Trinity

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2004
About Bloody Time! PLEASE READ

This could make you think about the media

CBS and 60 Minutes Modern Benedict Arnolds
NewsMax
Monday, May 24, 2004
Recently, entertainer Pat Boone wrote NewsMax editor Christopher Ruddy a letter regarding his

feelings on Abu Ghraib and Iraq, the contents of which are published here with permission:

Mr. Christopher Ruddy
Editor, NewsMax
Dear Chris,

Hasn't anybody got the guts to accuse the worst perpetrator in this whole Abu Ghraib prison debacle - CBS and 60 Minutes II?

What do you call it when, in time of war, someone takes military intelligence and turns it over to the enemy, who in turn uses it to kill Americans?

Isn't that the definition of treason? Did Benedict Arnold do worse? Did Julias and Ethel Rosenberg pay with their lives for something like this?

It has already been well established, and CBS certainly knew, that the military announced to the press back in January that allegations had been made concerning treatment of prisoners and were being investigated.

In March there was another announcement that the allegations were still being investigated and certain service personnel at Abu Ghraib were relieved of their duties and might be court marshaled.

In other words, while America was fighting a war, the military had already taken the allegations seriously, were investigating them and were taking steps to correct the situation. In other words, it was being handled, and handled well.

These things happen in war on all sides, and though they are not excusable, they are kindergarten exercises compared to car bombs, ambushes, rocket launchings and dangling burning bodies over bridges - and this is what the interrogators at Abu Ghraib were trying to find ways to stop.

Freedom of the press is precious to us, but you can abuse any liberty and stretch it out of shape until it becomes license, and concerned citizens will call for limitations.

In this case, if CBS had really cared about the country, about our military, about doing the right thing, they would have taken these pictures, (which they had illegally) and asked the military and the Pentagon what was being done about the abuses (Although they most likely knew it, they would have been told that the matter was in hand and being taken care of).

Indeed, a general implored them not to publish the pictures because of what he knew would happen as a result.

CBS could have cared less.

In their mad competition for rating points, dollars, and seeing a great way to blast the President and the war effort in Iraq which they have continually denigrated and opposed, they broadcast they abhorrent pictures and not just to the United States, BUT TO THE WORLD!

Knowing full well that we were walking a tight rope, trying to fight a war, quell disturbances and build a republic for Iraq in the midst of all the terrorist resistance, CBS published these abhorrent pictures knowing they would destroy completely our image and standing in the Muslim world.

And what about Osama bin Laden? What about the terrorists? What about America's image with all our allies around the world? And what about America's own self image and confidence in their leaders?

And what did the beheaders of Nick Berg say, just before they callously sawed his head off while he screamed, "This is in retaliation for what you Americans did to our people at Abu Ghraib!" And how did they know about these interrogation abuses?

Though poor Mr. Berg blames George Bush and Donald Rumsefld, it is incontrovertible that his son would be home with him right now had it not been for the publication of those pictures. Mr. Berg is pointing his finger in the wrong direction.

And as a direct result of CBS callous and patently unpatriotic action, America is suffering great loss of prestige around the world, and will for decades.

America has lost credibility with Muslims and the Arab world internationally, perhaps forever; and every American life is in far greater danger from terrorist reprisal, no matter who and where we are!

Freedom of the press is a cherished commodity, guaranteed by our Constitution. But freedoms, if they are to be maintained and to have the original meaning, must be treated with grave responsibility and restraint.

For me, CBS has become "the enemy within", and I hope never to watch the network again. I think most Americans ought to reflect on the results of their irresponsible and unpatriotic behavior and perhaps narrow their viewing options by one network. The next time America or Americans suffer at the hands of terrorists, thank CBS.

Pat Boone
PB:jsphttp://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/5/24/132813.shtml

I don't feel any differently about 'the media'...

They aren't about 'truth' or 'doing what is right'...they are about turning a profit.

Notice again how CBS seems to run pre-release publicity for every book that is coming out by someone who is either anti-Bush or is connected to the Democratic Party. They're dedicating the whole upcoming episode of 60 Minutes to Bill Clinton and his book that he had to work day and night to release before the upcoming election. Coincidence? I think not......

