This guy is badass

Not entirely typical choices, but two of my favorite guitarists that haven't been mentioned are Tom Morello and Jack White. Tom Morello takes a totally unique approach to the instrument, whereas Jack White is great at pulling some great emotions out of a few simple chords.

Dan said:
Not entirely typical choices, but two of my favorite guitarists that haven't been mentioned are Tom Morello and Jack White. Tom Morello takes a totally unique approach to the instrument, whereas Jack White is great at pulling some great emotions out of a few simple chords.
Tom Morello can do CRAZY shit with a guitar, and most impressively, he can repeat it almost perfectly live.

Said1 said:
To start...

Jim Root & Mick Thompson - Slipknot
Dimebag Darrell - Pantera
Jon Donais - Shadows Fall
Kerry King - Slayer
Head & Munky - KORN
Stephen Carpenter – Deftones
Dave Mustaine & Marty Friedman - Megadeth

JOKER96BRAVO said:
To start...

Jim Root & Mick Thompson - Slipknot
Dimebag Darrell - Pantera
Jon Donais - Shadows Fall
Kerry King - Slayer
Head & Munky - KORN
Stephen Carpenter – Deftones
Dave Mustaine & Marty Friedman - Megadeth

I saw slipknot live once. I definitely did not "get it"

Have you seen the new Korn video Twisted Transistor? Funny shit.

The ClayTaurus said:
I saw slipknot live once. I definitely did not "get it"

Have you seen the new Korn video Twisted Transistor? Funny shit.
I don't understand "get it". What couldn't you get, I may be able to help.

I love that video.
Snoop's a riot.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
I don't understand "get it". What couldn't you get, I may be able to help.

I love that video.
Snoop's a riot.

Slipknot, in general, is what I don't get. I watched their hour long set and found myself completely unable to find anything to latch on to. It was chaotic and unorganized in a bad way... and I was at Ozzfest so I saw plenty of heavy bands that I thought were excellent. I just don't get the slipknot thing, a couple of their songs I can tolerate but, for the most part, I guess I'm just not a maggot (do they still call their fans that?)

Plenty of people do love them some slipknot, I just have never been able to see what everyone else does.

That video in general is just really funny. Xzibit does a hilarious fieldy impression, and David banner making fun of pretty boy silvera is brilliant. The best is the end though, when Korn are in those shiny suits.

"We're like a barbeque; we're all different meats, but, we're smothered in the same sauce"

"We're all black, when the lights go out..."

Here's the video if anyone else wants to watch it, but if you're not familiar with Korn you probably won't find it as funny.

The ClayTaurus said:
Slipknot, in general, is what I don't get. I watched their hour long set and found myself completely unable to find anything to latch on to. It was chaotic and unorganized in a bad way... and I was at Ozzfest so I saw plenty of heavy bands that I thought were excellent. I just don't get the slipknot thing, a couple of their songs I can tolerate but, for the most part, I guess I'm just not a maggot (do they still call their fans that?)

Plenty of people do love them some slipknot, I just have never been able to see what everyone else does.

That video in general is just really funny. Xzibit does a hilarious fieldy impression, and David banner making fun of pretty boy silvera is brilliant. The best is the end though, when Korn are in those shiny suits.

"We're like a barbeque; we're all different meats, but, we're smothered in the same sauce"

"We're all black, when the lights go out..."

Here's the video if anyone else wants to watch it, but if you're not familiar with Korn you probably won't find it as funny.
Yep, we're still maggots.
I will admit, they're not as good live, but alot of their songs are
about the same struggles I had growing up.
Not conforming, not fitting in, getting pushed around, being labled by society.
I can relate to their music, hell they even mention love in there a few times.

Powerman said:
If I hear one more person say that Jimi Hendrix is the best guitarrist ever I think I'm going to punch them in the face. This kid right here is amazing.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1491516901670441597

Well, God damn it, here's my chin, and after you take your punch,
I get mine.

I gotta feeling I'm not the only person you have just commited yourself
to taking a punch at.

Kind of aggressive, aren't you?

USViking said:
Well, God damn it, here's my chin, and after you take your punch,
I get mine.

I gotta feeling I'm not the only person you have just commited yourself
to taking a punch at.

Kind of aggressive, aren't you?

I agree with him. While Hendrix was very influential he was never technically impressive compared to guys like this Japanese fellow in the video. I like Hendrix but I doubt he could shred like this guy. But that doesn't make him any less of a musician. Hendrix came out with a lot of tunes that were aesthetically pleasing and for that reason he is regarded as one of the greats. No objective person would ever say that from a technical standpoint he is anywhere near the greatest.

Alex Lifeson of Rush. Well, maybe not but I gotta represent my favorite band! No doubt, for three men they made some kick-buttocks music!

my husband's friend taught himself how to play, yet he doesn't know how to read music. He can duplicate anything he hears, though it may take him a few minutes to figure out the tune. I even asked him to play 'duelling banjos', really as a joke thinking he would not be able to pull it off, but he did! it sounded pretty cool on a guitar.

Big-P said:
I agree with him. While Hendrix was very influential he was never technically impressive compared to guys like this Japanese fellow in the video. I like Hendrix but I doubt he could shred like this guy. But that doesn't make him any less of a musician. Hendrix came out with a lot of tunes that were aesthetically pleasing and for that reason he is regarded as one of the greats. No objective person would ever say that from a technical standpoint he is anywhere near the greatest.
You've obviously never heard him play some real blues.
Check out blues at sunrise with Albert King (Fillmore west, with Janice
lending vocals.) There's an old saying in the picker world:
"You can know how to play a thousand chords,
doesn't mean you have to play them all in one song."
Jimmy had the technical skill, most of his greatest sessions were never recorded

fuzzykitten99 said:
my husband's friend taught himself how to play, yet he doesn't know how to read music. He can duplicate anything he hears, though it may take him a few minutes to figure out the tune. I even asked him to play 'duelling banjos', really as a joke thinking he would not be able to pull it off, but he did! it sounded pretty cool on a guitar.
I'm the same way. Used to REALLY piss my technical friends off.
They'd take the time to sit and read something and it would take them
about an hour to perfect the song. I'd hear them play it, and repeat it back
to them within 5 minutes.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
You've obviously never heard him play some real blues.
Check out blues at sunrise with Albert King (Fillmore west, with Janice
lending vocals.) There's an old saying in the picker world:
"You can know how to play a thousand chords,
doesn't mean you have to play them all in one song."
Jimmy had the technical skill, most of his greatest sessions were never recorded
As a matter of fact, His whole blues album is outstanding

JOKER96BRAVO said:

Too true, although his version of "Red House" does give you a good sample of what he can do. Probably one of my all time favorate songs.

Said1 said:
Too true, although his version of "Red House" does give you a good sample of what he can do. Probably one of my all time favorate songs.
Another thing you have to look at is his skill
FAR surpassed any other of his time. Given if he lived longer,
He'd be puttin some of the young folk (present) to shame!

Forum List

Back