They Still Ban Books in Indiana

Yet they haven't banned the internet, MTV, VH1, Video Games, etc. to protect the children from themselves! :cuckoo:

School Bans Book After Complaints About Profanity - Education News Story - WRTV Indianapolis
That is beyond a shame. Life is not always pretty, like a PG movie about mermaids, for example. High school is a good time for some of the more sheltered students to break into real life.

Jeeze, at least before college age. They are not babies. Treat them as adults and they may just start adopting adult-like qualities.

They banned it in schools.

So, I'm curious, mo chara.... what US schools provide MTV, VH1 and video games to students?

Yet they haven't banned the internet, MTV, VH1, Video Games, etc. to protect the children from themselves! :cuckoo:

School Bans Book After Complaints About Profanity - Education News Story - WRTV Indianapolis
That is beyond a shame. Life is not always pretty, like a PG movie about mermaids, for example. High school is a good time for some of the more sheltered students to break into real life.

Jeeze, at least before college age. They are not babies. Treat them as adults and they may just start adopting adult-like qualities.

And do these "Book Burners" think High School kids haven't heard profanity?

Please. :rolleyes:

They are closing a bunch of libraries here too, I guess the message is 'reading is bad'? :doubt:

They are closing a bunch of libraries here too, I guess the message is 'reading is bad'? :doubt:
Right. They have heard profanity, for sure. They are tossing out an account of the Vietnam war from the trenches, because of profanity. That's pretty amazing.

I imagine the libraries closing is more due to budgets. States, counties, and municipalities are struggling and they don't have the ability to borrow from China to keep their governments solvent.

So, now they're burning books? Or is that just poetic licence? While I fundamentally disagree with banning or burning books, your examples were nonsensical since MTV, HV1 and video games are not provided for educational purposes by schools to students.

Also, libraries close because of budgets, not because anyone wants to stop others from reading. You have heard, I assume, that the US and most states are running 'slightly large' budget deficit?

So, now they're burning books? Or is that just poetic licence? While I fundamentally disagree with banning or burning books, your examples were nonsensical since MTV, HV1 and video games are not provided for educational purposes by schools to students.

Also, libraries close because of budgets, not because anyone wants to stop others from reading. You have heard, I assume, that the US and most states are running 'slightly large' budget deficit?

I think the the priorities should be in other places than book banning and closing libraries, yet our taxes fund the new Lucus Oil Stadium.

And yes, poetic license on a message board, who would have thought of that? :cool:

Are they burning books? Really?
So why should our schools institutionalize and normalize profanity, when they are so often failing to do their real job, to educate ALL our children? They should put more effort in that aspect of education.

Our own public library buildings (in Bloomington/Monroe County Indiana) have grown into monstrosities, being one of the largest county budget items. It's mostly about the physical building and expanding staff, and extraneous services like Community Access TV to promote citizens making politically controversial videos for public transmission.
I much preferred the old Carnegie library building which seemed to have more useful books, and a much better use of space. I can see why school boards and tax dogs see a reason to provide some prudence and guidance where it is needed

I think the the priorities should be in other places than book banning and closing libraries, yet our taxes fund the new Lucus Oil Stadium.

And yes, poetic license on a message board, who would have thought of that? :cool:

it is not lucus.

I see no evidence of Book Burning....nor can we tell which way these parents voted in the last election. It's highly likely they voted for Obama. We can't tell.

I see no evidence of Book Burning....nor can we tell which way these parents voted in the last election. It's highly likely they voted for Obama. We can't tell.

obama?

obama?

Oh...you're one of those people that believes that stereotypical nonsense that there are no Conservative Democrats.

So why should our schools institutionalize and normalize profanity, when they are so often failing to do their real job, to educate ALL our children? They should put more effort in that aspect of education.

Our own public library buildings (in Bloomington/Monroe County Indiana) have grown into monstrosities, being one of the largest county budget items. It's mostly about the physical building and expanding staff, and extraneous services like Community Access TV to promote citizens making politically controversial videos for public transmission.
I much preferred the old Carnegie library building which seemed to have more useful books, and a much better use of space. I can see why school boards and tax dogs see a reason to provide some prudence and guidance where it is needed
Excellent point! The new Fairfax library, for example, is clearly more interested in spending on looks (lovely building with much wasted space - more suited for a country club hosting cotillions, really) than on books. I go to the library for information and my nose is in a book or other sort of medium. The rest is useless fluff and a colossal waste of money.

Last edited:

Excellent point! The new Fairfax library, for example, is clearly more interested in spending on looks (lovely building with much wasted space - more suited for a country club hosting cotillions, really) than on books. I go to the library for information and my nose is in a book or other sort of medium. The rest is useless fluff and a colossal waste of money.

As you might imagine, I'm certainly no prude.

And I listen to a book on CD almost every week.

I've only been shocked by [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Haunted-Novel-Chuck-Palahniuk/dp/1400032822/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272639162&sr=1-1"]Haunted[/ame] and I hope I'm not advertising this bit of crap, but it serves as an example of a library book whose title, and cover would attract young readers, but whose subject matter is XXX.

I didn't burn (or destroy) the CD....although I did consider it.

Instead I simply spoke to the librarian about my concern, and, in typical beaurocratic fashion, was told that the book was fine because it didn't have a "Young Adult" sticker on the spine.

:eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back