This Independence Day, We're More Dependent On Government Than Ever Before...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by paulitician, Jul 4, 2012.

1. paulitician

paulitician Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,976
    And that's just the way Big Brother likes it.

Good article by Roger Custer

What do we celebrate on this Independence Day? It’s not just independence from Britain —it’s America’s independent spirit and commitment to free markets. Some call it the American Dream.

As we watch fireworks, eat barbeque and reflect on our history, our independent spirit is threatened by increased government dependence. The Heritage Foundation reports that today more than one in five Americans, or about 67 million, depend on the federal government for assistance, more than ever before. Thanks to Obamacare, we are set to become even more dependent on federal programs.

There are federal programs covering many parts of life. Mike Brownfield reports that “a full 70 percent of the federal government’s budget goes to pay for housing, food, income, student aid, or other assistance, with recipients ranging from college students to retirees to welfare beneficiaries.” To implement these programs, Congress has exercised powers not authorized by Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution.

The Founding Fathers would be surprised by the growth of the federal government and Americans’ dependency on it. Patrick Henry said, “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” When one in five Americans depend on government and fewer than half pay income taxes, people are not restraining the government.

Congressman Allen West doesn’t see the dependency trend reversing any time soon. As he wrote in a February blog post, “With the impending retirement of 77 million baby boomers and the continued liberal march toward government involvement in all parts of life, the trend in the number of Americans dependent on Washington seems to have only one direction: up.”

However, he does have confidence that “the essence of the American spirit does not want to be obliged to government for our daily routine. Americans want to fight for their independence and be successful providers for themselves and their families.” This is the independent American spirit that we celebrate on the Fourth of July...

Read more: This Independence Day, we're more dependent on government than ever before | The Daily Caller

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Wacky Quacky

Wacky Quacky Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +376
    Obamacare is hardly what broke the camel's back. Our government has been in the business of behavioral modification for some time now.

3. Sinjorri

Sinjorri Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +267
    its time for it to get out, i can understand helping, with an exit plan, i can understand helping those that need it, wounded soliders and true disabled people, but i loathe teh pig that abuses the system.

4. regent

regent Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    With so many of us dependent on govenment, it may come to pass, that we may have to choose between making endless wars, outsourcing jobs, helping other nations, and helping our own citizens.

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,204
    Then let's choose to act without the government.

6. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    lol, and yet you plan to vote for Mitt Romney, the guy that supported near all of Obama's big policies before Mitt ran for President.

About the OP, sad but true.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502

Precisely. Take yourself OUT of the system as much as you can...and just DO.

8. Misty

Misty Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,308

We have 2 choices and I'm not voting for Obama so now I have one choice, Romney. I don't like but that is just how it is.

9. TruthSeeker56

TruthSeeker56 Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +496
    Maybe Obama will declare, via Presidential Executive Order, that every day EXCEPT July 4th will be known as "Dependence Day".

It's the ultimate wet dream of the Obamanistas.

10. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    Huh... It sounds like you have 2 choices because that is as many as you will allow. Last time I checked I and you can still vote for anyone. You can vote third party, you can vote for your dad, your mom, your brother, a friend and even Mickey mouse.

I will not tell you or anyone else who to vote for but try being honest and admit *YOU* have 2 choices, or I might think you're trying to tell me I am limited to who I can vote for when you was *WE* have 2 choices.

If you vote for a crappy candidate (someone you don't like), that says something about you, not me.