This Election!

Oct 18, 2008
Bowling Green Ohio
It completely amazes me the ignorant stupidity I see in people with this election. From so many believing the distortions of truth and outright lies of the McCain/Palin camp to all these backwoods rednecks coming out of the woodwork absolutely fearing having a black man in office, I saw a story on the news of a guy that hung a ghost in his front yard with an upside down obama sticker saying he does not want a black man in office...WOW...just WOW! I thought we were past racial division and divisiveness in this country seeing as its 2008 but I guess we have revirted back to the 1950's and 60's again. I love this country with all my heart and soul but I am personally very ashamed of the people right now, what is wrong with us, what kind of example are we setting for the world when this is happening...PLEASE tell me why?

The world is a very racist place. What you see happening in America today pales in comparison with what happens in many other countries. That said, I suspect there will be a sizeable percentage of white Democrats who simply will not vote for Obama because he is black. That's just the reality of the situation now.

I think it is in pockets of the country not the country overall and I don'[t find it surprising that in isolated pockets some backwards ideas still fluorish.

I think it is in pockets of the country not the country overall and I don'[t find it surprising that in isolated pockets some backwards ideas still fluorish.

racism is everywhere. it's convenient to think of it as some phenomenon taking place down where they filmed deliverance, but it's in every city and town in the US and places in between. are we a racist country? i don't think so. are there racists all over the country?
absolutely.

Wow Life Long Dem, you're so smart! Please tell us again how stupid we are because that's a sure fire way to win us over to your way of thinking. :rolleyes:

Check out this book, "How To Win Friends And Influence People". Although it was written many years ago it still has lessons that apply today. They make an audio version as well.

racism is everywhere. it's convenient to think of it as some phenomenon taking place down where they filmed deliverance, but it's in every city and town in the US and places in between. are we a racist country? i don't think so. are there racists all over the country?
absolutely.

I think that there is more exposure to people of different races in urban areas than in isolated areas, and that racism is less of problem there. I think this is one reason Obama did better than Clinton in cities and vice versa.

I agree prejudice is a human trait, to an extent, but I don't agree that racism is everywhere in the sense that the original post is talking. I think you'd be much more likely to see a hung Obama in isolated rural areas than in the suburbs of LA.

Or perhaps people simply don't want to vote for someone, whatever color their skin, who is going to have the IRS send a check to the 40% of tax filers who don't pay one cent in taxes. Maybe some people don't want to vote for a man who calls this a "tax cut" when it is nothing more than massive welfare. Maybe people don't want to vote for a man who will bring back "Welfare as we use to know it" but calls it a "tax cut". Perhaps some don't want a smooth talking, snake oil selling, charlatan for President.

Maybe, but:

I saw a story on the news of a guy that hung a ghost in his front yard with an upside down obama sticker saying he does not want a black man in office...

I think that there is more exposure to people of different races in urban areas than in isolated areas, and that racism is less of problem there. I think this is one reason Obama did better than Clinton in cities and vice versa.

I agree prejudice is a human trait, to an extent, but I don't agree that racism is everywhere in the sense that the original post is talking. I think you'd be much more likely to see a hung Obama in isolated rural areas than in the suburbs of LA.

just because you can't see it, and i don't mean you personally, doesn't mean it's not there. is it more likely to be overt in a less populated area? probably. is it just as widespread in urban areas? again, probably, IMO.

more exposure doesn't always translate into more understanding and tolerance.

It completely amazes me the ignorant stupidity I see in people with this election. From so many believing the distortions of truth and outright lies of the McCain/Palin camp to all these backwoods rednecks coming out of the woodwork absolutely fearing having a black man in office, I saw a story on the news of a guy that hung a ghost in his front yard with an upside down obama sticker saying he does not want a black man in office...WOW...just WOW! I thought we were past racial division and divisiveness in this country seeing as its 2008 but I guess we have revirted back to the 1950's and 60's again. I love this country with all my heart and soul but I am personally very ashamed of the people right now, what is wrong with us, what kind of example are we setting for the world when this is happening...PLEASE tell me why?

We aren't reverting my brother .. African-Americans have never been anything more than relatively free in America. Far too many whites simply deluded themselves into believing we are a free people.

Look no further than the criminal injustice system in the US if you have any questions about the word "relatively."

