Thinking about a career change

Andrew2382

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2008
Had a discussion with the wifey about it a few nights ago.

Currently I work at a company called Aon, where I deal in Risk Management for large commercial accounts. It's a fun job, I like the people I work with and I get to travel...plus my salary is very good with great benefits

I am 27, and I am coming to the stark realization that if I spend the next 30-40 years of my life staring at a computer screen...I might go insane.

I love to be outside and see new things every day.

3 of my best friends are NYPD and they all love it, and I had serious discussions about the job with them this past weekend.

I have been thinking about becoming an officer here in South Florida, looking at Hollywood, Aventura, Pembroke Pines, Weston...Hollywood being first because I know the Chief of Police.

Starting pay is a little over 46 and with overtime you can easily bang out 60-70 your first year, with top pay in 5 and a half years being 63, with overtime you can get 80+ easy.

It's about a 30-40% paycut for me, but I think its something I would enjoy doing a lot more.

Also, I get to retire in 20 years an dthe pensions here are much better compared to say NYPD, pension here is 80% of your last years pay which is fantastic, plus benefits.

I am pretty well set financially so the pay cut woudln't kill me right now even though later down the road, lifestyle woul dhave to go down just a notch to maintain the income level which I am fine with.

Any officers out there that can provide some insight, or anyone with helpfull recommendations?

Forum List

Back