Think there's no proof for evolution? Have a cigarette!

• Banned
dmp said:
You're like that guy who smokes pot because it makes him feel 'close to God'.

Seek psychological help, friend. Really. Schizophrenia is a bitch.

That's Keeb, not God. And I haven't smoked pot in about 6 months.

But I don't see how any of this is relevant.

Oh wait, I forgot, when righties see something they don't like, they attack the messenger, not the message.

SpidermanTuba said:
Yeah, the same people who don't believe in evolution, which is based on indirect evidence, believe cigaretts cause cancer, which is also based on indirect evidence.

So this is a pro-evolution thread?

SpidermanTuba said:
So based on that, you believe cigaretts don't cause cancer? I'm failing to see your point.

Then obviously you have reading comprehension abilities.

The point is simple: It doesnt matter if it causes cancer or not because thats not the main reason most people don't smoke.

I don't necessarily think a belief in evolution is contrary to a belief in a Deity, or even the christian Deity.

Such a Deity could use evolution as a tool to create life. I don't see how one could not compliment the other.

Personally, I believe that evolution is the process that created the current life on this planet. Do I think that is evidence that God doesn't exist? Of course not. While I don't believe in the christian version of the Deity, I can see no direct evidence that would deny His existence because of evidence of evolution.

I will say my piece again...

I believe that science answers this question:

How did He do it? or How did it happen?

I believe that science has no way to answer the question:

Does He exist?

no1tovote4 said:
I don't necessarily think a belief in evolution is contrary to a belief in a Deity, or even the christian Deity.

Such a Deity could use evolution as a tool to create life. I don't see how one could not compliment the other.

Personally, I believe that evolution is the process that created the current life on this planet. Do I think that is evidence that God doesn't exist? Of course not. While I don't believe in the christian version of the Deity, I can see no direct evidence that would deny His existence because of evidence of evolution.

I will say my piece again...

I believe that science answers this question:

How did He do it? or How did it happen?

I believe that science has no way to answer the question:

Does He exist?

Don't confuse him with logic...

SpidermanTuba said:
No.

"Do you believe it causes cancer" is a question, not a comparison.

ONE BIG basic problem. You dont see the difference in the methology of proofs.

Proving cancer (can) cause cancer requires only one incident of it occuring.
Proving evolution is true, PROVING IT, requires that each and every step of the way is possible and that some (a significant enough number) have actually occured to give us a high probability.

Proving evolution OCCURRED, past tense, is much differrent than proving smoking CAUSES, present tense, cancer.

Now, I can prove that changing babies diapers is bad for ones diet habits, so should I quit smoking now?

LuvRPgrl said:
ONE BIG basic problem. You dont see the difference in the methology of proofs.

Proving cancer (can) cause cancer requires only one incident of it occuring.

No it doesn't. You seem to lack understanding of even the fundamentals of the scientific method. If one person gets lung cancer, and they also smoke, this does not prove a causal relationship. THe might also eat blueberry muffins every moring, this doesn't show that bluberry muffins can cause cancer.

Proving evolution is true, PROVING IT, requires that each and every step of the way is possible and that some (a significant enough number) have actually occured to give us a high probability.

Proving evolution OCCURRED, past tense, is much differrent than proving smoking CAUSES, present tense, cancer.

Now, I can prove that changing babies diapers is bad for ones diet habits, so should I quit smoking now?

Evolution makes predictions about what fossils we will observe in present day now. It has thus far been successful at predicting many of the attributes of the fossils we find. Thus it is a useful theory. ID makes no such predictions, thus it is useless.

Forum List

Back