This guy ROCKS!

Comrade

Jan 9, 2004
Seattle, WA.
http://www.bravewords.com/news.html?id=14029

While it’s small potatoes, from a Canadian magazine interviewing an American rock band leader of “Iced Earth” it’s fascinating to read, nonetheless.

I've never even heard of this band, but the way band leader Jon Schaffer addresses the Canadian vis-a-vis the political aspect of the questioning... he really impresses the hell out of me. A no-nonesense type of rock star.

BW&BK: "This next question is controversial so I'm letting you know before we proceed. Some political analysts have articulated the view that what happened on September 11 was justified due to America's presence in the Middle East, specifically Saudi Arabia. Some political analysts view it as retaliation for what the US has done in the Middle East in the past. As a Canadian, I'm interested in hearing what you have to say about this view that's been put forth by analysts."

JS: "No, it wasn't justified. Not at all. And anybody who says so needs to have their fuckin' head examined."

BW&BK: "Do you think 9/11 will be viewed as the first event in the US empire's decline and fall?"

JS: "No. This is not an empire, first of all. If the United States was an empire, your country would be our 51st state."

BW&BK: "I understand."

BW&BK: "As someone who loves history, do you see parallels between the US and the Roman Empire?"

JS: "The only parallels I see between those two are that if we are not careful we will end up like the Roman Empire and it will be because of a lack of morals. This politically correct stuff in our country is like a cancer. The only thing that can destroy our country is us. Not some fuckin' terrorist piece of shit who is nothing but a complete coward that attacks civilians and then goes and runs and hides in a cave. That kinda shit... they're so far over the edge and brainwashed freaks. Those people can't hurt us. I don't care if we get attacked another twenty times. You can bring on another ten 9/11s. All it's going to do is make us stronger. I love the ideals the US stands for. But I'm not the kind of person who says we're the best country in the world and that we should push everybody around. I think some people misunderstand that. I respect other countries. I go to other countries all the time and I never talk down to the people in those countries when I'm a guest. I don't try to like shove our way of life down other people's throats. And that's not what this record is. If you understood how many people in our country and how many young kids have no fuckin' clue about history and why they have the things they have, it's frustrating to me as someone who has studied this stuff and cares deeply about it. It's kind of a big deal. I don't think anybody has all the answers for all the world's problems. But I believe if you look at the tax burden the American people have for helping so many people around the world, constantly. It's huge. People can't deny that, but it's easy to forget when people want to turn their backs on us."

………

BW&BK: "I'm glad you ended it on that note. I'm as proud to be Canadian as you are to be American. Your words speak for themselves, and I don't know how I could spin this story."

JS: "Well, that's cool. But the way you asked your questions, you were asking biased questions. Calling our president the Bush regime? That's a tainted thing, dude. That's not like saying, 'How do you feel about President Bush?' Saying 'Bush Regime' is a bullshit way of saying it. That's spin, alright?

I read this the other day, Andrew Sullivan linked. He does 'rock' and how interesting that someone with his background has a sense of history!

Comrade:

thanks for this post. Stuff like this gives me the strength to go on. Common sense, wherever one finds it, is always as welcome as water to a parched man lost in the desert.

You are right, read the interview - wnet to the link and listened to the three songs.

Although not a heavy metal fan, I liked what I heard. Will probably buy the CD just to support someone who feels about our country the way I do. I did not know there were people in the arts that were not liberal American haters. How cool.

That was good. Although I thought the Roman Empire collapsed because their borders were too wide and so they couldn't defend from either the outside or within.

no wonder they sound like Judas Priest.

http://www.spv.de/eng/icedearth/default.html

There’s no doubt that with their new singer Tim Owens (Ex-Judas Priest) ICED EARTH are on the right track.

Rock On!!!!
music049.gif
music049.gif
music049.gif

>That was good. Although I thought the Roman Empire collapsed because their borders were too wide and so they couldn't defend from either the outside or within.<

It depends on who you talk to. Some would say which I am one that Rome collapsed because its morals and patriotism did break down. They relied on mercenary soldiers ( many were former enemies ) to defend the empire. You don't put your life on the line for a simple paycheck. That's why I have a tremendous respect for military. They put their life on the line for us not the miniscal pay we give them.

amazing!!!!

it's about time someone in the entertainment industry got a clue.

Bush regime? !@#$@#$%! michael fatass moore-loving Canadians!

oh, sorry for my political INcorrectness :D

Forum List

Back