THIS is an outrage!!!!

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
Is it a documentary? Is a educational film for parents who are concerned about genetic disorders their childen might be afflicted with and are considering genetic testing on their unborn babies? NO!!!!! It's a play and not your average "run of the mill" play, it's a fecking musical!! A musical!! Unreal!!

Grits playing with health

AS PATIENTS languish in long lines for critical medical services, the federal government has dropped a quarter-million dollars to fund a musical about genetic selection.

Orchids, a theatrical production about the ethical wrangling of women testing their embryos for genetic mutations, earned $183,000 in funding from the federally-funded Canadian Institutes of Health Research and another $67,000 directly from Health Canada.

The production aims to solicit public opinion through a post-show audience discussion, where researchers take feedback to help shape government policy.

The play debuted to a tiny audience of 30 in Vancouver and arrives in Toronto this week.

Declaring the federally funded project "absurd," Conservative health critic Steven Fletcher said the move shows the Liberals' contempt for Canadians reeling from a chronically underfunded health system.

"If someone is in pain or dying because they're on a wait list, a musical is the last thing they want to hear or think about," he said. "They want solutions to their problems."

Fletcher said the money could have been better spent on almost any other health initiative -- from finding cures for cancer or diabetes to compensating the Hep C victims of the tainted blood scandal. He said it's "insulting" and "callous" to waste money on a play when patients can't access critical services.

Ken Polk, spokesman for Health Minister Ujjal Dosanjh, distanced his department from the project, insisting CIHR makes "independent" grant decisions.

CIHR spokeswoman Marie-France Poirier said all funded projects endure "rigorous" peer review to ensure the highest standard of research excellence. Anything that relates to health research and enhancing the lives of Canadians is eligible, she said.

"This new health technology through theatre is a new and valuable way to engage the public's understanding of the implications of this topic," she said.

The federal agency funds more than 8,500 researchers across Canada and had a $662-million budget for 2004-2005.

Link

Said1 said:
Is it a documentary? Is a educational film for parents who are concerned about genetic disorders their childen might be afflicted with and are considering genetic testing on their unborn babies? NO!!!!! It's a play and not your average "run of the mill" play, it's a fecking musical!! A musical!! Unreal!!

Link

Unreal is right. For once, I really don't think I can adequately convey how I feel. :happy2:

GunnyL said:
Unreal is right. For once, I really don't think I can adequately convey how I feel. :happy2:

If I could get my hands on some free tickets (and it came to Ottawa) I'd go and heckle, throw toast etc. This is sick. Perhaps people should consider genetic testing BEFORE they decide to have children!! The government should just put that on a bumper sticker!

Said1 said:
If I could get my hands on some free tickets (and it came to Ottawa) I'd go and heckle, throw toast etc. This is sick. Perhaps people should consider genetic testing BEFORE they decide to have children!! The government should just put that on a bumper sticker!

While I can certainly see teh medical possibilities of genetic research, I think the harm that's eventually going to be done will outweigh the good. It's just too much power in the hands of the wrong people.

sometimes I think liberals say ridiculous shit just to fuck with us. I guess it keeps life interesting.

Oi, someone's got some explaining to do for that. If i pay taxes for healthcare, i damn well get me closer to seeing a doctor.

Forum List

Back