CDZ Think of mandatory health insurance this way....

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
Think of it as fixing the freeloader problem.

Its time to admit we all want whatever $400,000 stem cell treatment that can save our lives and poor folks show up at the emergency room which has to sorta treat them when they have the flu.

Forcing everyone to carry some form of health insurance is GREAT. Broke Bob with 8 kids can't afford to pay $500 a month to insurance but if you can get $100 a month out of him by docking his ridiculous tax return then GREAT, the country is financially better off. Should he get a discount and I pay full price? No. Is America better off if he pays $1200 a year than nothing? Yes, give him a stake in the game!

State's rights don't bother me much here. Maybe my glass is 1/2 empty but aren't States are a place the Band of Brothers (101st Airborne ) has to go to enforce desegregation. The best thing to come out of State's rights are emissions controls and maybe some ridiculous cancer warnings.

Really the world is changing. I can get in my 20 year old multi-port injected car with 100,000 mile old spark plugs and drive across six New England states in a few hours get get my appendix treated or my abortion performed in a healthcare this or that state. The world is smaller. I could live with a Federal mandate saying each state has to have mandatory health insurance or they don't get this or that benefit like Border Patrol or military protection or free passage to other states if Arkansas wants to support freeloaders.

IMO the other choice is letting hospitals throw out people who can't pay or finance their new kidney or heart valve or stint. Their savior or your church might just come by and pay for their treatment, right?

That way we let Capitalism do its thing. Folks are gonna get desperate when their kid needs a $100,000 something or other though. America is a place with plenty of guns and a "I can do this" mentality, its gonna take some big government to keep the desperate in line.

Either way.

1*ghsS6XcszTfl9UTYGdYsSg.jpeg

ok. I'll keep the text shorter.

Do you think there are freeloaders on our healthcare system? Ppl who don't have insurance who still get treated?

Sure. That's what living in a community is all about. We take care of each other. Only stingy twits have a problem with it.

So you are for socialized medicine?

Nope.

So you want me and you to be forced pay for the freeloaders (or ppl just too unlucky to have money/insurance to be fair) in a non-socialized kinda way? Please explain better. I feel like I'm interrogating you.

So you want me and you to be forced pay for the freeloaders (or ppl just too unlucky to have money/insurance to be fair) in a non-socialized kinda way? Please explain better. I feel like I'm interrogating you.

I don't want you to be forced to do anything. That's the point. But I doubt you are. Can you tell me exactly how you are being forced to pay for freeloaders? Who is forcing you to do this?

I don't want you to be forced to do anything. That's the point. But I doubt you are. Can you tell me exactly how you are being forced to pay for freeloaders? Who is forcing you to do this?

My theory is we have always paid for those who could not pay. Since modern medicine became a thing anyway.

In 1974 or 1977 if a man showed up at a hospital having a heart attack they tried to help him. They really could not just throw him on the street and let him die.

If he died and had no estate, no insurance, who paid for it? You and I through increased bills for our service and/or tax deductions for the hospital took for providing the service. If he lived and was homeless who paid? If he lived and just paid $10 a month forever like used to happen, who paid?

My theory is we have always paid for those who could not pay. Since modern medicine became a thing anyway.

In 1974 or 1977 if a man showed up at a hospital having a heart attack they tried to help him. They really could not just throw him on the street and let him die.

If he died and had no estate, no insurance, who paid for it? You and I through increased bills for our service and/or tax deductions for the hospital took for providing the service. If he lived and was homeless who paid? If he lived and just paid $10 a month forever like used to happen, who paid?

Hmmm.... not seeing how you've been forced to do anything. Were you forced to buy insurance?

What you're describing is just people, voluntarily and collaboratively, taking care of each other. If it pisses you off that your doctor treats poor people for free, don't patronize that doctor. Find one who's just as selfish as you are. You have that right.

Do you think there are freeloaders on our healthcare system? Ppl who don't have insurance who still get treated?

The irony is obvious: the conservatives demand personal responsibility and reject the requirement that every adult buy health insurance.
That seems to be a bit of a false equivalency. See personal responsibility is a concept where each and every PERSON takes responsibility for themselves. A government MANDATE removes the choice, and therefore the PERSONAL part, and replaces it with the state. So the equivalency here is personal responsibility vs. state responsibility. That is why many conservatives have a problem with government mandates, it's a requirement versus a choice.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Hmmm.... not seeing how you've been forced to do anything. Were you forced to buy insurance?

What you're describing is just people, voluntarily and collaboratively, taking care of each other. If it pisses you off that your doctor treats poor people for free, don't patronize that doctor. Find one who's just as selfish as you are. You have that right.

I think all hospitals essentially treat ppl having heart attacks who walk through the door w/o collecting first, am I correct?

The irony is obvious: the conservatives demand personal responsibility and reject the requirement that every adult buy health insurance.
That seems to be a bit of a false equivalency. See personal responsibility is a concept where each and every PERSON takes responsibility for themselves. A government MANDATE removes the choice, and therefore the PERSONAL part, and replaces it with the state. So the equivalency here is personal responsibility vs. state responsibility. That is why many conservatives have a problem with government mandates, it's a requirement versus a choice.

Hope this clears things up for you.

It does not clear up anything, for me or others. It is a spin which won't turn, and I'll explain why.

Every person, from birth to death will need health care. Scofflaws are not responsible, and choose to use public hospital ER's; which create greater costs for those of us who are responsible for our own health, and pay for medical care needed now or later. We are in effect paying for their care.

I think all hospitals essentially treat ppl having heart attacks who walk through the door w/o collecting first, am I correct?

That's true, and once the victim of a heart attack is stable, and not covered by insurance, the private hospitals either discharge the patient, or transport them to the front door of a public hospital for follow up care which is paid for by the taxpaying public.

Forum List

Back