Thirty Four Years Ago Today...

hjmick

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2007
Charleston, SC
Thirty four years ago today, MTV debuted. MTV used to stand for "Music Television," the idea being they would play music videos, you know, kind of like short movies for the songs. In 1981 the idea was cutting edge, unheard of, pretty cool... They had VJs, video jockeys, the television equivalent of disc jockeys for radio. I was sixteen years old when it debuted. I remember staying up Friday night to witness the start of something new at 12:01 a.m. Saturday morning. "Ladies and gentlemen, rock and roll..."

I remember the very first video...

Remembering all this this morning, I decided to take a look at what MTV was doing today to honor their groundbreaking foray into television all those years ago...

They've got some sort of reality show on, followed by teen movies like What a Girl Wants...

What the hell happened? MTV is nothing more than the Disney Channel...

Ridiculous...

These were great times - great memories.

We'd watch Friday Night Videos too.... play board games, drink, go out to the 24 hr diner for pie at 3 am.

We have the "music stations" on our cable but the are not the same as seeing the videos.....

I turned it on once years ago and it was nothing but a shitload of heavy metal crap.

They used to have a show on Saturday nights, Headbangers Ball. All they played was heavy metal...

Last edited:
These were great times - great memories.

We'd watch Friday Night Videos too.... play board games, drink, go out to the 24 hr diner for pie at 3 am.

We have the "music stations" on our cable but the are not the same as seeing the videos.....
Yup, playing trivia pursuit and risk, but we were more hard core than you guys.....we always had a few 8 balls to keep us up for two days :)

mtv and pioneer super tuners

and the rise of the compact cassette
??? I think you mean the rise of CDs my first one was $400 bucks , you know the first CD player that came out sold for $2,200 bucks?

in the late 70s early 80s the compact cassette caught fire with the Walkman

then came the CD
I apologize, I forgot about the walkman and boom box.... Bought my CD player around 1988.
Bought my CD player around 1988
i did too

--LOL

Forum List

Back