Thinking... Ink.

Anachronism

Rookie
Jan 30, 2011
New England
As I approach my 37th birthday next Sunday (the 17th), I realize how many changes I've made in my life in the last two years. This has brought me back to another idea that I've always considered but never done anything about.... Getting a tattoo.

I know we've got a bunch of inked individuals here at USMB, so I figured this might be a good place to solicite advice on whether I should do it, how to pick a good tattoo artist to do it, and maybe even what I should get. I don't want anything big or extreme. I was thinking upper arm or something like that. It's something I've been thinking about in the back of my head for almost 20 years, but never as seriously as I am now.

Any CONSTRUCTIVE advice, information, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I found the perfect one for you, have the tattoo artist copy it from the shirt:

images

As I approach my 37th birthday next Sunday (the 17th), I realize how many changes I've made in my life in the last two years. This has brought me back to another idea that I've always considered but never done anything about.... Getting a tattoo.

I know we've got a bunch of inked individuals here at USMB, so I figured this might be a good place to solicite advice on whether I should do it, how to pick a good tattoo artist to do it, and maybe even what I should get. I don't want anything big or extreme. I was thinking upper arm or something like that. It's something I've been thinking about in the back of my head for almost 20 years, but never as seriously as I am now.

Any CONSTRUCTIVE advice, information, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Live with a design for a while before you put it on your body. The tattoo I have, I got at age 41 after an extremely acrimonious and bitter divorce. It actually is a piece of artwork that hung on my wall in my bedroom for a couple of years before I ever put it on my body. Also, think long and hard about where you will place it. Mine is on my right shoulder, which I am cool with, but I kind of didn't think about the fact that I might want to wear a strapless dress to a formal occasion at some point, and while I love my tattoo, I don't love showing it in formalwear.

My tattoo is of the fox with the words below it in this picture:

full.jpg

The words mean, in gaelic: no collar or crown. They were very symbolic to me, because I'd spent my entire life subsuming my wants, needs, dreams and goals to other people's expectations of me. I promised myself that I would never again live like that, and the tattoo was a way of committing myself to that promise.

If it weren't that symbolic to you, I wouldn't do it at all.

If it's relatively small and simple, the image can be scanned and made into an outlined transfer. This will be placed on your skin as a guide to the artist who will do the outline first.

Maybe you could wear this outline for a while (might rub off/fade off over 2/3 days?).
The studio should have a photo portfolio of work they've already done. Check it out.

One other thoughts: some of the coolest tats I've seen recently were done with white ink. I don't know what your professional role is, but it's something to think about. I don't know how long they hold up (I suspect they'd need to be touched up more than blue/black), but they're cool looking.

Live with a design for a while before you put it on your body.....

.....If it weren't that symbolic to you, I wouldn't do it at all.

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about some sort of Eagle on my right bicep. The Eagle is a symbol in a number of different ways for me, so it is quite meaningful. Haven't really picked out a particular design just yet.

If it's relatively small and simple, the image can be scanned and made into an outlined transfer. This will be placed on your skin as a guide to the artist who will do the outline first.

Maybe you could wear this outline for a while (might rub off/fade off over 2/3 days?).
The studio should have a photo portfolio of work they've already done. Check it out.

Thanks for the input. That's a good idea.

One other thoughts: some of the coolest tats I've seen recently were done with white ink. I don't know what your professional role is, but it's something to think about. I don't know how long they hold up (I suspect they'd need to be touched up more than blue/black), but they're cool looking.

I have very light skin. I'd heard of the white ink and while it's a cool idea I'm not sure it would show up on my skin. Thanks for the info though.

Avoid your face and neck.

I have a full facial birthmark. The face is NOT an option for me at all. Thanks for the advice on the neck though.

And just think how much cooler you'll look at 70 compared to others who over they years considered tats idiotic.

I stopped worrying about what others thought of my appearance at about age seven, blastoff. I've had people ask if my facial birthmark is a tattoo on more than one occasion. I'd be doing this for ME, not for anyone else.

