This is beyond crazy.. Navy seal sent to Bellvue hospital in NY

So the cop is at fault for just not believing the SEAL. Gee imagine that! It's not like people never lie. If I was a cop and someone told me that, I would tell him it was a great pick up line at the local bar, but I'd need proof.

Correct.

Now I am curious...why isnt Obama saying the police acted stupidly here?

It is pretty much the exact same scenario....someone claimed to be someone but wouldnt/couldnt prove it with ID.

Curious...those on the left...did the police act stupidly here?

What would really be screamingly funny is if the cop were a woman and heard the line a zillion times before.

Here's more on the story from The Gothamist.

In case you're wondering if there is any identifying mark a Navy SEAL would offer proof to skeptical NYPD officers, the website CyberSEALS ("run by SEALs, and primarily for SEALs,") explains why there isn't:

Many SEAL impostors offer tattoos as evidence that they are actually members of the US Navy’s SEAL Teams...It is perhaps appropriate to point out that the requirements of Operational Security (OPSEC) and Personal Security (PERSEC) are not well served if members of an elite military force like the SEALs are wearing the identifying emblem of their unit tattooed on their bodies. These are not the freewheeling days of wooden ships, canvas sails, and sailors wearing exotic tattoos from unheard-of ports in the primitive South Sea Islands. This is the 21st Century, and the modern Navy is a completely different entity. The popularity of tattoos is increasing, including the SEAL Trident emblem or variations on that theme, and more SEALs do have tattoos today than 30-40 years ago. Still, those tattoos are never offered as proof of SEAL training or SEAL duty. There is no tattoo which is either currently recognized or accepted as a means of identifying certain SEAL members.

NYPD Commits Navy SEAL For Claiming To Be A Navy SEAL: Gothamist

Pickup truck, with out of state plates runs through a red light in Manhattan, firearm with three clips, no ID, claims of being a Navy SEAL (with "top-secret clearance"), "rambling incoherently"...he's lucky that all they did was take him to Bellevue. Usually, it's the precinct.

He should have known that N.Y. city has strict gun control laws.
Part of it was his fault for not having his documentation with him.
If he had done so, then he would not have gotten into the trouble that he did.
Personal responsibility people.
Now illegal search and seizure is a totally different matter.
There was no explanation given as to why the police decided to search his car.

If he allowed them to...he doesn't have a leg to stand on. You can say no.

Why is this even being reported? Sounds like the guy might have issues and I'm pretty certain smearing him all over the media isn't helping him.

Don't use people for tools, you stupid twit that posted this story in an effort to poke at New Yorkers.

To reiterate what nunz cited:

1. the police source said cops thought Day was
"rambling incoherently" and committed him to Bellevue Hospital
for observation.

2. He was going to be treated for Post-Traumatic Stress (This is
highly probable, and there's no shame in it.)

3. If he was "rambling incoherently", they had a legal responsibility to make sure that there was nothing medically wrong with him. Any number of things could have been wrong: low blood sugar, perhaps he'd had a petit mal seizure (not likely, but could happen), drugs, high blood sugar.....hundreds of things could have been wrong. Most people who are okay, don't ramble incoherently.

(NYPD Commits Navy SEAL For Claiming To Be A Navy SEAL: Gothamist)
(Man busted on gun possession really is a Navy SEAL - NYPOST.com)

He ran a red light; I don't think that the citation should have been deferred, but it was. Is he a hell of a hero, YES! Could he have killed someone? Yes.

Cut NYPD some slack. They were simply doing their job, and I see nothing wrong with what they did.

Fox News...sorry....but they need to stop sensationalizing this. The police did everything by the book. And if PD asked him if it was okay if they searched his car and he said yes. They had permission.

Why is this even being reported? Sounds like the guy might have issues and I'm pretty certain smearing him all over the media isn't helping him.

Don't use people for tools, you stupid twit that posted this story in an effort to poke at New Yorkers.
SEALs are monitored regularly for changes in temperment, personality, etc. When I say regularly, I do not mean weekly...I mean they are continually monitored by their superiors...and by psychological professionals for they are ALWAYS on stand-by for a mission.....and when a mission is taking place, the well being of the memebers of the mission falls squarely in the psychological well being of every member of that mission.

I have reason to beleive the "speaking incoherently" was a rumor.

He was stopped by the cops for running a red light. For some reason they thought they should search his car which had a gun and ammo which he is allowed to have having a security clearance .. He said he was a Navy seal. Instead of checking that out with the government they sent him to Bellevue for being crazy.. well he really was and the navy came and got him. Is this how NY treats our heroes
Cops Protecting Your Rights, or Taking Them Away? - Fox Business Video - Fox Business

Speaking from experience, there are some looney toons on the streets. Now if he reeked of alcohol, had several missing teeth, dirty fingernails, smelled and looked like he hadn't showered in weeks, who knows? I'll have to look it up and see a photo. We've all heard bullshit stories of people claiming that they served in the military. And each and every time they tell you a story, it gets more sensational.

I just don't think that they would have taken him to the hospital, unless they thought that he was crazy. He may have been a clean cut guy; but if he was having conversations with imaginary people....sorry....Navy Seal or not...he's sick.

I worked as a dispatcher for central communications before I got into EMS. I don't recall there being a query database on our computer system to check service records. And vehicle stops are among the most dangerous parts of a police officer's job, as many officers get shot on traffic stops. They must have felt threatened or that he needed help, or they wouldn't have done what they did. That one little ride, cost them at least 45 minutes worth of documentation.

