longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
dmsfufiqwdpqaaykvoti.jpg

It’s a festival in the middle of the Mojave Desert

krtixrh81cgencvvjoe8.jpg

hjrnjqjhil7rmtsdc4td.jpg

All of this—the cars, the costumes, the choking dust, the binding heat—has created something as real, as lasting as any other community. At dusk one evening, things briefly quieted down, people heading to their tents to grab another layer of clothes. A group of War Boys—the bald, white, unsettling beings from Mad Max: Fury Road—marched down the street together, stripped to the waist, glowing faintly in the gathering dusk, like phosphorescent jellyfish. The lower edges of the horizon turned rose-pink. A small, trickling line of people ducked under the thin yellow rope marking the western edge of the Wasteland site and headed up a hill covered in rocks and scrub brush. At the top was a memorial, a metal screen covered in the names of Wastelanders who’ve passed.

c8xyatomjfnkmbk4vucv.jpg

4,100 people trek out to an enormous, dusty patch of rocks, scrub, and dirt near Edwards, California

I’ve never heard of this. Not even a hint. The pictures are amazing and it made me shake my head that anyone would spend so much money to do this stuff.

To see the dozens of photos and read the story, go to
https://jalopnik.com/the-strangest-desert-festival-in-the-world-makes-everyo-1829467474

cjbokpg7c6mocxs9aldv.jpg

dmsfufiqwdpqaaykvoti.jpg

It’s a festival in the middle of the Mojave Desert

krtixrh81cgencvvjoe8.jpg

hjrnjqjhil7rmtsdc4td.jpg

All of this—the cars, the costumes, the choking dust, the binding heat—has created something as real, as lasting as any other community. At dusk one evening, things briefly quieted down, people heading to their tents to grab another layer of clothes. A group of War Boys—the bald, white, unsettling beings from Mad Max: Fury Road—marched down the street together, stripped to the waist, glowing faintly in the gathering dusk, like phosphorescent jellyfish. The lower edges of the horizon turned rose-pink. A small, trickling line of people ducked under the thin yellow rope marking the western edge of the Wasteland site and headed up a hill covered in rocks and scrub brush. At the top was a memorial, a metal screen covered in the names of Wastelanders who’ve passed.

c8xyatomjfnkmbk4vucv.jpg

4,100 people trek out to an enormous, dusty patch of rocks, scrub, and dirt near Edwards, California

I’ve never heard of this. Not even a hint. The pictures are amazing and it made me shake my head that anyone would spend so much money to do this stuff.

To see the dozens of photos and read the story, go to
https://jalopnik.com/the-strangest-desert-festival-in-the-world-makes-everyo-1829467474

cjbokpg7c6mocxs9aldv.jpg

Aren't you from CA?

Wow! I saw a plane car, an El Camino where I couldn't tell if the guy or girl's boobs were bigger, and a Galaxie 500 station wagon. :eek:

Must be nice to not have any salt air and moisture to rust cars.

Certainly looks like a California Freakshow.

Is this what they call Burning Man? or something like that...they were talking about it on the Late Show a week or two ago.

Is this what they call Burning Man? or something like that...they were talking about it on the Late Show a week or two ago.

It's not "Lobster-O-rama" k? No lobsters in the desert.

Ofc a couple girls there probably have crabs like them.

Last edited:
Not as 'themed' but Glamis, CA just west of San Diego has the same sort of wild & crazy events going on all throughout the year... plenty of reputation damaging photos to destroy come to think of it, lol.

Not as 'themed' but Glamis, CA just west of San Diego has the same sort of wild & crazy events going on all throughout the year... plenty of reputation damaging photos to destroy come to think of it, lol.

You got a little wild, huh? That’s what these event are all about.

Forum List

Back