Think Progress; MSNBC 'Manufactured' a Story with Putative Smoking Gun 'Mob' Memo

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CaféAuLait, Aug 6, 2009.

1. CaféAuLait

CaféAuLait This Space for Rent

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,323
    Think Progress; MSNBC 'Manufactured' a Story with Putative Smoking Gun 'Mob' Memo

The Weekly Standard

2. Maple

Maple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +568
    Yeah it is ridiculous. This guy e-mails a few friends and now it's a national movement. Ever heard of ACORN you libs.????

3. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124

I posted my theory that this memo outcry was manufactured a couple days ago.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...wn-sebelius-and-specter-at-2.html#post1392225

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  4. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,714
    I think it's all a big lie. Everybody knows that there aren't but one, maybe two, conservatives in the whole state of Connecticut. You would think a big organization like MSNBC would be smart enough to know that and come up with a better lie.

5. DiveCon

DiveCon gone

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    wow, i guess i should add this group to my facebook
    dont want to miss those "marching orders" now would i

:lol:

6. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,702
    ain't it hard to march in those flippers? :eusa_eh:

7. edthecynic

edthecynic Censored for Cynicism

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,696
    So typical of the GOP disinformation machine to pretend this one group is the only GOP group behind the CON$ervative thugs. They pretend Freedomworks and Americans for Progress are not involved.

How Come CBS Journalists Can’t Recognize Paid Lobbyists When They See Them?

By: Jane Hamsher Tuesday August 4, 2009 9:34 am [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you got your information from the CBS News last night, you would believe that "angry protesters" are cropping up "everywhere Democrats are trying to defend health care reform." "Conservative websites" like Freedomworks are recruiting them, based on "real fear over the increased taxes" and "government control" of the health care system.
    Max Pappas from Freedomworks shows up to speak on their behalf.
    Freedomworks isn't some "organic grassroots" outfit. It's run by former Republican House Majority Leader Dick Armey -- corporate lobbyist, global warming denier and ladie's man. The President and CEO of Freedomworks is Matt Kibbee, who was trained by Lee Atwater. Kibbe was behind the attempt to get Ralph Nader put on the ballot in Oregon in 2004, prompting a complaint to the FEC of illegal collusion with the GOP.
    Steve Forbes is on the FreedomWorks board. As Paul Krugman noted, their money comes from the Koch, Scaife, Bradley, Olin nexus, as well as other reliable funders of right wing infrastructure including Exxon Mobil.
    Freedomworks has a long history of skunk works. In 2004, a woman who identified herself as a "single mother" in Iowa, Sandra Jacques, appeared at a George Bush town hall and gushed about his plan to privatize Social Security. She left out the part about being an employee of Freedomworks, who were lobbying on the issue at the time. [​IMG]
    David Koch is also Chairman of the other major outfit heavily involved in these "organic" uprisings, Americans for Prosperity, whose members lynched Democrat Frank Kratovil in effigy. Koch is the 19th richest man in the world. They recently renamed the New York State Theater in Lincoln Center the David H. Koch Theater.
    These aren't just some organizations that these guys gave money to. They run them.
    This extreme violent behavior is being organized and funded by those at the highest levels of the conservative infrastructure. It's not some sideline, some quirky hobby. It is the function and purpose of these organizations to threaten and intimidate elected officials in order to subvert the will of the electorate to a corporate agenda.

8. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    From the article:

The block quote Think Progress provides from MacGuffie's memo (dutifully reproduced on other liberal blogs) also implies there are sentiments in the memo that simply aren't there. Each of TP's examples of the "harassment" MacGuffie is inciting is preceded by a headline MacGuffie didn't write, which lends a considerably more sinister tone than MacGuffie used. The bolded headlines below do not appear in the memo, but do appear in Think Progress' block quote of it:

– Artificially Inflate Your Numbers: “Spread out in the hall and try to be in the front half. The objective is to put the Rep on the defensive with your questions and follow-up...
    – Be Disruptive Early And Often: “You need to rock-the-boat early in the Rep’s presentation, Watch for an opportunity to yell out and challenge the Rep’s statements early.”
    – Try To “Rattle Him,” Not Have An Intelligent Debate: “The goal is to rattle him, get him off his prepared script and agenda. If he says something outrageous, stand up and shout out and sit right back down...
    The attempt to paint him as a professional, funded operative is off-base, MacGuffie said, laughing.

"I guess they don't believe that people in America will stand up and fight back when government gets overbearing," said MacGuffie, who added that he originally e-mailed the memo to 8-10 Connecticut activists in June.​

Dive, looks like you'll be luck number 11 on MacGuffie's contact list. :lol:

9. Sweet Willy

Sweet Willy BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +180
    So it is a real document. It's not a forgery.

10. Fatality

Fatality SunCrackedSoul

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +280
    lol, i love it, one guy and 5,000 bucks can disrupt the entire dnc? shit i got 5k lying around...hmmm