Thieving Bastards

Somehow I missed this post earlier. Yeah, losing my camping gear is probably the worst part of the whole ordeal. Aside from the normal camping stuff, I probably had $500+ in fishing tackle. The rods and reels are in the house, so I didn't lose them.

Somehow...it's not even the dollars...but the fact that it was a collection of stuff you needed and used for something fun...it became personal...you can replace a car..but all the gear...it takes time to assemble and perfect....

For the first time ever I had my car broken into this summer. I never locked it (it is old, worn, kind of trashy...no one would want it and due to some idiosyncracies it's damn hard to lock up) - all they stole was one of my dog crates. Not worth much but damn...I needed it and it seemed so personal to take it.

Of course now I lock the damn thing.

That's exactly it. Thanks for depressing me, and I thought you were my friend.

err...umh...well...what are friends for?:redface:

I know how to cheer you up...a puppy!!!!!!!

I just got notice of a litter of 5 aussie pups at one of our local shelters...that's just what you need! Once they've dug up your carpeting...peed on your hardwood floors and chewed every object of value within reach why, you'll forget all about the theft....:tongue:

Somehow...it's not even the dollars...but the fact that it was a collection of stuff you needed and used for something fun...it became personal...you can replace a car..but all the gear...it takes time to assemble and perfect....

For the first time ever I had my car broken into this summer. I never locked it (it is old, worn, kind of trashy...no one would want it and due to some idiosyncracies it's damn hard to lock up) - all they stole was one of my dog crates. Not worth much but damn...I needed it and it seemed so personal to take it.

Of course now I lock the damn thing.

I just got notice of a litter of 5 aussie pups at one of our local shelters...that's just what you need! Once they've dug up your carpeting...peed on your hardwood floors and chewed every object of value within reach why, you'll forget all about the theft....:tongue:

If I take all five, does that mean I am a rancher?

Um... noooo....I believe the appropriate noun might be...."lunatic" :eusa_angel:

Um... noooo....I believe the appropriate noun might be...."lunatic" :eusa_angel:

I already told Dis earlier in the thread, I don't want a dog.

How old was the camping gear?

Been gathering it for 20 + years. Some of it was that old, some of it was less than a year. Some of the fishing gear was older.

That completely blows. Well, if it's any consolation, decent normal camping gear has come down in price thanks to the ultra-ultra-ultralight crowd. So if you do end up declaring it with homeowners or whatever, you may end up with better stuff than you had before for whatever you get for the stolen stuff. Hopefully, anyway. Also, don't know if there's an REI near you, but we got the membership there a couple years ago and it has more than paid for itself.

Sorry, wish I had something more helpful than that and sympathy. Lots of sympathy. The two "things" that I would hate having stolen most are my computer and my camping gear.

The police found my car today.

It was at a college campus across the state line (about 25 miles away).
It had been left in a handicapped parking place. The police impounded it after it sat over 24 hours with a ticket on it, and discovered it was a stolen car.
They said it didn't appear to have any damage to it, and they said there was a lot of camping gear in it.

I get to pick it up tomorrow morning.

Forum List

Back