Thinking Like an Arab

CSM said:
Obviously it is not that simple. There is little doubt in my mind that it is Islam vs. all other religions. It is also Islam vs. any other culture, society, or even freedom of thought.

The leaders of Islam are at war with anything and everything that is a threat to their power; their control of every aspect of their follower's lives (from what they eat, wear, live and even how they think) for every minute of every day is what is at risk.

Obviously that's true. So let's look at the rest of the world. There are also some Christians with this kind of viewpoint, and a lot of Christians who are tolerant of others. Hindus don't really care to force their religion upon others, nor Buddhists. Jews likewise are not trying to take over the world.

So should Bush and other world leaders try to form a consensus with all other countries, religions and groups in the world by saying, "Unfortunately Islam has declared war on the world. We have to band together and do something about it."?

At least one major religion won't go along with it. The Pope won't endorse a religious/cultural war.

Nuc said:
Obviously that's true. So let's look at the rest of the world. There are also some Christians with this kind of viewpoint, and a lot of Christians who are tolerant of others. Hindus don't really care to force their religion upon others, nor Buddhists. Jews likewise are not trying to take over the world.

So should Bush and other world leaders try to form a consensus with all other countries, religions and groups in the world by saying, "Unfortunately Islam has declared war on the world. We have to band together and do something about it."?

At least one major religion won't go along with it. The Pope won't endorse a religious/cultural war.

Nice try but no cigar---Christians aren't trying to kill people who don't agree with them.

dilloduck said:
Nice try but no cigar---Christians aren't trying to kill people who don't agree with them.

C'mon Dillo, you know as well as I that there are plenty of Christians who say that their religion is the "only" way. This places them in the same category with Muslims and no other religion.

You're right however that for the most part they are not willing to kill others over it, much less themselves.

Nuc said:
C'mon Dillo, you know as well as I that there are plenty of Christians who say that their religion is the "only" way. This places them in the same category with Muslims and no other religion.

You're right however that for the most part they are not willing to kill others over it, much less themselves.

There are some Christians who believe that way----does it hurt anyone?

Don't even try to put Christianity in the same boat with Muslims.

Nuc said:

This is strictly my opinion but here goes....

It will take more than just the world leaders to form a consensus. The non Islamic members of the human race have got to form that concensus. They have to stand up and say with one voice "We will not be slaughtered like sheep! We will not stand by while Islam destroys all other civilization! We will not tolerate intolerance!"

Naturally, the more institionalized organizations like governments and religions have to have the same attitude. They all also have to back up what they say (with force if necessary but preferably not) on all levels...from the individual one on one to Government vs. Government.

As for the Pope, he just might change his mind the day a suicide bomber decides to walk into St. Peter's Square and detonate himself.

dilloduck said:
There are some Christians who believe that way----does it hurt anyone?

Don't even try to put Christianity in the same boat with Muslims.

As an outsider I group Judaism, Christianity, and Islam as quasi-monotheistic religions who all worship the same or a related god. Sorry, but that's a theological fact. The religions are all related. They come from the same region. They share many of the same texts and stories.

Right now Islam and Judaism have theocracies going and Christianity no longer does. I appreciate Christians for that.

Nuc said:
As an outsider I group Judaism, Christianity, and Islam as quasi-monotheistic religions who all worship the same or a related god. Sorry, but that's a theological fact. The religions are all related. They come from the same region. They share many of the same texts and stories.

Right now Islam and Judaism have theocracies going and Christianity no longer does. I appreciate Christians for that.

Grouping these three religions is absurd.

dilloduck said:
Grouping these three religions is absurd.

That depends on whether you are inside or outside the religion. Sunnis and Shiites see huge differences among themselves. Hasidic and Reform Jews see the difference. Catholics and Lutherans see a difference.

From the outside they look like Muslims, Jews and Christians.

And from a longer view they look like desert religions that evolved out of one another during a relatively short period of time.

So we are both right depending on perspective.