Not only did they show the pictures, but they kept talking about them day after day and they didn't seem to care as much about terrorists blowing up innocent people in Iraq or about Berg. It was all about showing the pictures over and over and over.

Notice again how CBS seems to run pre-release publicity for every book that is coming out by someone who is either anti-Bush or is connected to the Democratic Party. They're dedicating the whole upcoming episode of 60 Minutes to Bill Clinton and his book that he had to work day and night to release before the upcoming election. Coincidence? I think not......
I know what you mean. It's pretty much the pro-Democrat network.

Originally posted by Sir Evil
And that's the truth! Unfortunatley it makes a good weapon for the left as they have nothing else to go on!

But why do they insist on making money by pandering to the left----couldnt they pander to the right and take thier money?

I think the motive is more than money.

I notice that the republicans aren't as fired up about finding out who leaked valerie plame to novak as they are about cbs, 60 minutes, and time magazine. :rolleyes:

Here are a couple of responses I got on this from some lefties. ANY COMMENTS?

First insert:

Pat Boone is an idiot. I don't agree with him at all. The media turned the information over to the American people, and we are entitled to know what is being done in our name. Do you actually think the media should cover up governmental crimes? Why aren't you outraged by the heinous acts committed in *your name*, and paid for with *your tax dollars*? Do you really think the enemy needs an excuse to kill Americans?
Blame those who perpetrate the acts rather than those who have the decency to tell us what these animals are doing in our names. The middle easterners already knew what was happening; Americans did not. Nick Berg was not the first American to be killed by the terrorists, and they certainly don't need any "excuse" to do the terrible things they've done. They didn't kill him because CBS broadcast those photos. They killed him because they are terrorists, and are trying to terrorize people into doing what they want. According to this letter, its working. One of their goals is to destroy democratic societies. If we allow censorship - if we say, "you can't say this, or show that, because the terrorists will kill us", isn't that buckling under to their tactics of terror? That is allowing them to dictate how our society works! Bad behavior on their part, however, does not excuse bad behavior on our part. Supposedly the reason we are there is to bring democracy and freedom to the Iraqi people. Is that to be done with torture & coercion?

You can not fight evil with evil. There is no winner except evil itself.

Second insert:

I just wanted to add a few things to this since we've gathered new information which I'm sure most people who are following the war and it's surrounding events now know. Many headlines today read "9/11 Panel sees no link between Iraq, Al Qaida" (or something similar). This in itself tells me that we started off on the wrong foot with this war and that the people who lived in Iraq and it's surrounding countries most likely knew there was no connection and that America (or at least the Bush Administration) was not doing the right thing by attacking the Sadaam Regime and that in itself hardened their opinion well before prisoners were tortured.
True, the videos and pictures of the tortures did probably fuel the fire for the terrorists to attack and murder Nick Berg but considering that we've now confirmed for sure that there was no connection between Al-Qaida and Iraq despite Bush and Bush Regime claims (which all point to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi who was not found with Sadaam or near Sadaam but in Northern Iraq with the Kurds who are not a part of the Iraqi government) I think we should start holding the people who took us to war and caused the murder of so many innocents in Iraq accountable. Do Americans really hate the truth so much?
I take pride in my government and I love the freedom of this country but with people like Bush and his regime we are becoming no better than the lie spreading terrorists who commited the awful acts of 9/11.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
I notice that the republicans aren't as fired up about finding out who leaked valerie plame to novak as they are about cbs, 60 minutes, and time magazine. :rolleyes:

Anyone who thinks leaking the name of a CIA operative is a good thing is wrong and it is indefensible.

Anyone who thinks that leaking classified pictures from a DOD investigation to CBS is a good thing is also wrong and that too is indefensible.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth

Lots to be fired up about these days--go ahead tho--shoot whoever did it and lets move on

I agree with Pat Boone in every way khafley!!! CBS is perhaps the worst of all the media. Whatever will they do when Mr Liberal retires?!

By the way,the phone company is coming tomorrow to look at the phone lines. Try calling in the morning!!

:cof: :)

Forum List

Back