Think of This Before you Advocate Gun Control

Glensather

Gothic Vampires
Nov 10, 2012
World 1-1
(Note that I'm neither pro nor anti-gun control; my guns aren't affected by bans unless they start going for pump shotguns or hunting rifles. Or revolvers.)

The United States has about 20,000 miles (or 32000 kilometers) in coastline and borders combined. We have the largest borders between countries (the boundary between the US and Canada is almost 5600 miles alone), and the eighth longest coastline in the world, below countries like Canada, Greenland, and Japan.

The US also has the most airports, at a whopping 15,000 (rounded down). Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta had 55 million passengers in the first half of 2012 alone, and Memphis International had almost 4 million metric tons (almost 4.5 million tons as the US knows it) of cargo pass through it in 2010.

Add all that up, and you have a situation where gun control is impossible. Simply put, there are too many ways to get into this country. Can you police every single mile of coastline? Every single inch of border? No, you can't. There are simply not enough people who are capable of doing that.

Air travel, too. Four and a half million tons is a lot of cargo, and 55 million people is a fuckload of people. Tell me, how easy do you think it is to sneak in a shipment of AK-47s through that? Hell, with that much going on (15,000 airports, remember), it's probably easy to ship in a nuke if you really wanted to.

Again, do you think it's at all possible to get all of that checked? Even if we had the manpower to ensure that each piece of freight was inspected thoroughly, or that each person was cleared of any wrongdoing, how easy do you think it is for someone to, say, slack off for just a second? Or, perhaps, for someone to give a cargo inspector an extra bit of cash on the side so he can look the other way.

I've said it before: Any of us, right now, can go to a website in Tor's undernet, or travel to South America, and buy an AK and all the rounds you'll ever need for less than a thousand bucks. And they'll get it to a dead drop of your choosing.

Geographically alone, it's impossible to keep weapons - automatics or else - out of this country. Someone will sneak it in. Even if we made like China and closed our borders in all but a few places, there still would be no way to do it.

So think about that for a second. Like I said, I'm not anti-gun control nor pro-gun control. I just don't think it's feasible to have gun control.

(Also, with a country like Japan, who has coastline larger than us, note that I didn't even go into cultural differences. A gun in Japan is rare; even the organized crime there still use melee weapons.)

SOURCES:
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/crs/rs21729.pdf
List of countries by length of coastline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of countries and territories by land borders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Countries with the Most Airports
World's busiest airports by passenger traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
World's busiest airports by cargo traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1. Most of America's 300+ million guns were manufactured within the US, so the argument concerning guns being smuggled into the country is a false one. In the US, guns have also long been readily available to the crimminal element through the secondary market, such as gun shows, where most documentation is effectively bypassed.

2. Despite almost 5600 miles of border with the US and 202,080 km of coastline (compared to 19,924 km for the US), Canada is still able to impose strict controls on handguns and automatic weapons - so it is possible to impliment effective control given the political will to enforce it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_length_of_coastline

3. Recently, Windsor Ontario was able to go 26 months without a gun related homicide while Detroit, while its neighbor on the south side of the Detroit River just 1900 feet away and joined by the Ambassador Bridge, was averaging one gun related homicide daily.

Last edited:
(Note that I'm neither pro nor anti-gun control; my guns aren't affected by bans unless they start going for pump shotguns or hunting rifles. Or revolvers.)

The United States has about 20,000 miles (or 32000 kilometers) in coastline and borders combined. We have the largest borders between countries (the boundary between the US and Canada is almost 5600 miles alone), and the eighth longest coastline in the world, below countries like Canada, Greenland, and Japan.

The US also has the most airports, at a whopping 15,000 (rounded down). Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta had 55 million passengers in the first half of 2012 alone, and Memphis International had almost 4 million metric tons (almost 4.5 million tons as the US knows it) of cargo pass through it in 2010.

Add all that up, and you have a situation where gun control is impossible. Simply put, there are too many ways to get into this country. Can you police every single mile of coastline? Every single inch of border? No, you can't. There are simply not enough people who are capable of doing that.

Air travel, too. Four and a half million tons is a lot of cargo, and 55 million people is a fuckload of people. Tell me, how easy do you think it is to sneak in a shipment of AK-47s through that? Hell, with that much going on (15,000 airports, remember), it's probably easy to ship in a nuke if you really wanted to.

Again, do you think it's at all possible to get all of that checked? Even if we had the manpower to ensure that each piece of freight was inspected thoroughly, or that each person was cleared of any wrongdoing, how easy do you think it is for someone to, say, slack off for just a second? Or, perhaps, for someone to give a cargo inspector an extra bit of cash on the side so he can look the other way.

