This is a bad verdict

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I do not see how this can be justified even under the specious reasoning the jury used.

A jury ruled yesterday against a woman who claimed her reputation was damaged after she was featured on a "Girls Gone Wild" video. What makes this case remarkable is that she didn't expose her own breasts - she was assaulted. STLToday reports that the woman, identified only as Jane Doe, was dancing in at the former Rum Jungle bar in 2004 when someone reached up and pulled her tank top down, exposing her breasts to the "Girls Gone Wild" camera. Jane Doe, who was 20 at the time the tape was made, is now living in Missouri with her husband and two children. She only found out about the video in 2008, when a friend of her husband's saw the "Girls Gone Wild Sorority Orgy" video and recognized her face. He called up her husband, and in what has got to be the most awkward conversation ever, informed him that his wife's breasts were kinda famous.
The woman sued Girls Gone Wild for $5 million in damages. After deliberating for just 90 minutes on Thursday, the St. Louis jury came back with a verdict in favor of the smut peddlers. Patrick O'Brien, the jury foreman, explained later to reporters that they figured if she was willing to dance in front of the photographer, she was probably cool with having her breasts on film. They said she gave implicit consent by being at the bar, and by participating in the filming - though she never signed a consent form, and she can be heard on camera saying "no, no" when asked to show her breasts.

Jury Decides Consent Is Not Required For Girls Gone Wild

If you want to have some fun go to River Front Times and let them know how you feel about them naming the victim of a sexual assault as Ass Clown of the Week.

3. Jane Doe: The unnamed woman from St. Charles who lost her http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2010/07/girls_gone_wild_wins_lawsuit.php $5-million lawsuit vs. Girls Gone Wild this week for airing video of her topless. Doe was caught partially nude after someone pulled her shirt down at a nightclub on Laclede's Landing. A St. Louis jury ruled that although Doe did not verbally consent to appearing nude in the film, she asked for it by dancing and performing in front of GGW cameras.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2010/07/ass_clown_of_the_week_july_23.php

So she has the perp. on film. Why isn't she or didn't she file sexual assault charges against him when the incident occurred if she was so upset about it?

So she has the perp. on film. Why isn't she or didn't she file sexual assault charges against him when the incident occurred if she was so upset about it?

I wouldn't put too much stock into a Jezebel article. They're the same people who accused Jon Stewart of being sexist because only 40% of the staff was female. Despite the fact that Jezebel itself is a all-female staff.

Better off finding the original article without all the bias.

It might have been her husband.

But that isn't really the point. My wife flashes me all the time (woo-hoo!), however, if I were to invite camera's into it, and then release a videotape of it for sale, it would be a whole 'nother ball of wax.

She shoulda won. I don't think $5 million, but she shoulda won.

My opinion on the actual verdict: If she's at the bar, dancing in front of the cameras for Girls Gone Wild, then I'm not sure what exactly she was expecting. Someone taping a video for Girls Gone Wild isn't going to be taping someone unless they're going to show skin. That's their whole thing.

What I find interesting and what is completely overlooked here is that she's 20 and at this bar. She shouldn't of even been there in the first place probably.

The woman's lawyers had asked for about $5 million, including the $1.5 million they estimated the company has made on the video in question, called "Girls Gone Wild Sorority Orgy."

And another thing, asking for $5 million is a quick way for them to think your lawsuit is ridiculous.

I don't know.
Why would somebody be hanging around "girls gone wild" cameras?
I mean, everybody knows what they do; if you don't want to be on film, why be there?

In my opinion she knew what she was getting into. She knew who was filming. She knew the cameras were there. She knew what girls gone wild puts out for entertainment. Everyone there implies consent by participating in the event.

Truthfully the whole "spring break" thing is bullshit.

I agree AB, its about money. If she felt she was assaulted then the time to whine about it was then.

Great point MB about her being underage at a bar.

