This comic really got me thinking...

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
I read this comic "For Better or For Worse" every day, and have since I started reading comics daily. This one made me think a little deeper at the a possible message the artist could be sending. Then again, I may be making more of this than the actual meaning, but I still think if you apply it to current events with the war in Iraq, there is a real good connection. Or maybe I am just making more of this.

Since I have limited time in which to type this, I will post the links to the comics, but note why I think this is relevant.

The first one:
http://www.comics.com/comics/forbetter/archive/forbetter-20050809.html

This first one to me is the one that makes the most connection. Liz is being stalked by a co-worker. He wants to do her harm, or abuse her in some way. She feels that he hasn't physically done anything yet, so she should sit back and do nothing. Her dad knows that stalking is a crime, and would prefer to do something first before he has a chance to hurt his daughter.

To me, she takes the liberal approach. Sitting back, not taking preventive action when this guy is obviously intending to do something harmful. Her father, is taking the conservative approach, wanting to get this guy taken care of BEFORE he can do anything major.

The 2nd comic:

Here, the guy attacked Liz. In the comic the next day, a friend of Liz'z just happened to get there at the right moment and fought the guy off. Now, here's the other part. If Liz had taken the conservative approach, and took preventive measures by calling the police when her dad told her she should, this would have been prevented. Had Liz'z friend not been there at the right moment, things could have been worse.

This is kind of how I view Iraq. We are taking care of what could have been BIG problem for us.

I know to many, this whole thing is kind of a big leap, but I feel this situation in the comic can be applied to current events. Am I nuts?

fuzzykitten99 said:
I read this comic "For Better or For Worse" every day, and have since I started reading comics daily. This one made me think a little deeper at the a possible message the artist could be sending. Then again, I may be making more of this than the actual meaning, but I still think if you apply it to current events with the war in Iraq, there is a real good connection. Or maybe I am just making more of this.

Since I have limited time in which to type this, I will post the links to the comics, but note why I think this is relevant.

The first one:

This first one to me is the one that makes the most connection. Liz is being stalked by a co-worker. He wants to do her harm, or abuse her in some way. She feels that he hasn't physically done anything yet, so she should sit back and do nothing. Her dad knows that stalking is a crime, and would prefer to do something first before he has a chance to hurt his daughter.

To me, she takes the liberal approach. Sitting back, not taking preventive action when this guy is obviously intending to do something harmful. Her father, is taking the conservative approach, wanting to get this guy taken care of BEFORE he can do anything major.

The 2nd comic:

Here, the guy attacked Liz. In the comic the next day, a friend of Liz'z just happened to get there at the right moment and fought the guy off. Now, here's the other part. If Liz had taken the conservative approach, and took preventive measures by calling the police when her dad told her she should, this would have been prevented. Had Liz'z friend not been there at the right moment, things could have been worse.

This is kind of how I view Iraq. We are taking care of what could have been BIG problem for us.

I know to many, this whole thing is kind of a big leap, but I feel this situation in the comic can be applied to current events. Am I nuts?

Nah- For Better or for Worse is famous for its subtle allegorical practicalities. The situation is different from Iraq because the threat that the stalker poses is real, and the proof of his actions is readily apparent. Moreover, you don't have to consider who preventitive action is going to harm in this allegory, nor is cost of such actions a factor, nor is legality of preventitive actions (because, as stated, stalking is a crime).

If there were not retarting variables, it would be a fine allegory-- but you can argue til the cows come home about the legality of the Iraq invasion, Iraq's threat level, cost-benefit analysis of action, etc etc.

nakedemperor said:
Was refering to international approval.

US foreign policy should not be dependant on what other nations approve, but what is in the best national interest of this nation.

nakedemperor said:
Was refering to international approval.

I'm curious Yale boy,does anyone take you seriously? Oh and college kid, referring has two rs . . twat. :teeth:

sitarro said:
I'm curious Yale boy,does anyone take you seriously? Oh and college kid, referring has two rs . . twat. :teeth:

Who goes to Yale?

Aw, your community college really had spelling down to a science, didn't it? Good for you! :beer:

Forum List

Back