This Day in History - Bloody Monday

After 1856 the "Know Nothings" evolved into the pro-slavery American Party which in turn morphed into the Democrat party.

Stop right there, because that's multi-level horse shit, and I shall now proceed to prove it such.

Number one: "the "Know Nothings" evolved into the pro-slavery American Party"
  • -- the "Know Nothings" were already the "Native American Party", their official name, "know nothing" being a nickname --- one which was already explained in POST ONE, and simply dropped the "Native". "Know Nothing" was never an official name. Actually it began in 1843 as the American Republican Party.

Number two: "the pro-slavery American Party"
  • --- that party was not "pro-slavery". It ignored the whole issue and focused on its xenophobia. Ignoring the elephant in the room of slavery and hoping it would go away was a failure of many a pre-Civil War party including the Democrats and the Whigs.... which collapsed on its own failure to come to terms with the same question. The nativistic bigot wigs became Know Nothings, while the abolitionist ones became Republicans, a party founded in the same era (specifically 1854). Including Lincoln.
-- in actual fact, the closest the KN party had to an immediate successor would have been the Constitutional Union Party, which ran one John Bell for President in 1860, who came in third behind Lincoln and Breckinridge and ahead of the Democrat Douglas. That party also attempted to ignore the slavery issue, and it too disappeared after 1860. In the bigger picture the ideological successor to the KN party would be, as already noted, the 20th century Klan, which preached virtually word-for-word the same "100% Americanism" doctrine as the KNs and railed against immigrants.

Number three: "... which in turn morphed into the Democrat [sic] party"
  • --- The Democratic Party (there is still no such thing as a "Democrat Party" and there never has been) -- HAD ALREADY EXISTED since 1828. It's the oldest political party in the world, which is also why the term "GOP" is a misnomer. In fact on the day of the Louisville election referenced in the OP story, the opposition to the Know Nothings, whose thugs commandeered the polls --- were Democrats. And that's who the persecuted Germans and Irish were coming out to vote for. A party that was, in 1855, already a quarter-century old and firmly established.
--- in fact the following year another riot broke out during the mayoral election in Baltimore, AGAIN with Know Nothings squaring off against Democrats.​

Number four:
  • ----- :banghead:
How in the wide wide world of blue fuck do you revisionist mythologists expect to get away with completely made-up shit that's so easily refuted by simple linear time?? Essplain to the class how you "evolve into" a political party that was already there for 27 years and which you were already running AGAINST.

You sir are a fucking moron.

Last edited:
That conservatives and republicans subscribing to this thread are hostile to its topic comes as no surprise.

The nativism practiced by the Know-Nothings more than 150 years ago sadly manifests today among most on the fearful, reactionary right.

Indeed, the notion of the immigrant as a ‘threat’ used as a political weapon by republicans is as old as the GOP itself.

you are comparing what happened to immigrants to what you are being told is happening to criminals.

you aren't comparing apples to apples, more like apples to concrete.

your attempt failed so poorly, that it was funny.

I posted nothing about "what I am being told is happening to criminals". Don't even know what the fuck you're talking about here.

What I actually asked you was, on what basis did you find this story "funny"?

I have a Great Aunt Nina, I'm more familiar with this story than you.

OH, a Great Aunt Nina. Well why didn't you say so, that changes everything.... :rolleyes:

Well I had an Uncle Roy so I win.
Ignorance is not bliss, but the internet can help you

no irish need apply - Google Search

You're pretending that criminal immigrants are the same as real ones. You are told they are the same and are dumb enough to agree w/o a single thought.

Number one, I need no introduction to "no Irish need apply". It's part of my heritage. Number two, at no point did I post, imply, intimate or suggest anything anywhere about "criminal immigrants", whatever that is, let alone draw a comparison. You completely made that up out of nothing. Apparently in a desperate attempt to change the subject.

Which I should add, also contains nothing about "criminal immigrants".
you are a very bad liar.

Not one person is fooled by any of this.

It's history. It's an accounting of things that actually happened, not something up for debate.

Go ahead, look it up and prove me wrong.
another bad lie

I never denied the history, a fake attempt by you to deny the fact you are saying that trump would bring this to be again.

I posted nothing about "what I am being told is happening to criminals". Don't even know what the fuck you're talking about here.

What I actually asked you was, on what basis did you find this story "funny"?

OH, a Great Aunt Nina. Well why didn't you say so, that changes everything.... :rolleyes:

Well I had an Uncle Roy so I win.
Ignorance is not bliss, but the internet can help you

no irish need apply - Google Search

You're pretending that criminal immigrants are the same as real ones. You are told they are the same and are dumb enough to agree w/o a single thought.

Number one, I need no introduction to "no Irish need apply". It's part of my heritage. Number two, at no point did I post, imply, intimate or suggest anything anywhere about "criminal immigrants", whatever that is, let alone draw a comparison. You completely made that up out of nothing. Apparently in a desperate attempt to change the subject.

Which I should add, also contains nothing about "criminal immigrants".
you are a very bad liar.

Not one person is fooled by any of this.

It's history. It's an accounting of things that actually happened, not something up for debate.

Go ahead, look it up and prove me wrong.
another bad lie

I never denied the history, a fake attempt by you to deny the fact you are saying that trump would bring this to be again.

Am I now. :popcorn:

Quote? Link?

Informative thanks, but quit trying to say legal and illegal immigrants are the same thing
Quit posting stupid strawman arguments. There's nothing up there about "legal", "illegal" or "same things". So please to Bite me.

Forum List

Back