Things to Mention to Your Doctor

speederdoc said:
It probably isn't. :flameth:

Is that arrogant enough for you?
(just kidding)

You mentioned a 25 minute wait. If that is intolerable to you, your expectations are too high. No doctor is going to be able to consistently eliminate that. Sorry.

My time is...I've walked out after an hour..Sorry, I understand shit happens, and sometime you have to wait a bit, but NOT ALL THE TIME. Now, Doc..you're different, ER and all..The problem is in the private practice office.
It doesn't take a brain surgeon to schedule properly. :D

An hour is too long to wait, I would agree. And a good percentage of the time, there should be minimal wait imo, 5 minutes or less. But I would never get upset over 25 minutes, especially with only a ten minute visit. You are out the door in 45 minutes or less, how can anybody complain about that? You can be back to work in an hour.

Sheesh.

speederdoc said:
An hour is too long to wait, I would agree. And a good percentage of the time, there should be minimal wait imo, 5 minutes or less. But I would never get upset over 25 minutes, especially with only a ten minute visit. You are out the door in 45 minutes or less, how can anybody complain about that? You can be back to work in an hour.

Sheesh.

Probably most people get upset because they are sick(obviosly) and grumpy and just want to get in and out and go home. I have to admit,my son's pediatric visits go a lot quicker than mine...how,I have no idea. At my doctor,you never know what to expect. Sometimes your in and out and others you sit for half an hour or more before getting called to the room. I know my doc's office sees a lot of elderly patients though,which I attribute to the wait. Not their fault,they just move a lot slower!!

Sir Evil said:
I looked at the appointment book at my doctors office and they schedule an appointment for every ten minutes when it's not possible, seems to be about the money at my office!

I beleive mine schedules every 15 minutes. Since the average time actually spent with the doc is usually about 5 minutes tops,you would think when all get into our appointments early!!!

krisy said:
Probably most people get upset because they are sick(obviosly) and grumpy and just want to get in and out and go home. I have to admit,my son's pediatric visits go a lot quicker than mine...how,I have no idea. At my doctor,you never know what to expect. Sometimes your in and out and others you sit for half an hour or more before getting called to the room. I know my doc's office sees a lot of elderly patients though,which I attribute to the wait. Not their fault,they just move a lot slower!!
Kids are easy. They rarely have an illness that is life threatening, usually they are just getting a check-up, or if ill, it's usually just a virus. They don't talk much, and are smaller and easier to examine. Makes for a quick visit.

Elderly are the time-killers. They tend to talk a lot, they usually have more complex medical problems and more medications to go over. Any complaint they have has to be investigated, because they are more likely to die at any time anyway. If it happens to be soon after your visit, you want to have addressed their complaints to protect against a lawsuit. Their stomach ache could be pneumonia or a heart attack, their dizziness could be any of 50 different things which could be serious...old and dizzy is a time-killer for sure.

This is the hard part about treating the elderly. And one talkative, "difficult," complex, or seriously ill patient can really mess up a schedule.

speederdoc said:
Kids are easy. They rarely have an illness that is life threatening, usually they are just getting a check-up, or if ill, it's usually just a virus. They don't talk much, and are smaller and easier to examine. Makes for a quick visit.

Elderly are the time-killers. They tend to talk a lot, they usually have more complex medical problems and more medications to go over. Any complaint they have has to be investigated, because they are more likely to die at any time anyway. If it happens to be soon after your visit, you want to have addressed their complaints to protect against a lawsuit. Their stomach ache could be pneumonia or a heart attack, their dizziness could be any of 50 different things which could be serious...old and dizzy is a time-killer for sure.

This is the hard part about treating the elderly. And one talkative, "difficult," complex, or seriously ill patient can really mess up a schedule.

Makes sense. I figured as much. Every time I go to the doctor,I am usually the youngest by far in the waiting room. I do see other young people occasionally,but I am usually the youngest. It is also a very big practice!

Sir Evil said:
I looked at the appointment book at my doctors office and they schedule an appointment for every ten minutes when it's not possible, seems to be about the money at my office!
At a doctors office my mom worked for, they would schedule two people at the same time, alot. And most times people were waiting, it was because the doc would be in his office reading his book or snacking while doing crossword puzzles. I'm sure he's not the only one who does this too.

UsaPride said:
At a doctors office my mom worked for, they would schedule two people at the same time, alot. And most times people were waiting, it was because the doc would be in his office reading his book or snacking while doing crossword puzzles. I'm sure he's not the only one who does this too.
Ummm, yeah, probably reading a medical book to help figure out how to help his patient better. I do it all the time. AND I make sure I get at least one snack per shift, even if it takes five minutes. :cof:

No time for puzzles though.

speederdoc said:
Ummm, yeah, probably reading a medical book to help figure out how to help his patient better.
Umm, no, reading the many novels he brought it to read.
I worked there for awhile too and there was many occasions I had to go get him off his ass because we were way behind and patients were getting pissed!
AND I make sure I get at least one snack per shift, even if it takes five minutes.
As to his one per patient.

I'm not downing all doctors. I'm just saying, this doctor was the prime example for why people hate going to the doctors office. And I'm sure he's not the only one like this.

He was a nice man and a good doctor, in general. I guess he just thought his time was more precious then the people who were paying for his boat.

Well for all the rotten doctors, (as is in any profession) there are those that are worth their weight in platinum. I've had a couple of those in my life. One in particular...but he has changed. He's been at it a l-o-n-g time. He's probably tired. But I don't care for him anymore, and that hurts me. I really liked him.

Forum List

Back