So if someone lies about being in the Military, they get sent to mental hospitals now?

Just like the Marine that got popped a few weeks ago for having a gun, the SEAL should know the local gun laws. NY does not trust its citizens with firearms so us law abiding people should not carry there.

What really pisses me off about this story and thread is people mis-use "clips" for "magazines." The two words are not interchangable and are two different pieces of gear.

During my 26 years in Navy Medicine, I saw that when a SEAL was admitted to a medical facility or to Sick Bay aboard ship, his command representatives including the Corpsman showed up quick. It sounds like this dude was taken care of in that aspect.

He was stopped by the cops for running a red light. For some reason they thought they should search his car which had a gun and ammo which he is allowed to have having a security clearance .. He said he was a Navy seal. Instead of checking that out with the government they sent him to Bellevue for being crazy.. well he really was and the navy came and got him. Is this how NY treats our heroes
Cops Protecting Your Rights, or Taking Them Away? - Fox Business Video - Fox Business

Speaking from experience, there are some looney toons on the streets. Now if he reeked of alcohol, had several missing teeth, dirty fingernails, smelled and looked like he hadn't showered in weeks, who knows? I'll have to look it up and see a photo. We've all heard bullshit stories of people claiming that they served in the military. And each and every time they tell you a story, it gets more sensational.

I just don't think that they would have taken him to the hospital, unless they thought that he was crazy. He may have been a clean cut guy; but if he was having conversations with imaginary people....sorry....Navy Seal or not...he's sick.

I worked as a dispatcher for central communications before I got into EMS. I don't recall there being a query database on our computer system to check service records. And vehicle stops are among the most dangerous parts of a police officer's job, as many officers get shot on traffic stops. They must have felt threatened or that he needed help, or they wouldn't have done what they did. That one little ride, cost them at least 45 minutes worth of documentation.

So if someone lies about being in the Military, they get sent to mental hospitals now?

There's a whole lot of misinformation in this thread. People are just making up shit.

SEALs are monitored regularly for changes in temperment, personality, etc. When I say regularly, I do not mean weekly...I mean they are continually monitored by their superiors...and by psychological professionals for they are ALWAYS on stand-by for a mission.....and when a mission is taking place, the well being of the memebers of the mission falls squarely in the psychological well being of every member of that mission.

I have reason to beleive the "speaking incoherently" was a rumor.

It could very well be a rumor; or it could be that it was perceived that way by NYPD. Many police officers are EMT's as well as PD. I would like to know if EMS was called to the scene.

What aggravates me about this story, is that one side or the other is GLAD to have the police intervene, if it aligns with what they feel is appropriate; like OWS. Now, NYPD is being demonized for doing their jobs....again. Some on here demonized them over the arrests at OWS, and now the "other side" is demonizing PD for detaining someone whom they (for whatever reason) felt was a danger to himself or others....or possibly had a medical issue.

They were doing their job in both scenarios. These people are not Barney Fife. Many of them have undergraduate and graduate degrees; and they understand the laws about vehicle searches.

Last edited:

Could you not make shit up to make your 'point'. He was on two weeks leave from the Navy. He was not 'having conversations' with 'imaginary people'.

Why do we need to know about your experience? It's not relevant.

There's a whole lot of misinformation in this thread. People are just making up shit.

That's what it seems like.

He's a fucking meathead coward. He should have taken the Nazi out.
When are these meatheads going to figure out who the REAL enemy is ????

Hint: The enemy doesn't have a diaper on his head and has never seen a camel. He's a registered ______ and is covered by assholes wearing a badge.

Last edited:
back in my day, a good day was not having some hippie spit on you when you were in uniform.

That's something I just can't wrap my mind around, uniformed service people being spit on by hippies. How did that happen more than once? It just sounds like a convenient slur, that has very little grounding in reality. The servicemen I knew wouldn't have let that happen again and everyday would be a good day.

Typical stupid, brainwashed Jarhead. Someone got spit on once.....somewhere.... and immediately this spit was flying everywhere in the US by anyone with long hair. Fucking meatheads.

Just like the Marine that got popped a few weeks ago for having a gun, the SEAL should know the local gun laws. NY does not trust its citizens with firearms so us law abiding people should not carry there.

What really pisses me off about this story and thread is people mis-use "clips" for "magazines." The two words are not interchangable and are two different pieces of gear.

During my 26 years in Navy Medicine, I saw that when a SEAL was admitted to a medical facility or to Sick Bay aboard ship, his command representatives including the Corpsman showed up quick. It sounds like this dude was taken care of in that aspect.

A SEAL who is delusional...or having psychological issues is not released on R and R to the general public.

This is a non story that is now laden with rumors and inuendos.

As fopr the police?

They did exactly what they should have done....taking him to the precinct makes his identification public property...and if he were a SEAL, that is an issue......letting him walk is dangerous if he did not produce ID..and I am sure he did not...

Seeing as they took him to Bellvue, I would assume they likely had reason to believe his story.

Typical stupid, brainwashed Jarhead. Someone got spit on once.....somewhere.... and immediately this spit was flying everywhere in the US by anyone with long hair. Fucking meatheads.

Really?

You were walking with military personnel during the early to mid 70's?

One person got spit on?

Jeez....the US populace spit on every memeber of the military during the Vietnam Conflict.

My comment was exaggerated to make a point.

Go back under your rock.

Forum List

Back