Do you know where a lot of US jobs have gone? .. inside the prisons .. where the workers/slaves are paid about 25 cents an hour? No concern about sick days, overtime, OSHA, pensions, or any other the benefits Americans not locked up would require. Sweet deal, eh?

Are you aware the some manufacturing plants have closed down and re-opened inside prisons? Did you know hundreds of major US corporations are employing prisoners? The prison/industrail complex is a business

Buy something from Victoria's Secret and it was probably made in a South Carolina prison. Your Dell computer probably has the fingerprints of prisoners on it. I could go on for pages.

Did you know slavery is still legal and PRACTICED in the US? .. not legal .. re-read the 13th Amendment. ..The irony is the slaves of our past look a lot like the slaves we have today. The war on drugs is nothing more than a war on black people. It not only murders innocent people, it fills the prisons with workers/slaves .. thank you Bill Clinton, the greatest incarceration president in American history.

President Obambi isn't going to touch this issue with a 10ft pole even though he knows the truth of it.

Point being, African-Americans have always, and still, face the sort of ugly ass sub-human behavior you see now .. the rest of America simply closes its eyes to it until it boils over .. like during Katrina.

We aren't reverting my brother .. African-Americans have never been anything more than relatively free in America. Far too many whites simply deluded themselves into believing we are a free people.

Look no further than the criminal injustice system in the US if you have any questions about the word "relatively."

Do you know where a lot of US jobs have gone? .. inside the prisons .. where the workers/slaves are paid about 25 cents an hour? No concern about sick days, overtime, OSHA, pensions, or any other the benefits Americans not locked up would require. Sweet deal, eh?

Are you aware the some manufacturing plants have closed down and re-opened inside prisons? Did you know hundreds of major US corporations are employing prisoners? The prison/industrail complex is a business

Buy something from Victoria's Secret and it was probably made in a South Carolina prison. Your Dell computer probably has the fingerprints of prisoners on it. I could go on for pages.

Did you know slavery is still legal and PRACTICED in the US? .. not legal .. re-read the 13th Amendment. ..The irony is the slaves of our past look a lot like the slaves we have today. The war on drugs is nothing more than a war on black people. It not only murders innocent people, it fills the prisons with workers/slaves .. thank you Bill Clinton, the greatest incarceration president in American history.

President Obambi isn't going to touch this issue with a 10ft pole even though he knows the truth of it.

Point being, African-Americans have always, and still, face the sort of ugly ass sub-human behavior you see now .. the rest of America simply closes its eyes to it until it boils over .. like during Katrina.
I like your sig! If we don't give minorities they same opportunities to recieve the same social stratification we do they will never be able to rise up and become completly successful.

Perhaps, but a similar argument can be made for any demographic, eg women still dont get equal pay or equal health care.

Slavery in the states today is not limited to africans or african americans in any case. It's women and children by and large, and illegal immigrants from many countries..

Thank you, Votaire had it going on. Here's another one from him:

The safest course is to do nothing against one's conscience. With this secret, we can enjoy life and have no fear from death.

He was ahead of his time on many issues .. and frankly, still ahead of the present day on issues like religion.

Perhaps, but a similar argument can be made for any demographic, eg women still dont get equal pay or equal health care.

Slavery in the states today is not limited to africans or african americans in any case. It's women and children by and large, and illegal immigrants from many countries..

I don't disagree with you .. but mixing the arguments doesn't properly address anything.

What women and children face is different than what African-Americans face.

What illegal immigrants face is different than what women and children face.

What African-Americans face is different than what illegal immigrants face.

All of these issues should be addressed but within their own context and sphere, because the solutions for one is not the solution for the others.

Did you know that women, specifically white women, are the major beneficiaries of affirmative action? Anything in America is just easier to attack if you put a black face on it.

I like your sig! If we don't give minorities they same opportunities to recieve the same social stratification we do they will never be able to rise up and become completly successful.

If we don't open our eyes to exactly what is destroying this nation, we are doomed to follow the path of every empire .. we are imploding.

That which is destroying this nation doesn't wear baggy pants, doesn't wear a turban, doesn't wear a somberro .. it wears a Brooks Brothers suit and it owns our government and miltary.

absolutely.

Racism IS everywhere. Even in the Black community

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49h1x-i830Q]YouTube - re: racist black man[/ame]

We won't be beyond it until it can no longer be used as a distraction from the issues that really do matter... The good news is that it is becoming less of a distraction, at least 'till times get good again.

-Joe

Forum List

Back