Things the government runs well

actsnoblemartin

I love Andrea & April
Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, CA
Our schools

John Stossel's 'Stupid in America' - ABC News

Stupid in America" is a nasty title for a program about public education, but some nasty things are going on in America's public schools and it's about time we face up to it.

Kids at New York's Abraham Lincoln High School told me their teachers are so dull students fall asleep in class. One student said, "You see kids all the time walking in the school smoking weed, you know. It's a normal thing here."

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=4732319&page=1

Failing Reports on U.S. Schools
Studies Find Some Good Results but Not Nearly Enough After 25 Years

Two recent reports on high school seniors unveil disturbing results.

A study this week from Strong American Schools reports that 40 percent of seniors still do not understand the math they were taught in the eigth grade. And an earlier study from Common Core found that nearly a quarter cannot identify Adolph Hitler, more than half cannot place the American Civil War in the right century, and a third do not know that the Bill of Rights guarantees free speech.

Our Veterans

VA hospital may have infected 1,800 veterans with HIV - CNN

A Missouri VA hospital is under fire because it may have exposed more than 1,800 veterans to life-threatening diseases such as hepatitis and HIV.

http://www.publicintegrity.org/investigations/broken_government/articles/entry/1041/

Veterans enrolled in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) health care programs have long complained of receiving inadequate treatment at poorly funded facilities. According to a 2003 Government Accountability Office (GAO) report, veterans were forced to travel long distances to receive care — about 25 percent of the vets lived more than a 60-minute drive from a VA hospital. They also had to endure long waits for appointments,

Our soon to be government run obama (doesnt care about you health) healthcare

Massachusetts Miracle or Massachusetts Miserable: What the Failure of the "Massachusetts Model" Tells Us about Health Care Reform | Michael D. Tanner | Cato Institute: Briefing Paper

When Massachusetts passed its pioneering health care reforms in 2006, critics warned that they would result in a slow but steady spiral downward toward a government-run health care system. Three years later, those predictions appear to be coming true:

* Although the state has reduced the number of residents without health insurance, 200,000 people remain uninsured. Moreover, the increase in the number of insured is primarily due to the state's generous subsidies, not the celebrated individual mandate.
* Health care costs continue to rise much faster than the national average. Since 2006, total state health care spending has increased by 28 percent. Insurance premiums have increased by 8–10 percent per year, nearly double the national average.

In Britain:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...e-failings-Stafford-Third-World-hospital.html

There can be "no excuses" for what happened to patients at Stafford Hospital, the Prime Minister said today as he apologised to families caught up in the scandal.

Gordon Brown promised relatives they would be entitled to an independent review of case notes and said standards "fell far short" of what people could expect from the NHS.

A damning report form the Healthcare Commission yesterday detailed a catalogue of failings at Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust, which runs Stafford and Cannock Chase hospitals.

Dehydrated patients were forced to drink out of flower vases, while others were left in soiled linen on filthy wards.

Last edited:
Well, there are a few things the government runs -- not well, but nonetheless, better than any private enterprise could.

* National defense

* Law enforcement

* Food safety

* Drug safety

* Vital records

* Transportation, meaning roads, bridges, rails, air traffic

* Banking and currency

I'm stuck now. I'm sure there are more, but I cannot conjure them up ATM.

Well, there are a few things the government runs -- not well, but nonetheless, better than any private enterprise could.

* National defense

* Law enforcement

* Food safety

* Drug safety

* Vital records

* Banking and currency

Hahahahahaha. Send me some of that !
@ 911
@ Don't taze me Nazi.
@ Salmonella much ?
@ Oooops.He died
@ :confused:
@[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD20rCe_UAw&has_verified=1[/ame]
@ Too big to fail

Last edited:
Schools: The result of a power imbalance resulting from growing union strength and parents that don't give a shit. The latter half of the equation os a direct result of the moral and cultural degeneration of our society.

VA: You mentioned funding. I'm shocked. Really.

Currency is one of the few things gov't has done right. That and railroad gauge.
But I have to express admiration for the government's ability to run a deficit. If I tried that I'd be in jail.

And yet 90% of us on this board are products of those gubmint run schools

The problem is, was, and always will be maintaining what you build. The US Interestate system is one of the greatest infrastructure projects in the world. The fact it's falling apart now isn't an indictment of how it was built, but of how it was maintained.

One party builds something really amazing, and the next times parties change, priorities change. What should be the pride of the USA falls into disrepair through sheer neglect. Both sides are guilty of this. Politicians win and maintain power by building new shiny objects, not by maintaining old scuffed up ones.

* National defense Constitutional mandate

* Law enforcement 9/11 ring a bell

* Food safety It's been weeks since the last food recall.

* Drug safety It's been weeks since the last drug recall.

* Vital records What do you mean here?

* Transportation, meaning roads, bridges, rails, air traffic All done by the states

* Banking and currency You must be kidding here.

The only thing the Fed is allowed to run is the DoD. Everything else is unconstitutional.

But this is actually about obama care, and how the fed can run it.

Medicare is it's comparison. I shouldn't have to explain, so I will give a personnal insight.

I worked as a CSR for an ins co that did Med part D supplement. There were aroun 200 of us, and on average we each got a call where the member would tell us that they were not dead.

Read that again

Medicare, w/o any documentation, declared these people dead and cancled thier insurance. Imagine being on life saving meds and now you can't get it. Imagine getting hurt or falling sick and not being able to pay for it.

And all b/c the government made another mistake. FYI It takes 3 months for them to fix it.

The total number of people that get medical aid from the Fed is 98 million. That's medicare/caid, chips, etc.

Do you really think they can handle another 50 million? or all of us?

Oh this is one of those threads that purport to show how Government cant run anything because it isnt perfect.

911 happened that means our National Defense SUCKS
Some Veterans had problems so that means our Hospitals SUCK

If that is the case, either everyone here is perfect or they really hate their imperfect lives and therefore their lives should be scrapped

Oh this is one of those threads that purport to show how Government cant run anything because it isnt perfect.

911 happened that means our National Defense SUCKS
Some Veterans had problems so that means our Hospitals SUCK

If that is the case, either everyone here is perfect or they really hate their imperfect lives and therefore their lives should be scrapped

That's a strawman argument.

Our defense doesn't suck. But no one is going to argue it is run efficiently or cost-effectively.
Our hospitals in the VA system suck, not because of some isolated incident but because VA hospitals regularly have issues delivering quality care at reasonable prices to patients.

* National defense

* Law enforcement

* Food safety

* Drug safety

* Vital records

* Banking and currency

All this is the government standing over private people making sure they don't cheat. Or things that are monopoly in character.

Private tollways are better run. But in the US, there are very few of them.

Banking is private. The government parts of it have been a disaster. (The fed has as a general rule caused the problems it was supposed to fix to get a lot worse, and they have run off the reservation and have run policy which is outside the purview of the enabling legislation.) Freddie and Fannie and the Fed badly need regulating, as they are the most problematic parts of the banking system.

Governments do Armies and Police forces of various kinds ( and the FDA is a sort of police force) and they enforce standards (The government goes to grocery stores and to gas stations making sure the scales are right) And Courts are required to make sure Government does its job, and courts are nominally independent of the government.

Forum List

Back