This Call may be recorded for quality assurance

BasicHumanUnit

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2013
Everywhere needed
Have you ever given any thought to the message you hear so often "This call may be recorded for quality assurance". Maybe so, but I want to be able to ensure quality as well from my side.

It's common these days to be advised (ALWAYS by a recording) when calling a business entity that the conversation "may" be recorded.

But in many states where there are consent requirements in place, are those requirement really being met?

Florida for example is a two party consent state meaning both parties have to consent to the recording. Do you ever give your consent or do they just assume you have by staying on the phone?

But, since you are never told by a human (only by an answering recording) that the call may be recorded, how can they be sure you were listening to that part or for that matter, that it was clearly transmitted? And did you give your consent?

Suppose you call AT&T, a necessary service for your phone (landline or mobile). what is your OPTION if you do not agree to have your call recorded? Cancel your necessary service? Not really an option.
What happens when a service agent comes on line and you tell them that you will be recording the conversation? Some are directed to hang up immediately. Some have not been instructed as to what to say.
Some will tell you that they cannot continue to help you if you are recording the conversation even though they are.... (Excuse ME ??)

How many times has an AT&T, Comcast or other company representative clearly told you one thing then after the call, did something else? Usually at your expense.

Now then, can you simply say back to the recording that you will also be recording the call? Why not?
They are assuming the message is received by you....why can't you assume the same if you state that you will be recording the call during that same recording? What if I have a calling dialer such as lexi or any number of automated dialers call for me and only alert me when a human answers? I could have Lexi announce that the call will be recorded as soon as the call is connected to their end.

It is my opinion that by law, for consumer protection, consent to record ANY call should be made human to human. And that if a business reserves the right to deny you a recording of the conversation, they should then give up their right to a recording of that conversation. Fair is fair.

The way laws are written currently completely takes the consumer for granted and give total power of recorded conversations exclusively to corporations, companies, government entities and such.

This is an inequity that needs to be corrected. A fair and level playing field should exist.

I record all calls not placed by those in my personal circle.

I live in Virginia, so I can do that.

I do not have to warn them.

Last edited:
Have you ever given any thought to the message you hear so often "This call may be recorded for quality assurance". Maybe so, but I want to be able to ensure quality as well from my side.

It's common these days to be advised (ALWAYS by a recording) when calling a business entity that the conversation "may" be recorded.

But in many states where there are consent requirements in place, are those requirement really being met?

Florida for example is a two party consent state meaning both parties have to consent to the recording. Do you ever give your consent or do they just assume you have by staying on the phone?

But, since you are never told by a human (only by an answering recording) that the call may be recorded, how can they be sure you were listening to that part or for that matter, that it was clearly transmitted? And did you give your consent?

Suppose you call AT&T, a necessary service for your phone (landline or mobile). what is your OPTION if you do not agree to have your call recorded? Cancel your necessary service? Not really an option.
What happens when a service agent comes on line and you tell them that you will be recording the conversation? Some are directed to hang up immediately. Some have not been instructed as to what to say.
Some will tell you that they cannot continue to help you if you are recording the conversation even though they are.... (Excuse ME ??)

How many times has an AT&T, Comcast or other company representative clearly told you one thing then after the call, did something else? Usually at your expense.

Now then, can you simply say back to the recording that you will also be recording the call? Why not?
They are assuming the message is received by you....why can't you assume the same if you state that you will be recording the call during that same recording? What if I have a calling dialer such as lexi or any number of automated dialers call for me and only alert me when a human answers? I could have Lexi announce that the call will be recorded as soon as the call is connected to their end.

It is my opinion that by law, for consumer protection, consent to record ANY call should be made human to human. And that if a business reserves the right to deny you a recording of the conversation, they should then give up their right to a recording of that conversation. Fair is fair.

The way laws are written currently completely takes the consumer for granted and give total power of recorded conversations exclusively to corporations, companies, government entities and such.

This is an inequity that needs to be corrected. A fair and level playing field should exist.
It is implied consent, and it is perfectly legal. I am not sure why the notification being a recording would cause anyone concern or dismay. As for the level playing field: it is level. If you tell them you are recording them, they have the right to continue the conversation or to terminate it. And the same options apply to you.

Forum List

Back