They're Palestinians, not 'Israeli Arabs'

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Israel always called the Palestinians "Israeli Arabs" in their attempt to erase Palestinians from history.
--------------
But what's at stake here is not merely rhetoric but a form of historical distortion that makes it all but impossible for readers to fully grasp the nature of the conflict.

Palestinian artists and intellectuals as well as the most important institutions of Palestinian civil society inside Israel, including the human rights organization Adalah and the Mada al-Carmel research center, use the term "Palestinians" to identify and affiliate themselves and to assert their indissoluble connection to the rest of the Palestinian people.

They apos re Palestinians not apos Israeli Arabs apos - LA Times

Israel always called the Palestinians "Israeli Arabs" in their attempt to erase Palestinians from history.
--------------
But what's at stake here is not merely rhetoric but a form of historical distortion that makes it all but impossible for readers to fully grasp the nature of the conflict.

Palestinian artists and intellectuals as well as the most important institutions of Palestinian civil society inside Israel, including the human rights organization Adalah and the Mada al-Carmel research center, use the term "Palestinians" to identify and affiliate themselves and to assert their indissoluble connection to the rest of the Palestinian people.

Palestinians are not Arabs? What are they if Jordanians are Arabs and Egypyians are Arabs and Saudis are Arabs. They cant be Europeans or South Americans. Or can they?

well , see if this reasoning makes any sense 'PF'. Me , I'm an American no matter what my ethnic background is . Why wouldn't that kinda reasoning apply to Arabs that live in Israel ?? Do the Europeans that built Isreal refer to themselves as European Israelis ?? Then again , I'm pretty sure that if a person in Israel wants to call themselves a 'palistinian israeli' then can can call himself that or anything else .

well , see if this reasoning makes any sense 'PF'. Me , I'm an American no matter what my ethnic background is . Why wouldn't that kinda reasoning apply to Arabs that live in Israel ?? Do the Europeans that built Isreal refer to themselves as European Israelis ?? Then again , I'm pretty sure that if a person in Israel wants to call themselves a 'palistinian israeli' then can can call himself that or anything else .
If people were citizens of Palestine before Israel, why would they not be called Palestinians?

well , like I tell everyone no matter where my family came from , I am American . Same applies to native , Indian , European , African , white , black , red , arab , yellow whatever it is as its just a way of dividing Americans . Same reasoning would apply in Israel as far as I am concerned 'PF' !!

well , like I tell everyone no matter where my family came from , I am American . Same applies to native , Indian , European , African , white , black , red , arab , yellow whatever it is as its just a way of dividing Americans . Same reasoning would apply in Israel as far as I am concerned 'PF' !!
They are natives and Palestinians.

Interesting twist, no?

if I was in Israel I'd just raise my kids to Know that they are Israelis . Course , I'd tell them about their past but my emphasis would be on them being an Israeli 'PF' !!

If people were citizens of Palestine before Israel, why would they not be called Palestinians?

Where was this "Palestine" you speak of?

Moron, there was no Nation of Palestine for them to be a citizen of. Tinhead, you only dig deeper when you post stupid stuff like that.

--------------

How does calling them Arabs relate to trying to erase Palestinian history ?

If they are citizens of Israel, then calling them Israeli Palestinians would sound odd, as both are nationalities. Israeli Arab, Israeli, Jew, Israeli Christian. Doesn't really matter, they are Israeli

--------------

How does calling them Arabs relate to trying to erase Palestinian history ?

If they are citizens of Israel, then calling them Israeli Palestinians would sound odd, as both are nationalities. Israeli Arab, Israeli, Jew, Israeli Christian. Doesn't really matter, they are Israeli
They were Palestinian citizens when they became Israelis. Actually "Israeli" is not a national identity.

In fact, to use the ethnic term "Arab" to describe the Palestinians inside Israel is to strip them of any national identity — not only the national identity that they themselves assert, but quite literally any national identity whatsoever, given that, according to a 2013 ruling of the Israeli Supreme Court, "Israeli" is not a national identity.

Would an American from Haiti be an "African American?"

What were native Americans called before it was America?

Just as Palestinians existed as a people before the dismemberment of their homeland, they continue to exist as a people afterward. To refer to some Palestinians as Palestinian and others merely as deracinated "Arabs" is to doubt or negate their claim to a national existence as a people both historically and in the present.​

Arab nationalists in Palestine always believed in the oneness of Syria and Palestine, hence their leading spokesman, George Antonius in 1937: ". . . Palestine has always been an integral part of Syria and that what was common to Syria is common to Palestine. There are dialectical differences, certain small differences of customs, local differences, but on the whole the differences are trivial. . . ."

--------------

If they are Palestinians then they have no right to be Israeli citizens and should move out willingly or be deported. They cant follow two masters and need to decide very quickly which one they will be subservient to. Otherwise they are what you and the rest of team Palestine despise they are DUALLIES, which when it comes to Jews is a bad thing and they should be forced to go and live in Israel

Then that means they migrated there after 1988, as there was no Palestinian nation before that date.

If the class themselves as Palestinians then they are illegal immigrants and as such can be deported under current Israeli laws.

--------------

If they are Palestinians then they have no right to be Israeli citizens and should move out willingly or be deported. They cant follow two masters and need to decide very quickly which one they will be subservient to. Otherwise they are what you and the rest of team Palestine despise they are DUALLIES, which when it comes to Jews is a bad thing and they should be forced to go and live in Israel
They are living in their homeland.

They are natives and Palestinians.

Interesting twist, no?

NO as Palestine the nation and nationality did not exist until 1988.

Before that they were Mandate for Palestine citizens under the protection of Great Britain.

Forum List

Back