This is beyond crazy.. Navy seal sent to Bellvue hospital in NY

Lovebears65

Gold Member
Apr 17, 2011
Georgia
He was stopped by the cops for running a red light. For some reason they thought they should search his car which had a gun and ammo which he is allowed to have having a security clearance .. He said he was a Navy seal. Instead of checking that out with the government they sent him to Bellevue for being crazy.. well he really was and the navy came and got him. Is this how NY treats our heroes
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1414520326001/

Last edited:
He was stopped by the cops for running a red light. For some reason they thought they should search his car which had a gun and ammo which he is allowed to have having a security clearance .. He said he was a Navy seal. Instead of checking that out with the government they sent him to Bellevue for being crazy.. well he really was and the navy came and got him. Is this how NY treats our heroeshttp://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1414520326001/

I hope someone gets a smack down for this bullshit.

That's New York for ya. I'm sure more details will come out ... like why did they feel they had the right to search his car?

It is an unfortunate fact that - if everyone who claimed to be a SEAL actually was a SEAL - the SEALs would outnumber every other branch of the services. You can usually tell the SEALs by the fact that they don't tell you they are or were. They're a secretive little bunch of ass-kickers.

I'd like all the facts before I form a definite opinion.

It is an unfortunate fact that - if everyone who claimed to be a SEAL actually was a SEAL - the SEALs would outnumber every other branch of the services. You can usually tell the SEALs by the fact that they don't tell you they are or were. They're a secretive little bunch of ass-kickers.

I assume he told them he was a seal after they did a supposed illegal search of his vehicle and found his gun.

He was stopped by the cops for running a red light. For some reason they thought they should search his car which had a gun and ammo which he is allowed to have having a security clearance .. He said he was a Navy seal. Instead of checking that out with the government they sent him to Bellevue for being crazy.. well he really was and the navy came and got him. Is this how NY treats our heroes
Cops Protecting Your Rights, or Taking Them Away? - Fox Business Video - Fox Business

Speaking from experience, there are some looney toons on the streets. Now if he reeked of alcohol, had several missing teeth, dirty fingernails, smelled and looked like he hadn't showered in weeks, who knows? I'll have to look it up and see a photo. We've all heard bullshit stories of people claiming that they served in the military. And each and every time they tell you a story, it gets more sensational.

I just don't think that they would have taken him to the hospital, unless they thought that he was crazy. He may have been a clean cut guy; but if he was having conversations with imaginary people....sorry....Navy Seal or not...he's sick.

I worked as a dispatcher for central communications before I got into EMS. I don't recall there being a query database on our computer system to check service records. And vehicle stops are among the most dangerous parts of a police officer's job, as many officers get shot on traffic stops. They must have felt threatened or that he needed help, or they wouldn't have done what they did. That one little ride, cost them at least 45 minutes worth of documentation.

Last edited:
He should have known that N.Y. city has strict gun control laws.
Part of it was his fault for not having his documentation with him.
If he had done so, then he would not have gotten into the trouble that he did.
Personal responsibility people.
Now illegal search and seizure is a totally different matter.
There was no explanation given as to why the police decided to search his car.

You really expect the cop who stopped him to make the determination as to whether this guy was a SEAL, or even in the Navy, or had the right to have the weaponry he had? REALLY? You expect that the cop is just so well trained he can just "tell", maybe some intiutiion? In NYC there is no "right" to have a gun. Gun control laws are very strict. So the cop us just supposed to know this guy had a security clearance.

Seem like what happened is that the cop acted perfectly. The Navy man was not arrested but taken to a secure facility and the Navy dutifully notified as is appropriate. Run around New York with guns and ammo and something is going to happen.

He should have known that N.Y. city has strict gun control laws.
Part of it was his fault for not having his documentation with him.
If he had done so, then he would not have gotten into the trouble that he did.
Personal responsibility people.
Now illegal search and seizure is a totally different matter.
There was no explanation given as to why the police decided to search his car.

More often than not, a Navy Seal on a mission will not carry documentation.

Now, I do not know the facts, but I know/knew many a navy seal....one still active.

