them to bear to resolve the impasse?

The fact of the matter is that Trump has very limited negotiating adeptness, and once again he's shown us the woefully wanting limit of them. The OP-er posited what Trump should have done to effect an end to the shutdown, yet it's clear that the only means by which Trump might ever have ended it is by barking out another order, and as we know, Senators members, unlike his minions in Trump Organization, are not beholden to him. Truly, I don't think he realizes that.
Pretty puny rear-guard action n the face of Schumer's collapse.

Nero Fiddled, Trump Golfed...

I do not disagree that what you have said about Trump is quite striking. However, what I find the most striking is how, now that the tables are turned, BOTH sides are using basically the same arguments their opponents did in '13. Many have barely even changed wording! If that does not tell everyone just how strong these folks are on their "convictions", then may God have mercy on our collective souls. We are fools to keep these people in power, most will say whatever they think is most politically expedient in the moment, trusting (rightly so) that the American public has such a short attention span (and memory) that the fact that they continually contradict themselves will be completely overlooked.

I do not disagree that what you have said about Trump is quite striking. However, what I find the most striking is how, now that the tables are turned, BOTH sides are using basically the same arguments their opponents did in '13. Many have barely even changed wording! If that does not tell everyone just how strong these folks are on their "convictions", then may God have mercy on our collective souls. We are fools to keep these people in power, most will say whatever they think is most politically expedient in the moment, trusting (rightly so) that the American public has such a short attention span (and memory) that the fact that they continually contradict themselves will be completely overlooked.
If that does not tell everyone just how strong these folks are on their "convictions"
LOL That's a kindly impartial way of phrasing it. LOL And props to you for taking such a neutral tack.

If that does not tell everyone just how strong these folks are on their "convictions", then may God have mercy on our collective souls.

Insofar as Trump remains POTUS and Trumpkins, no less ardently than prior to his becoming so, adore him, I'm of the mind that no such mercy has been bestowed.

Forum List

Back