Think College Costs Are Too High and Government Should Help Students?

There is a reason why these online university degrees get no respect in the academic world. No one learns or retains a damn thing from computer based instruction. My daughter went the online route to stay home and take care of my granddaughter. She got a degree in criminal justice. When she applied to jobs requiring that degree, she never got a response. The general consensus was that no one in the right mind would hire someone with an online degree because they had no practical experience. On other words, they laugh at those degrees!

Another example is teachers who get their master's in educational leadership online in order to become administrators. If you find yourself working for an asshole or dumb ass, it is always easy to trace to the fact they have a degree they received online. I worked for one vice principal and with another assistant principal who qualified on both counts. They were complete wastes of good oxygen and sterling examples of the Peter Principle.
Time for this to change.

Good luck with that! Despite all of the support from people like you, it simply is a fact that people learn better from people instead of computers.
You are still learning from people when online. Online lectures from a qualified professor is done and readily possible for all college courses. Many college courses have dozens to hundreds of students listening to a lecture. These students often NEVER speak face to face with the prof. At any rate with Skype and Facetime, face to face instruction can be had over the internet in real time.
Those kids often go to office hours to speak to the professors. Online learning is only good for a very small percentage of people. Kids don't have enough discipline to always listen to every lecture online or do the home work that is needed to reinforce the concepts.
That is a generalization.
Not a generalization. A very small number of kids are able to do as well online. I'm sure there are kids who do have enough discipline but not a lot.

There is a reason why these online university degrees get no respect in the academic world. No one learns or retains a damn thing from computer based instruction. My daughter went the online route to stay home and take care of my granddaughter. She got a degree in criminal justice. When she applied to jobs requiring that degree, she never got a response. The general consensus was that no one in the right mind would hire someone with an online degree because they had no practical experience. On other words, they laugh at those degrees!

Another example is teachers who get their master's in educational leadership online in order to become administrators. If you find yourself working for an asshole or dumb ass, it is always easy to trace to the fact they have a degree they received online. I worked for one vice principal and with another assistant principal who qualified on both counts. They were complete wastes of good oxygen and sterling examples of the Peter Principle.
Time for this to change.

Good luck with that! Despite all of the support from people like you, it simply is a fact that people learn better from people instead of computers.
You are still learning from people when online. Online lectures from a qualified professor is done and readily possible for all college courses. Many college courses have dozens to hundreds of students listening to a lecture. These students often NEVER speak face to face with the prof. At any rate with Skype and Facetime, face to face instruction can be had over the internet in real time.
Those kids often go to office hours to speak to the professors. Online learning is only good for a very small percentage of people. Kids don't have enough discipline to always listen to every lecture online or do the home work that is needed to reinforce the concepts.

If you do not have the discipline ....you do not pass
That is the way it works
There are pretty smart people who do not need the discipline and they pass because all they need is to be forced to go to classes. They seem to learn it through osmosis. But most kids rather keep up with the Kardashians or video games than learning.

Total waste of money for most of the students. Get them to become skilled tradespersons. Electricians, Welders, Carpenters, Truck Drivers, Plumbers etc.

Just what we need....millions of Electricians, Welders, Carpenters, Truck Drivers, Plumbers flooding the employment market
I think there is a shortage of electricians, Truck drivers and especially plumbers. It's because kids who should of gone to those professions are pushed to go to colleges.

Actually, the reason there is a shortage is because those fields are difficult and not any slob off the street can do them
Agreed, but there are kids who go to college when they should have gone to be an electrician. Being an electrician is not easy but you don't have to sit in class all day and do homework past midnight.

Time for this to change.

That is the way it works
There are pretty smart people who do not need the discipline and they pass because all they need is to be forced to go to classes. They seem to learn it through osmosis. But most kids rather keep up with the Kardashians or video games than learning.
No one is FORCED to go to class, when in college.

Don't be silly.

That is the way it works
We are debating college education, not grade school. Those in disagreement seem to think we are promoting online instruction for grade school.

