This Forum Could get USMB- and many of us- sued

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
In a case against a New York website owner, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is claiming that merely linking to copyrighted material is a crime.
DHS, along with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), seized Brian McCarthy's domain, channelsurfing.net, in late January. The site has now been replaced with a government warning: "This domain has been seized by ICE - Homeland Security Investigations, Special Agent in Charge, New York Office."
"It is unlawful to reproduce copyrighted material, such as movies, music, software or games, without authorization... First-time offenders convicted of a criminal felony copyright law will face up to five years in federal prison, restitution, forfeiture and fine."
The advocacy group Demand Progress has claimed that McCarthy never reproduced copyrighted material, and that his website simply linked to other sites.
A criminal complaint obtained by the group seems to acknowledge that agents knew that McCarthy was running a "linking website."
New York man faces five years in jail for ‘linking’ to online videos | The Raw Story

So all those Youtube videos you naughties have been linking to- the ones not put up by VEVO, the band, or the label ... that's why Gunny has to go to prison and the FBI is surrounding your home as you read this

You know what else can get you into trouble in RL? Making threats of violence against people on message boards.

I'm not a Lawyer, but I'm willing to bet a couple of ambiguous words in the actual ruling make it so it's not the actual "I link to youtube videos" part that's illegal...it's got to be something else like they WAY they're linking (somehow maybe profiteering from doing so) or some such thing. I'd throw some dough down on that bet. Oh....gambling. Damn. Man's ruin. Chicks, Liquor, Gambling.

• Banned
I'm not a Lawyer, but I'm willing to bet a couple of ambiguous words in the actual ruling make it so it's not the actual "I link to youtube videos" part that's illegal...it's got to be something else like they WAY they're linking (somehow maybe profiteering from doing so) or some such thing. I'd throw some dough down on that bet. Oh....gambling. Damn. Man's ruin. Chicks, Liquor, Gambling.
careful, I don't think Pix and Gun have a license to run this as an online gambling site :eusa_shhh:

Actually, they are not alleging he linked to content, he is in trouble because a record company alleged that he hosted content, and the government seized his website without a hearing.

Guilty until proven innocent, and you do not get a trial to prove that.

It's all about money. As long as no money is involved, most people don't care.

The special agent detailed 17 copyrighted sports programs he was able to watch when he "clicked on links" at channelsurfing.net.

Guilty.

Suit him up.

Last edited by a moderator:
And it gets worse. Because rather than just (pointlessly) adding "performance" to the list, the bill tries to also define what constitutes a potential felony crime in these circumstances:
the offense consists of 10 or more public performances by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copyrighted works
So yeah. If you embed a YouTube video that turns out to be infringing, and more than 10 people view it because of your link... you could be facing five years in jail. This is, of course, ridiculous, and suggests (yet again) politicians who are regulating a technology they simply do not understand. Should it really be a criminal act to embed a YouTube video, even if you don't know it was infringing...? This could create a massive chilling effect to the very useful service YouTube provides in letting people embed videos.
Senators Want To Put People In Jail For Embedding YouTube Videos | Techdirt

the offense consists of 10 or more public performances by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copyrighted works

so...... are Congressional proceedings copywrite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back