Thinking About Getting My Masters Degree

Lewdog

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2016
Williamsburg, KY
I'm thinking about going ahead and getting my Masters Degree after I graduate next semester. I don't want to have to drive back and forth to Richmond, KY which is about an hour and a half each way, but they offer an online program where I can chose between Criminal Justice Policy and Leadership with concentration in either Policing, Corrections, or Juvenile Justice. It's 30 hours of courses with each course in an accelerated 8 week courses. With that said, I would not to pick which area to concentrate in. I definitely don't want to do policing even though my minor is Police Sciences, so that leaves either Corrections or Juvenile Justice. I've worked in Corrections before, so I know all about that area, so has anyone worked in Juvenile Justice? Any recommendations?

Also, can someone give me some information on how student aid works for people going for a Masters Degree?

all i know is in nc....if you have student debt and go to graduate school....your debt is still interest free...degrees are so over rated now.....one needs higher degrees....your master then the doctorate

Yeah, I'm just so lost on what to do at this point, because of the fact that everyone does seem to have more education and degrees than ever.

I'm thinking about going ahead and getting my Masters Degree after I graduate next semester. I don't want to have to drive back and forth to Richmond, KY which is about an hour and a half each way, but they offer an online program where I can chose between Criminal Justice Policy and Leadership with concentration in either Policing, Corrections, or Juvenile Justice. It's 30 hours of courses with each course in an accelerated 8 week courses. With that said, I would not to pick which area to concentrate in. I definitely don't want to do policing even though my minor is Police Sciences, so that leaves either Corrections or Juvenile Justice. I've worked in Corrections before, so I know all about that area, so has anyone worked in Juvenile Justice? Any recommendations?

Also, can someone give me some information on how student aid works for people going for a Masters Degree?

My 61 year old sister is currently studying for her Master's in Education. She is teaching public school, a school bus monitor, husband who won't work a job and a house full of grandkids. Sis has a lot on her plate but she can handle it.

Just like I always said. Thought police are control freaks with the same personality of regular police.

Don't know if my experience is relevant these days but the financial aid worked largely the same, the programs just had different names at that level and you taught a couple or three low level undergrad courses for a stipend. With a major in Policing a stint in the military as an investigator in the MCJ system would look good on a civilian resume, and would pay better and be better real life experience than some crappy 'internship' rip off scheme.

Don't know if my experience is relevant these days but the financial aid worked largely the same, the programs just had different names at that level and you taught a couple or three low level undergrad courses for a stipend. With a major in Policing a stint in the military as an investigator in the MCJ system would look good on a civilian resume, and would pay better and be better real life experience than some crappy 'internship' rip off scheme.

Well I already did my internship with a Private Investigation company last summer.

The on line curriculum has to be accredited by a major university or the degree is worthless.

The on line curriculum has to be accredited by a major university or the degree is worthless.

Yeah the online program at Eastern Kentucky University is top 10 in the country.

Yeah the online program at Eastern Kentucky University is top 10 in the country.

Eastern Kentucky is an accredited University and not a diploma mill. Arizona State is also an accredited University that has on-line programs. Go for it and never look back.

All it takes are courage and determination to accomplish any goal. I never went to college and self-taught by reading college text books. I graduated High School with a 2.9 GPA and achieved success.

The most important questions to answer are: What is the payoff for your investment in both effort and money? Are there significant opportunities for a Masters in your field? What do those positions pay?

The most important questions to answer are: What is the payoff for your investment in both effort and money? Are there significant opportunities for a Masters in your field? What do those positions pay?

Well, my cousin who has a degree in Bio-chem, a Master's and just got his PhD and now works setting up stem cell researches across the country thinks I shouldn't do it. He doesn't think the extra $18,000 in loans is worth it. He said that if his post grad schooling wasn't paid for by doing the research at the university, he wouldn't have done it. Then again, Criminal Justice isn't the same as his field... so I'm not sure.

With that said, I could just stop with my BA in Criminal Justice and look for a job as a private investigator, where it isn't hard to find a job that pays $50 an hour. I'm just not real sure if I want to sit in a car for a living watching people.

I agree with your cousin. I've seen too many people go deeper in debt to get a Masters and had no better job than they would have had with their Bachelors. There has to be other options than PI.

Forum List

Back