When one is in college, they better focus and be committed. If they aren't, they get weeded out quickly either with online instruction or on-campus instruction.

Time for college education to get with the 21st century.

I don't know what you are talking about, but you definitely did not read my posts. Graduates of online schools do not learn as well as those who attend actual classes. They do not retain the information and come across as lacking in knowledge in the work place. Their performance is subpar.

It's very similar to those tech schools, such as Devry, ITT Tech, etc. that separate you from your hard earned cash and give you a nice piece of paper to hang on your wall. Then when you go to find a job, they hire you at the same pay rate as a high school graduate because you really don't know much more than they do.

As I said, when someone tells me they graduated from schools like the University of Phoenix I have to actually struggle to keep a straight face because I see the word "SUCKER!" in bright red letters across their forehead!
BS stated by a teacher.

Don't you think you are a little bit biased, or are you that dumb?
I would like to see online students work so hard on their assignments that they only get 4 hours or less of sleep every night. Lots of students study together and work on group projects. I'm not a professor by the way but I know them. If a student is struggling they actually ask the student to come in and figure out the best way that student learns. Some students need a lot of support. But you are right that some administration people do make to much for what they do.

That is the way it works
We are debating college education, not grade school. Those in disagreement seem to think we are promoting online instruction for grade school.

When one is in college, they better focus and be committed. If they aren't, they get weeded out quickly either with online instruction or on-campus instruction.

I don't know what you are talking about, but you definitely did not read my posts. Graduates of online schools do not learn as well as those who attend actual classes. They do not retain the information and come across as lacking in knowledge in the work place. Their performance is subpar.

It's very similar to those tech schools, such as Devry, ITT Tech, etc. that separate you from your hard earned cash and give you a nice piece of paper to hang on your wall. Then when you go to find a job, they hire you at the same pay rate as a high school graduate because you really don't know much more than they do.

As I said, when someone tells me they graduated from schools like the University of Phoenix I have to actually struggle to keep a straight face because I see the word "SUCKER!" in bright red letters across their forehead!
BS stated by a teacher.

I would like to see online students work so hard on their assignments that they only get 4 hours or less of sleep every night. Lots of students study together and work on group projects. I'm not a professor by the way but I know them. If a student is struggling they actually ask the student to come in and figure out the best way that student learns. Some students need a lot of support. But you are right that some administration people do make to much for what they do.
None of that is precluded in an online education. Meeting your professor or teaching assistants can be done online via Skype, FaceTime or other technology.

That is the way it works

Don't be silly.
Yes, they are. If you don't show up then your financial aid is taken away. You then have to pay for it out of pocket or get kicked out. Now if your parents are paying 100percent of your tuition then your right. The student is not forced to go to classes.

That is the way it works

Don't be silly.
Yes, they are. If you don't show up then your financial aid is taken away. You then have to pay for it out of pocket or get kicked out. Now if your parents are paying 100percent of your tuition then your right. The student is not forced to go to classes.
Good Lord...why are you arguing nonsense? Just change it. It is that simple.

Time to get education into the 21st century.

That is the way it works

BS stated by a teacher.

None of that is precluded in an online education. Meeting your professor or teaching assistants can be done online via Skype, FaceTime or other technology.
It's not the same. Again, I would like to see online students care as much or do as much work. I'm not saying it is impossible. It's a little like a basket ball game. Your playing against a better team but you are in your home court so you get that extra boost from fans to win any way. Same thing with in person education you get the extra something. People rally for you and after a hard PE Chem exam everyone is high fiving each other that they passed. It's the thrill of everyone tutoring everyone to pass the exam. There are sweat and tears I tell you. You get to bound with one another and teach each other the parts that you/they didn't quite get.

I know I can't change your mind but there are reasons that online is not preferred.

Another problem with online education is technology failures. A construction company cuts a fiber optic line and you may be down for days. Software glitches are another big problem. If you can't finish the test until 10 minutes before it is due, you're stuck!

We did online testing for a state assessment a few years back. It crashed the entire state's school network for two days straight. We had to do paper and pencil testing a week later.

Forum List

Back