THINK people.. how much water is 385 billion tons of ice?

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
I've asked this simple arithmetic question in another thread but I think it doesn't strike home so I'm sharing again..
ALGore/global warming people are concerned about melting ice caps/glaciers etc right?
NASA calculates over 385 billion tons of ice melt into the ocean every year.

HOW MUCH of that water is added to the oceans?

.000056% of the total 343 quintillion gallons in all the oceans!

That's the same as 10 oz of water in a 648,000 gallon swimming pool!

NOW folks.. tell me again what will be the sea level changes going to be if over the next 200 years a total of the equivalent of adding 31 gallons to a 648,000 gallon pool?

I'm trying to picture a 648,000 pool with 31 more gallons added to it???

Folks this exercise is simply to get people THINKING.. logically and rationally!

This exercise in simple arithmetic SHOULD be done FREQUENTLY by people especially those supposedly so smart!
Case in point WE ARE ALL being affected by higher gas prices today WHY?
For ONE reason a 345,000 barrels per day refinery in St. Croix will be going off line forever!
Why ? Because the OBAMA administration was going to fine them millions for very minute air
violations and the owners said.."to hell with it!" The cost of re-fitting,etc.. just wasn't worth it so they are closing it down, costing 1,500 jobs and taking 345,000 barrels off line in the future.
HENCE oil speculators betting the supplies will get tighter have raised prices!
All because some stupid US Obama govt worker wanted to fine one of those EVIL OIL companies!

I've got MORE examples of how Obama especially is doing EVERYTHING possible to destroy our economy!

On a smaller scale Obama's EPA cost this community jobs!!!

“If they want to create jobs, provide health insurance, and increase revenue,” Bryant said in reference to the federal government,
“they need to back down on the regulatory burden. It’s like pulling an iron ball with a chain.
I’m not saying to make it go away—just the stuff that’s not pertinent or useful.”
Terry Douglas, who owns two mines in Jasper with Bryant, said it costs them about $250,000 per mine in permit fees alone and that paperwork and regulatory inspections are a constant presence (as well as an additional revenue strain). When asked about typical concerns surrounding coal mining—including companies skirting health and safety regulations—Douglas said it “doesn’t make sense” to let safety lapse and risk losing miners to illness or injury when it would only cost more to train new personnel.
“We take care of our equipment and take care of our people,” Douglas said. “The regulations make coal miners out to be criminals; but we’re not outlaws. Coal mining is an art. I have a civil engineering degree; Ronnie has a mining engineering degree. It’s not wildcat whiskey we’re making; this is drinking whiskey we got.”
Bryant pointed to less stringent environmental regulations in countries such as China, saying that the U.S. is falling behind even though it has abundant resources. “But you can’t get to them,” he said, adding that while there are concerns over dwindling wildlife populations, “people are becoming the endangered species.”
Gwendolyn Keyes Fleming, regional administrator for EPA’s Southeast Region, attended the Birmingham public hearing but could not be reached for comment.
Businessman Ronnie Bryant Tells Feds – ‘I’m Just Quitting’ | TheBlaze.com

How much more precious is freshwater than saltwater. Losing a glacier is like losing an aquifer. It's all important, every single drop.

The point is that we didn't do it. Ice core samples show wild fluctuations in earth's climate over the last 100,000 years. In fact some scientists think we are just now emerging from a mini-ice age. It's good news for everyone but the left who thrive on bad news and extortion.

5.4 million cubic feet

40.4 million gallons

153,000 cubic meters

What the Miss. river discharges in about 1 1/2 minutes.

I've asked this simple arithmetic question in another thread but I think it doesn't strike home so I'm sharing again..
ALGore/global warming people are concerned about melting ice caps/glaciers etc right?

NOW folks.. tell me again what will be the sea level changes going to be if over the next 200 years a total of the equivalent of adding 31 gallons to a 648,000 gallon pool?

If you want to see higher water levels and widespread flooding, just push Al Gore into an ocean and learn all about "water displacement". :cool:

A few points:

1) The number cited (385B tons of ice) carries a fair amount of uncertainty.

2) Not all global-warming related rise in ocean levels comes from icemelt. Thermal expansion of liquid water is also substantial (Current sea level rise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

3) Ice melting causes other concerns besides rising sea levels. Ice reflects much more of the sun's heat than bare Antarctic mass, so less ice means the earth will grow hotter than it would otherwise.

4) Rising ocean levels are far from the largest concern associated with global warming. There's also extreme weather, and direct effects on plants and animals.

5) Are you sure about your "arithmetic"?

.000056% of the total 343 quintillion gallons in all the oceans:

(5.6e-7)(343 quintillion) gallons = 1.9e14 gallons

Whereas, 385 billion tons of ice is

385 billion tons of water is

3.583e17 grams of water is

3.493e17 milliliters of water is

9.22e13 gallons of water

So you seem to be off by about a factor of two.

From above source:
In 1995 the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change issued a report which contained various projections of the sea level change by the year 2100. They estimate that the sea will rise 50 centimeters (20 inches) with the lowest estimates at 15 centimeters (6 inches) and the highest at 95 centimeters (37 inches). The rise will come from thermal expansion of the ocean and from melting glaciers and ice sheets. Twenty inches is no small amount -- it could have a big effect on coastal cities, especially during storms.

Operative word"COULD"! Plus the above estimate was done in 1995 ..17 years ago
and since then again glacier melt was off by 90% remember they didn't have GRACE to accurately measure
and the estimates was 50 billion Himalayan melt when it was only 4 billion!

Forum List

Back