I've said it before: Any of us, right now, can go to a website in Tor's undernet, or travel to South America, and buy an AK and all the rounds you'll ever need for less than a thousand bucks. And they'll get it to a dead drop of your choosing.

Geographically alone, it's impossible to keep weapons - automatics or else - out of this country. Someone will sneak it in. Even if we made like China and closed our borders in all but a few places, there still would be no way to do it.

So think about that for a second. Like I said, I'm not anti-gun control nor pro-gun control. I just don't think it's feasible to have gun control.

(Also, with a country like Japan, who has coastline larger than us, note that I didn't even go into cultural differences. A gun in Japan is rare; even the organized crime there still use melee weapons.)

SOURCES:
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/crs/rs21729.pdf
List of countries and territories by land borders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Countries with the Most Airports
World's busiest airports by passenger traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
World's busiest airports by cargo traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hate fucking fence sitters. That exactly what you are. You're neither for or against gun control. People like you are worse than an actual gun grabber. Do you think it will just stop with semi automatic weapons? Once if the gun grabbers get what they want with semi automatics they will come for your guns.
Get off the fucking fence.

1. Most of America's 300+ million guns were manufactured within the US, so the argument concerning guns being smuggled into the country is a false one. In the US, guns have also long been readily available to the crimminal element through the secondary market, such as gun shows, where most documentation is effectively bypassed.

2. Despite almost 5600 miles of border with the US and 202,080 km of coastline (compared to 19,924 km for the US), Canada is still able to impose strict controls on handguns and automatic weapons - so it is possible to impliment effective control given the political will to enforce it.

3. Recently, Windsor Ontario was able to go 26 months without a gun related homicide while Detroit, while its neighbor on the south side of the Detroit River just 1900 feet away and joined by the Ambassador Bridge, was averaging one gun related homicide daily.
Why is it that you think gun control works? It has not has of yet.

I'll grant you that. But gun control isn't going to fix that. All the secondary market is, is an open black market. If gun control were enforced, this same market would just go underground.

Canada also only has 33 million people as compared to the US 311 million. There are far fewer people to police and protect. People there can more reliably depend on law enforcement.

I knew not getting into culture would bite me in the ass.
Canada's culture is also far less violent than ours. While they do have their fair share of it in their entertainment, historically they've been less murderous than us.

I hate fucking fence sitters. That exactly what you are. You're neither for or against gun control. People like you are worse than an actual gun grabber. Do you think it will just stop with semi automatic weapons? Once if the gun grabbers get what they want with semi automatics they will come for your guns.
Get off the fucking fence.

If, IF, they come after my weapons, then yes, I will care.
But as it stands, I'm not convinced that Congress will try to take all the guns. Any legislation attempted will be shot down.

Unless the Democrats get a super majority in both House and Senate.

There are 300 million guns in the US, there is no way to get them under control

[When the Government has all the guns this is what happens. "Hi! I'm from the government and we read what you wrote this morning. Can I and my friends here come in to talk to you about it?"
Of course you all know how sensitive Barry is about his image, recall the photo op of Barry and Jan Brewer on the tarmac in Phoenix. Lots of fingers, lots of fingers. ]

"BEIJING (AP) — China's government tightened Internet controls Friday with approval of a law that requires users to register their names after a flood of online complaints about official abuses rattled Communist Party leaders.

Authorities say the law will strengthen protections for personal information. But it also is likely to curtail the Internet's status as a forum to complain about the government or publicize corruption.

"Their intention is very clear: It is to take back that bit of space for public opinion, that freedom of speech hundreds of millions of Chinese Internet users have strived for," said Murong Xuecun, a prominent Chinese writer.

The rules approved by China's national legislature highlight the chronic tension between the ruling Communist Party's desire to reap technology's benefits and its insistence on controlling information.

Beijing encourages Web use for business and education but tries to block material deemed subversive or obscene. It has steadily stepped up censorship, especially after social media played a role in protests that brought down governments in Egypt and Tunisia."

China requires Internet users to register names - Yahoo! News

"Tuesday night, police would only say the brothers got a hold of an unsecured handgun in a bedroom. An adult family member was at home at the time, but did not know the children had found the gun."

images

10-Year-Old Boy Accidentally Shot and Killed on Christmas

A 10-year-old boy was shot and killed when he and his brother were handling a gun Tuesday afternoon.

Upon hearing that the boys had been playing with a gun, Marshall said that such tragedies should be avoided at all costs by hiding weapons in secure places away from children.

10-Year-Old Boy Accidentally Shot and Killed on Christmas | WREG.com — Memphis News & Weather from WREG Television, News Channel 3

Better ban mobile homes and fire too.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/dec/27/officials-identify-two-killed-christmas-day-mobile/

Last edited:

Forum List

Back