Thinking... Ink.

As I approach my 37th birthday next Sunday (the 17th), I realize how many changes I've made in my life in the last two years. This has brought me back to another idea that I've always considered but never done anything about.... Getting a tattoo.

I know we've got a bunch of inked individuals here at USMB, so I figured this might be a good place to solicite advice on whether I should do it, how to pick a good tattoo artist to do it, and maybe even what I should get. I don't want anything big or extreme. I was thinking upper arm or something like that. It's something I've been thinking about in the back of my head for almost 20 years, but never as seriously as I am now.

Any CONSTRUCTIVE advice, information, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My advice is to WAIT. Give it lots and lots of thought cause once you get it, it's your for the rest of your life. One day you may very well wake up and ask yourself, "What in the world was I thinking?" Not to be tossing out any kind of a scare tactic, but now and then people have allergic reactions to the ink. I saw that a few times in the Navy (ex-Navy Corpsman). It's a rare thing but when it does happen, it's very ugly. Do as you wish. But I wouldn't do it. I nearly got a tattoo once but decided against it because I've never seen one that I wouldn't get tired of looking at.

I'm really seriously considering some form of an Eagle. There are multiple symbologies of the Eagle for me. I'm an Eagle Scout. My personal heraldry in the SCA includes an "Eagle Displayed, argent (silver)". It's always been one of my favorite raptors. It's a symbol of America. Etc....

The other option I've considered is a Gryphon (the mythical creature that's half lion and half eagle). Both animals have significant meaning for me and putting them together does seem to make some sense in my mind.

I'd been thinking about my right bicep, but I'm not really sure of where just yet. A lot of that will probably depend on what design I choose if I do this.

OK.. then think long and hard about it first. Once you have it on your body its is there for life. I have seen some horrible tattoos and some terrible mistakes. I have also seen some that are beautiful. In this i do believe you get what you pay for. Have them make a mock up on paper first so you can see what you are getting.

This isn't going to be a quick decision. It's something I expect wouldn't actually get done until the fall, if I decide to do it and can find a design I like. Once I've decided on the design and that I do want to do it, I'll be researching the shops. It probably won't get done in Massachusetts. Until about 3 years ago tattoo shops were illegal in Mass, so nobody here is going to have a long-term reputation.

This isn't going to be a quick decision. It's something I expect wouldn't actually get done until the fall, if I decide to do it and can find a design I like. Once I've decided on the design and that I do want to do it, I'll be researching the shops. It probably won't get done in Massachusetts. Until about 3 years ago tattoo shops were illegal in Mass, so nobody here is going to have a long-term reputation.

Good.

And pics or it doesnt count :)

Really? thats odd.

Really? thats odd.

Would I make something that silly up, H_G? The law went back into the 1800's. It's only been changed in the last three or four years. You could do piercings, but no tattoos. Then again Mass has a ton of "odd" laws that are still on the books; as do most Northeastern states.

Really? thats odd.

Weren't they illegal in New York for a bit to ?

Really? thats odd.

Would I make something that silly up, H_G? The law went back into the 1800's. It's only been changed in the last three or four years. You could do piercings, but no tattoos. Then again Mass has a ton of "odd" laws that are still on the books; as do most Northeastern states.

That makes no sense, why were they illegal? besides, all people have to do is leave the state if they really want to get a tatoo.

Really? thats odd.

Weren't they illegal in New York for a bit to ?

I have no idea but I hope not, thats just silly.

Have any pics of what you are thinking about?

Not yet. I've just started the search. As I find stuff I'll post it here for people to comment on.

I started with naked ladies, and such typical to those in the Navy. My mother and father in-law would not let me marry my wife until I covered them with dragons and fish and stuff. The more unique it is, the better you will be able to live with it. I know two people who got the exact same tattoo the same night. I would advise you to not even consider anything on the walls, or in there books. Its actually a good thing that tattooing is just now legal in your area. The shops are more closely Monitored by the Heath Dept and BBB. You have allot working for you already.

That makes no sense, why were they illegal? besides, all people have to do is leave the state if they really want to get a tatoo.

You have to remember that I live in the Land of the Puritans, H_G. You know, the area where until the middle of last century women were not allowed to be out on the streets after midnight, and things like that.

You have to remember that I live in the Land of the Puritans, H_G. You know, the area where until the middle of last century women were not allowed to be out on the streets after midnight, and things like that.

Jesus that reminds me of my tour in Saudi Arabia:eek:, I thought Massachussets was very liberal though? I am a huge Celtics fan and I have always wanted to visit Boston.

Jesus that reminds me of my tour in Saudi Arabia:eek:, I thought Massachussets was very liberal though? I am a huge Celtics fan and I have always wanted to visit Boston.

Massachusetts is very politically liberal. You have to realize that a lot of these laws are/were well over a century old. Many of them were simply never taken off the books. We still have many areas of Massachusetts where you can't buy alcohol on Sundays; though that is slowly dying out. Until the last 20 years or so you wouldn't have been able to buy alcohol at that Celtics game because you didn't have a MASSACHUSETTS ID card. These things are slowly changing but it takes time to get rid of these "traditions" just like it takes time to get the City of Boston to pave over the cobblestone roads.

Massachusetts is very politically liberal. You have to realize that a lot of these laws are/were well over a century old. Many of them were simply never taken off the books. We still have many areas of Massachusetts where you can't buy alcohol on Sundays; though that is slowly dying out. Until the last 20 years or so you wouldn't have been able to buy alcohol at that Celtics game because you didn't have a MASSACHUSETTS ID card. These things are slowly changing but it takes time to get rid of these "traditions" just like it takes time to get the City of Boston to pave over the cobblestone roads.

Wow I had no idea about these rules, at least their changing them though.

Forum List

Back