The two I spoke to pretty much said "the story will die. No one was at fault. Leave it alone"

My guess is he was on a mission in NYC...and yes, they DO conduct missions within our shores. We just dont hear about them.

And their missions are not always "capture the bad guys" or "save the hostage"

You really expect the cop who stopped him to make the determination as to whether this guy was a SEAL, or even in the Navy, or had the right to have the weaponry he had? REALLY? You expect that the cop is just so well trained he can just "tell", maybe some intiutiion? In NYC there is no "right" to have a gun. Gun control laws are very strict. So the cop us just supposed to know this guy had a security clearance.

Seem like what happened is that the cop acted perfectly. The Navy man was not arrested but taken to a secure facility and the Navy dutifully notified as is appropriate. Run around New York with guns and ammo and something is going to happen.

You are correct. He was not taken to Bellvue becuase he was thought to be nuts.
He was brought to Bellvue where his identification could be confirmed by his CO.

Bellvue is a psychiatric facility....people brought there are offered anonymity that a Navy Seal would need.

Leave it alone. It is a non story.

When I was in the Navy cops treated me very well. Got out of tickets a couple times when I was in uniform.

thanks for your service....

But....

You allowed your uniform to afford you special rights?

That wasnt my style back in my day....but then again, back in my day, a good day was not having some hippie spit on you when you were in uniform.

I assume he told them he was a seal after they did a supposed illegal search of his vehicle and found his gun.

My point, lots of people claim to be SEALs. Most are not. I can't blame the cops for being skeptical about that. Many are called, few are chosen... that sums up the SEALs.

My point, lots of people claim to be SEALs. Most are not. I can't blame the cops for being skeptical about that. Many are called, few are chosen... that sums up the SEALs.

My guess is he never identified himself as a SEAL. He likely identified himself as working for the military...and he was brought to Bellvue for anonymity purposes where he can contact his XO or his CO.....

Sounds like he might be suffering from PTSD.

Shaun Day, 29, was on a two-week leave when cops harpooned him for running a red light at 12:30 a.m. at Second Avenue and East 26th Street.

When cops searched his pickup truck, they discovered a 9mm semiautomatic and three ammunition clips.

During the arrest, Day was rambling incoherently and harped that he was a SEAL — but had no proof for cops.

He claimed he was an elite commando with “top- secret clearance,” cops said.

Sources told The Post the Navy sent staffers to talk to Day in Bellevue Hospital, where he was undergoing a psychiatric evaluation.

“He was released [Friday] in their care, and they were going to treat him for post-traumatic stress,” a source said.

Read more: Man busted on gun possession really is a Navy SEAL - NYPOST.com

Sounds like he might be suffering from PTSD.

Shaun Day, 29, was on a two-week leave when cops harpooned him for running a red light at 12:30 a.m. at Second Avenue and East 26th Street.

When cops searched his pickup truck, they discovered a 9mm semiautomatic and three ammunition clips.

During the arrest, Day was rambling incoherently and harped that he was a SEAL — but had no proof for cops.

He claimed he was an elite commando with “top- secret clearance,” cops said.

Sources told The Post the Navy sent staffers to talk to Day in Bellevue Hospital, where he was undergoing a psychiatric evaluation.

“He was released [Friday] in their care, and they were going to treat him for post-traumatic stress,” a source said.

Read more: Man busted on gun possession really is a Navy SEAL - NYPOST.com

Sources?

Really?

Sources say?

Does the post not know about the SEALS and the fact that clearance does not allow "sources" to know ANYTHING AT ALL?

Are you aware that a SEAL has WH clearance? You think "sources" reveal what a SEAL is doing?

Sources say....the Post should be ashamed of itself.

My guess is he never identified himself as a SEAL. He likely identified himself as working for the military...and he was brought to Bellvue for anonymity purposes where he can contact his XO or his CO.....

That sounds more realistic to me.

And one could hardly blame the cops for being suspicious... SEALs do not necessarily stand out as being 'military'.

Last edited:
So the cop is at fault for just not believing the SEAL. Gee imagine that! It's not like people never lie. If I was a cop and someone told me that, I would tell him it was a great pick up line at the local bar, but I'd need proof.

Forum List

Back