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about some sort of Eagle on my right bicep. The Eagle is a symbol in a number of different ways for me, so it is quite meaningful. Haven't really picked out a particular design just yet.

When you do, put it somewhere where you can look at it almost daily for at least a few months, and make sure that it is what you really want.

I have very light skin. I'd heard of the white ink and while it's a cool idea I'm not sure it would show up on my skin. Thanks for the info though.

From what I've read, the lighter the skin, the better it shows up, and the longer it is likely to last. Doesn't work well at all on dark skin tones.

Two more thoughts...I'd advise against getting it in a place where it will catch a lot of sunlight, it will fade the artwork and require more frequent touchups. Second, consider a bony location that is unlikely to shrink or change as you age. For this reason, the forearm is probably better than the bicep. The shoulder, in the bony parts, is also less likely to experience age-related muscle loss.

Last edited:

So what are you thinking of getting and where?

Last edited:
I stopped worrying about what others thought of my appearance at about age seven, blastoff. I've had people ask if my facial birthmark is a tattoo on more than one occasion. I'd be doing this for ME, not for anyone else.

It's always been amusing to me that people who would never get a tattoo react with such vitriole to people who have them or are considering one. It's almost like they consider it a personal attack.

When you find some designs you like, post them here, I'd enjoy seeing them.

When you do, put it somewhere where you can look at it almost daily for at least a few months, and make sure that it is what you really want.

Thanks for the advice. It's a great idea, and one I've used for another "artistic" project in the past, so I know how well it can work.

From what I've read, the lighter the skin, the better it shows up, and the longer it is likely to last. Doesn't work well at all on dark skin tones.

I'll keep that in mind.

Two more thoughts...I'd advise against getting it in a place where it will catch a lot of sunlight, it will fade the artwork and require more frequent touchups. Second, consider a bony location that is unlikely to shrink or change as you age. For this reason, the forearm is probably better than the bicep. The shoulder, in the bony parts, is also less likely to experience age-related muscle loss.

Unless it's on my head or my hands it's not likely to get a huge amount of sunlight. Thanks for the advice on the forearm and shoulder. How is the upper chest? This is something that would be more for my own viewing than anyone else's, so the back of the shoulder really doesn't work very well, since I can't readily see it. Thanks again for all the advice.

So what are you thinking of getting and were?

I always thought about getting a tatoo but could never decide on anything, what are you thinking of getting?

I'm really seriously considering some form of an Eagle. There are multiple symbologies of the Eagle for me. I'm an Eagle Scout. My personal heraldry in the SCA includes an "Eagle Displayed, argent (silver)". It's always been one of my favorite raptors. It's a symbol of America. Etc....

The other option I've considered is a Gryphon (the mythical creature that's half lion and half eagle). Both animals have significant meaning for me and putting them together does seem to make some sense in my mind.

I'd been thinking about my right bicep, but I'm not really sure of where just yet. A lot of that will probably depend on what design I choose if I do this.

It's always been amusing to me that people who would never get a tattoo react with such vitriole to people who have them or are considering one. It's almost like they consider it a personal attack.

When you find some designs you like, post them here, I'd enjoy seeing them.

Actually the ones who ask about the birthmark generally think it's a really cool tattoo. I've probably had three or four people ask over the years. So far as I'm concerned they're a personal statement. I'm not a huge fan of the idea of covering the entire body with them, but I think they can be very classy and nice if done well and within reasonable limitations.

As I find stuff I'll post it.

Last edited:

Have you thought about having your entire ignore list tattooed on your back?

Put allot of time into who you choose. It is as important as choosing a doctor. If they wont give reference, dont spend your money with them. There is a huge difference between a tattoo artist and some ex-carney employee scratching out designs from a book or poster on a wall. You can wear a phoney for awhile, but that will only incourage you to change your mind allot.

Forum List

Back