This is America

theDoctorisIn

Platinum Member
Senior USMB Moderator
Aug 12, 2009
In the center of it all
There's a new song out by Childish Gambino - the rap persona of the actor Donald Glover.

The song, and perhaps even more so the video have some interesting, and certain to be controversial, themes - he's asking a lot of questions, but not really providing any answers.

I don't really know where this discussion should go, but let's start with the video itself.

You can tell there was more visuality representation than many hump and grind rap videos with da bitches and da hoes. One does have to watch it more than once to get to all the Easter eggs.

During my brief incarceration in Catholic school we had Sisters who did rap.

Screen-Shot-2013-09-29-at-10.52.18-AM.png

There's definitely this idea that the song and the video are meant to be taken together (rather than the video serving as an advertisement to buy the song, as many music videos are).

As of now, this isn't part of an album - he released the song and video online simultaneously as he performed it as a musical guest on Saturday Night Live last week.

This discussion should start with a seditious pieces of crap getting hanged. Without that pop-sappy crap being taken into consideration. That's my opinion.

Last edited:
There's definitely this idea that the song and the video are meant to be taken together (rather than the video serving as an advertisement to buy the song, as many music videos are).

As of now, this isn't part of an album - he released the song and video online simultaneously as he performed it as a musical guest on Saturday Night Live last week.
At first, I thought he was the old Danny Glover..

N1gga can pull a pistol on me all day, zero fucks given. Problem for him is, I'm 150 yds away, with his noggin dialed in. Blast that retarded melon into next week.

I have one pistol, you think I'd stand for the bullshit in the OP?

I'll clue you in, Oh fuck no, I would not.

N1gga can pull a pistol on me all day, zero fucks given. Problem for him is, I'm 150 yds away, with his noggin dialed in. Blast that retarded melon into next week.

I'm frustrated because I can't be dialing in a gun right now.

It's a representation of the black view of America...Nothing good, all bad....damn..

I don't think that's it.

At least from my perspective, he's asking more questions than he's answering - and recognizing the conflicts and shades of gray in everything. It's certainly not a happy statement - but I don't think it's as simple as "everything bad".

Maybe this is all just part of my reaction to it, rather than his intention - but I see a lot of conflict in the video.

It's kind of weird he is shooting those people, when it's supposed to symbolize other people.

Also the mix of heavy and soothing music is kind of weird. I might have preferred it if it was heavy hip hop all the way. Dunno. That's a matter of taste though.

Last edited:
It's a representation of the black view of America...Nothing good, all bad....damn..

I don't think that's it.

At least from my perspective, he's asking more questions than he's answering - and recognizing the conflicts and shades of gray in everything. It's certainly not a happy statement - but I don't think it's as simple as "everything bad".

Maybe this is all just part of my reaction to it, rather than his intention - but I see a lot of conflict in the video.

Not to mention blasting a restrained man's brains to kingdom come.

I don't think that's it.

Not to mention blasting a restrained man's brains to kingdom come.

:lol:

You know this is fictional, right?

That actor didn't die. He's still alive.

:lol:

What?

I'm saying he'd go to pull that trigger, and I'd drop his fucktarded ass.

"Oh, he's gonna do it". He'd never hear a damn thing, and his melon would be a-splattered.

Forum List

Back