Nuc said:
That depends on whether you are inside or outside the religion. Sunnis and Shiites see huge differences among themselves. Hasidic and Reform Jews see the difference. Catholics and Lutherans see a difference.

From the outside they look like Muslims, Jews and Christians.

And from a longer view they look like desert religions that evolved out of one another during a relatively short period of time.

So we are both right depending on perspective.

well try to focus in on what's happening--the world looks like a tiny dot from pluto but that's not a great vantage point to discuss the middle east from. I know how much you like to criticize Christianity but I'm not gonna let you get away with comparing them to muslims because they are both monotheistic.

dilloduck said:
well try to focus in on what's happening--the world looks like a tiny dot from pluto but that's not a great vantage point to discuss the middle east from. I know how much you like to criticize Christianity but I'm not gonna let you get away with comparing them to muslims because they are both monotheistic.

Are you saying that Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are not related religions in any way? That they don't come from the same region? You're losing credibility. Say Christianity is superior to the other two if that's what you think but denying a common origin is childish.

Nuc said:
Are you saying that Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are not related religions in any way? That they don't come from the same region? You're losing credibility. Say Christianity is superior to the other two if that's what you think but denying a common origin is childish.

You're saying this is a religious war and trying to claim that it is Islam vs Christianity. That's bullshit. So is comparing the way that Muslims and Christians spread the "word". If every religious person in the world wants to believe they are on the right path it's fine with me. Just don't kill me if I'm not on yours. Do Buddhists think THEY are on the right path ? I should hope so.

dilloduck said:
You're saying this is a religious war and trying to claim that it is Islam vs Christianity. That's bullshit. So is comparing the way that Muslims and Christians spread the "word". If every religious person in the world wants to believe they are on the right path it's fine with me. Just don't kill me if I'm not on yours. Do Buddhists think THEY are on the right path ? I should hope so.

I am a Buddhist so I can answer that. We think that our philosophy is a good one but that the other religions are valid as well. There is no idea that Buddhism is the "only" way.

I did NOT try to claim that it's a religious war between Christians and Muslims. That's the Crusades, happened in the past. I asked CSM that if it is a religious war, what are the sides. Don't take me out of context.

Nuc said:
I am a Buddhist so I can answer that. We think that our philosophy is a good one but that the other religions are valid as well. There is no idea that Buddhism is the "only" way.

I did NOT try to claim that it's a religious war between Christians and Muslims. That's the Crusades, happened in the past. I asked CSM that if it is a religious war, what are the sides. Don't take me out of context.

IF there is no idea that Buddhism is the "only" way then what's your beef ? Christians are doing what Christians do and likewise the Muslims. As an "outsider" i guess you are unable to see the glaring differences. One clue is that the Christians follow the Bible and Muslims follow the Koran. These two books have some very significant differences that make the two religions take very different paths.

dilloduck said:
IF there is no idea that Buddhism is the "only" way then what's your beef ?

As I have said many times my beef is the rest of us should not be placed in a threatening position because of squabbles between these desert religions.

Nuc said:
As I have said many times my beef is the rest of us should not be placed in a threatening position because of squabbles between these desert religions.

Then tell the muslims to keep their terrorists OUT OF AMERICA .

dilloduck said:
In that case you might wanna just quit blaming Christianity and put the blame where it belongs.

Where does your boner for this issue come from?

Here's what I had to say earlier in this thread:

Nuc said:
This is one of the biggest problems we face. Guys like Bush and Blair continue to proceed as though the Muslims are rational human beings who will be reasonable and act in their own best interest. They are not.

Does that sound like I'm blaming Christianity?

Nuc said:
Where does your boner for this issue come from?

The leaders of Islam are at war with anything and everything that is a threat to their power; their control of every aspect of their follower's lives (from what they eat, wear, live and even how they think) for every minute of every day is what is at risk.
your response
From this little gem of yours
There are also some Christians with this kind of viewpoint

Christians have thier own viewpoint and it is NOT a muslim one.

Forum List

Back