Think a detail will take this out?

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
I just noticed these 'scratches' on my truck while leaving from work today. It could have happened at so many places but I know it wasn't me as I would have remembered rubbing against or hitting something.

This sucks. Between my dog pissing on the carpet (and thus my deposit of $3200) and now this kind of shit on a leased truck.

Anyone care to make donations? :)

Attachments

• $tr1.jpg
    $tr1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 65
  • $tr2.jpg
    $tr2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 58
jimnyc said:
I just noticed these 'scratches' on my truck while leaving from work today. It could have happened at so many places but I know it wasn't me as I would have remembered rubbing against or hitting something.

This sucks. Between my dog pissing on the carpet (and thus my deposit of $3200) and now this kind of shit on a leased truck.

Anyone care to make donations? :)

Those types of scratches come from somebody turning and scraping your bumper when trying to get out of a parking space but cutting it too closely. You will have to just be happy that they too have to repair their vehicle. I don't know if detailers can get that out, how much is it for the bumper?

Are they scratches? It looks more like the offender left paint on your truck, you may be able to buff them off!

no1tovote4 said:
Those types of scratches come from somebody turning and scraping your bumper when trying to get out of a parking space but cutting it too closely. You will have to just be happy that they too have to repair their vehicle. I don't know if detailers can get that out, how much is it for the bumper?

This obviously happened after I moved into my new place, which has a 3 story parking garage with tight spaces and tight maneuvering. I always back in as well leaving the nose exposed.

A good detail will run around $175 for my truck (which it needs anyhow) and I'm sure a repair at a body shop will be between $300-500. I'd have to get an estimate to know for sure.

It just burns me up when I lose money over stupid shit like this. I do well enough on my own making it disappear!

no1tovote4 said:
Are they scratches? It looks more like the offender left paint on your truck, you may be able to buff them off!

Unfortunately, they're definitely scratches, and one portion is fairly deep. The more I think about it the more I know this will be a body shop job. :(

I just had some work done on similar scratches to my bumper and it cost me $350. Now, I also had a tear in the bumper which had to be fixed. Just fixing the "rub" marks and scratches would have cost $200.

Is this your first lease? I know when I turned in my GMC Denali I had a LOT of little scratches, rubs and even a busted ashtray in the back seat and I brought it in on the last day possible, dropped it off with a salesman (who barely looked over the vehicle) after he signed a slip accepting the vehicle and I hauled ass. I figured if they tried keeping my deposit I would feign ignorance and tell them, "it wasn't like that when I dropped it off. If it were, it would have been annotated on the ruturn slip". Needless to say, I never received a call anyway. I have a lease coming due on the Benz next month and I am a bit more worried about it though. I suspect Mercedes is a bit more strict than GMC was.... but who knows.

Good luck!

jimnyc said:
Unfortunately, they're definitely scratches, and one portion is fairly deep. The more I think about it the more I know this will be a body shop job. :(
I'm tell'n ya Jimmy, you will be surprised at how well they can fix these plastic/rubber bumpers these days without it becoming a hassle. Look and see if you can find a franchise in your area that specializes in this kind of stuff. There are a lot of them out there these days

looking at the damage, that's actually more than just scratches. that looks like it went to the primer and maybe even the bumper base. I would look around the garage for someone else who has damage on their vehicle before you move ahead to pay for it out of your pocket. if you find a vehicle in your parking garage with marks similar to yours, get the plate # and take it to the main office if you have one. They can identify the person, and then you should contact your insurance co and make a claim, and they will find out which insurance the other guy has to subrogate.

this may sound like a lot of work for something that could cost less than $500, but a 'hit and run' charge will cost the culprit even more.

my co-worker's car got hit in our parking lot (she is an insurance adjuster no less), and the guy who hit it, didn't leave any info. 6 of us walked around the parking ramp the next day looking for a teal car with white rub marks and dents...low and behold-the retard came to work the next day and parked on the bottom level(our ramp is only 2 levels), way far in a corner with the damage facing the wall, probably thinking no one would take the time to look for his car.

the guy got a citation for a hit and run, as well as expired tabs! he caused about $1000 damage.

Forum List

Back