This could go a long way ...

I like the idea...I don't know what the negative aspects would be. But it strikes me as a way of at LEAST getting non-Big Party candidates a chance.

I like the idea...I don't know what the negative aspects would be. But it strikes me as a way of at LEAST getting non-Big Party candidates a chance.

Exactly. And the ranked aspect of the voting encourages consensus building rather than the usual divisive partisanship. Candidates can no longer afford to completely alienate 49% of the electorate.

Calls for redistricting.................and allows a Ranking system for up to 6 candidates in multiple districts..............So it would force voters to rank those on the ballot 1 through 6.................but your representative for YOUR DISTRICT could be technically voted out by voters in another district...................................

Also calls for District of Columbia to get representatives.................sponsored by a Dem..............hmmmmm

Forcing states to redistrict and orders them to set up the system...........................

NOPE......................I'M AGAINST IT..................

Hamilton_Federalist-59-2.jpg

Calls for redistricting.................and allows a Ranking system for up to 6 candidates in multiple districts..............So it would force voters to rank those on the ballot 1 through 6.................but your representative for YOUR DISTRICT could be technically voted out by voters in another district...................................

Also calls for District of Columbia to get representatives.................sponsored by a Dem..............hmmmmm

Forcing states to redistrict and orders them to set up the system...........................

RIght. I don't expect partisans will like it much at all. That's kinda the point.

RIght. I don't expect partisans will like it much at all. That's kinda the point.
My point was clear....................the State should decide how to hold their own elections...............Not the Federal Government.

My other point was clear as well...............Locally I want to vote for the one who will represent me in my locality and not someone on someone's else turf...........

I believe in State's Rights................and I believe that going away from the enumerated powers under the Constitution is the real problem......Why would I want to give them even more power.

I agree with Hamilton in the above post.............one of our founding fathers.

Donkey vote - Wikipedia

Manifestation in compulsory preferential voting systems[edit]
Australian House of Representatives[edit]
Preferential voting for a single seat is used in elections for the Federal House of Representatives (since 1918), for all mainland State lower houses, and for the Northern Territory Legislative Assembly. It was also used for the Western Australian Legislative Council until 1986, and the Victorian Legislative Council until 2006; it is still used for the Tasmanian Legislative Council. A variant was used for the South Australian Legislative Council before 1973, with two seats per "province" (electoral district) being filled at each election, but by majority-preferential voting, not by proportional representation.

The donkey vote has been estimated at between 1 and 2% of the vote, which could be critical in a marginal seat.[citation needed]

Attempt to reduce the impact of donkey votes[edit]
In 1983, reforms were made to Federal electoral legislation to reduce the impact of donkey voting including:

• listing of party names besides each candidate (as for the examples below for the Divisions of Gwydir and Grayndler);
  • the order of candidates on the ballot paper being decided randomly by the Australian Electoral Commission returning officer after the close of nominations and the commencement of pre-poll voting – candidates were previously listed by alphabetical order leading to parties nominating candidates with names beginning with A.[citation needed]
These reforms as well as an increase in electoral education funding have reduced the impact of donkey voting in Federal elections in recent years.[citation needed] As states have introduced similar reforms, the phenomenon has also been reduced in other jurisdictions. However, donkey voting still needs to be taken into account when assessing the size of the swing or two-party vote in particular electorates.

1318871483_donkeys.gif

images

Seems Australia has a problem with the Donkey vote..............The parties send out HOW TO VOTE instructions to try and sway the vote..........so your ranking system fudges the data.................

They use the STV method.........................and also the ranking system is used by minority parties to try and get seats they NEVER WOULD HAVE GOTTEN........like the Libertarian Party when they simply didn't have the votes.

Our problems with voting districts is now in the Supreme Court.......................

The Founding Fathers created the Judicial Branch for a reason....................to deal with issues of fraud and rigging the voting system which is AGAINST THE PRINCIPLES of the CONSTITUTION........................

Supreme Court hears case on Maryland gerrymandering

The cases have raised speculation about whether the court for the first time might strike down a map as overly partisan.

In Wednesday’s arguments, the majority of the justices appeared to agree that Maryland officials had created an unconstitutional partisan gerrymander in redrawing its 6th Congressional District after the 2010 Census. The new lines cost Rep. Roscoe Bartlett (R) his seat in the House.

Justice Elena Kagan said Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley (D) and Rep. Steny Hoyer (D) have been very upfront about the fact that they were trying to create another Democratic district.

“What the Maryland legislature did was to shuffle 360,000 people out and bring in 350,000 people. The result of that is that the district went from 47 percent Republican and 36 percent Democratic to exactly the opposite, 45 percent Democratic and 34 percent Republican,” she said.

“How much more evidence of partisan intent do we need?”

Republican voters in Maryland argue Democratic officials, in drawing the map, intentionally diluted their vote to retaliate against them for supporting Bartlett for two decades. They say this violated their First Amendment rights.

The earlier case in Wisconsin involved Democrats claiming that Republican officials had redrawn the state’s legislative maps to put them at a disadvantage.

Legal analysts say the court likely took the Maryland case in addition to the Wisconsin case to settle the issue in a neutral way without siding with one political party over another.

During the hour-long arguments, Justice Anthony Kennedy, the court’s regular swing vote, gave Maryland Solicitor General Michael Sullivan a hypothetical.

“Suppose the Maryland Constitution had a provision that required that partisan advantage for one party be the predominant consideration in any districting," he said.

The proposed law would require the ENTIRE COUNTRY to REDISTRICT States...............

How many of the new districts would be just more of the same...................and create even more Gerrymanded districts............

And as I've shown............Australia has had problems with the very system you propose...........

And again.............It takes away the States Rights that should decide how they conduct their elections..........

Count me in!

Sadly, it will never happen as the partisans on both sides will fight it tooth and nail
Just kill off the Democratic jackass party of slavery. Join the class action lawsuit against the already cash-strapped DNC. Do anything to can do to destroy the Democratic party.

After the evil Democratic party is tossed into the dustbin of America's sordid history, the USA would become a multiparty system.

Last edited:
Count me in!

Sadly, it will never happen as the partisans on both sides will fight it tooth and nail
Just kill off the Democratic jackass party of slavery. Join the class action lawsuit against the already cash-strapped DNC or anything to can do to destroy the Democratic party.

After the evil Democratic party is tossed into the dustbin of America's sordid history, the USA would become a multiparty system.

You really are not a very smart person, are you?

Count me in!

Just kill off the Democratic jackass party of slavery. Join the class action lawsuit against the already cash-strapped DNC or anything to can do to destroy the Democratic party.

Talking about yourself again?

Count me in!

Talking about yourself again?

Ohhh...that will teach me! :290968001256257790-final:

Forum List

Back