My opinion on the actual verdict: If she's at the bar, dancing in front of the cameras for Girls Gone Wild, then I'm not sure what exactly she was expecting. Someone taping a video for Girls Gone Wild isn't going to be taping someone unless they're going to show skin. That's their whole thing.

What I find interesting and what is completely overlooked here is that she's 20 and at this bar. She shouldn't of even been there in the first place probably.

The woman's lawyers had asked for about $5 million, including the $1.5 million they estimated the company has made on the video in question, called "Girls Gone Wild Sorority Orgy."

And another thing, asking for $5 million is a quick way for them to think your lawsuit is ridiculous.

You can be 18 and get into bars, just depends on the state. In Florida, 18 to enter, 21 to drink.

I don't buy the jury's logic. It is like saying if some woman goes with me to a restaurant and a movie, she is consenting to rape afterwards.

She was consenting to being filmed dancing clothed. Not being filmed topless. Even the guys doing the filming agree she was not willing to have her top removed. They did it by force.

I don't buy the jury's logic. It is like saying if some woman goes with me to a restaurant and a movie, she is consenting to rape afterwards.

She was consenting to being filmed dancing clothed. Not being filmed topless. Even the guys doing the filming agree she was not willing to have her top removed. They did it by force.

Thanks, that is what I was trying to say. You said it better.

She deserved something but no one's tits are worth 5 mil. (Not even mine) lol

The girls that do consent to be taped are going to regret it one day. Dumb dee dumb dumb.

You can be 18 and get into bars, just depends on the state. In Florida, 18 to enter, 21 to drink.

I see. Well Baruch did make a very good point. I'm just pointing out how she shot herself in the foot with the actual lawsuit and I can see where the jury was coming from on that one.

I see. Well Baruch did make a very good point. I'm just pointing out how she shot herself in the foot with the actual lawsuit and I can see where the jury was coming from on that one.

Yeah, $5 mil way too much.

But I'd go with $1 or $2 mil. I mean, this shit has the possibility, even though small, of impacting her future earnings potential.

On a side note, the guy who started the GGW series is a complete douche. He was busted and locked up in my old hometown for a while. I lost track of the story, don't know if he's still rotting in jail there or not.

But I'd go with $1 or $2 mil. I mean, this shit has the possibility, even though small, of impacting her future earnings potential.

On a side note, the guy who started the GGW series is a complete douche. He was busted and locked up in my old hometown for a while. I lost track of the story, don't know if he's still rotting in jail there or not.

Yeah, that guy is a douche. But I mean it's not surprising considering what the whole concept of GGW is.

Same in Arkansas and Missouri I know, IF the bars have a menu. No menu, no admittance under 21.

This verdict was correct. Who sees a Girls Gone Wild camera crew and thinks "nah they won't film me dancing naked?"

Yeah, that guy is a douche. But I mean it's not surprising considering what the whole concept of GGW is.

Damn, he got out two years ago.

'Girls Gone Wild' Producer Finishes Jail Term

But while there he attempted to bribe officers. lol.

'Girls Gone Wild' Founder Joe Francis Charged With Bribing Jail Guard, Having Prescription Pills in His Cell - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment - FOXNews.com

Same in Arkansas and Missouri I know, IF the bars have a menu. No menu, no admittance under 21.

This verdict was correct. Who sees a Girls Gone Wild camera crew and thinks "nah they won't film me dancing naked?"

She didn't intend to be naked. THATS the point of the story.

The jury was wrong, wrong, wrong...and the damages sought are not so much proportionate to her lost future earnings as they are what will it take to curb this misconduct by the producers in the future?

I walked into my local drug store one afternoon only to find that a film crew was there, filming members of some local sports team and their cheerleaders as they schmoozed the public. Did not wanna be involved...just wanted my aspirin. Being around a camera crew is hardly "implied consent" to have one's sexual assault filmed and distributed.

Should she have asked for more?

Or less?

How exactly was suing someone who made money off of her without her consent frivolous?

Isn't there a word for that? Didn't the 14th amendment make that illegal?

Forum List

Back