They Hate Us/Wanna Kill Us and We Make Them Rich

The US all by itself is a vast market.

Anything left over they can sell elsewhere.

We don't, as of yet, have a "shrinking" energy resource. What we have is a government that refuses to allow the tap of those resources we know about (and keep finding all the time). This keeps them in control. It keeps people looking to them to find the answer and the entire notion is absurd.

I'm all for renewable energy resources. But the govt. is not going to invent them for us to take the place of fossil fuels. that is going to happen in the private sector, as per usual. In the meantime, if the government would get out of the way and allow businesses to expand the supply to meet the demand without the need for imports from the nutters in the middle east, we would be much better off.

Carter was a flunky of a president.

We have had a decreasing or shrinking supply because we ran out of cheap oil in 70's and the multi-national oil companies found it more profitable to buy cheap arab oil and sell it to Americans. The only reason we see a rebound in domestic production is because we are now mining and drilling for the not so cheap oil and gas reserves.

Alternant fuels was only a portion of his plan. Regardless of your opinion of the man, history has proved him to be correct in his assesement of our situation and where not solving it then would eventually lead us.

Here we are.

The US all by itself is a vast market.

Anything left over they can sell elsewhere.

that oil is drilled by and owned by private companies. are you saying that we should demand that they sell it here first and then they can do what they want with the rest?

Tonight I want to have an unpleasant talk with you about a problem unprecedented in our history. With the exception of preventing war, this is the greatest challenge our country will face during our lifetimes. The energy crisis has not yet overwhelmed us, but it will if we do not act quickly.

It is a problem we will not solve in the next few years, and it is likely to get progressively worse through the rest of this century.

We must not be selfish or timid if we hope to have a decent world for our children and grandchildren.

We simply must balance our demand for energy with our rapidly shrinking resources. By acting now, we can control our future instead of letting the future control us.

Two days from now, I will present my energy proposals to the Congress. Its members will be my partners and they have already given me a great deal of valuable advice. Many of these proposals will be unpopular. Some will cause you to put up with inconveniences and to make sacrifices.

The most important thing about these proposals is that the alternative may be a national catastrophe. Further delay can affect our strength and our power as a nation.

Proposed Energy Policy . Jimmy Carter . WGBH American Experience | PBS

We consume the same amount of oil per day today than we did when Carter made that speech.

Despite still being a fossil fuel based society and our population being 33 percent larger and living 6 percent longer.

But if you look at the numbers before the recession of 08 hit we we've been increasing.

Also this is the first time since President Carters term that we've reduce the amount we import to lest than 50%. I think that has more to do with the number of people not working than anything else.

Tonight I want to have an unpleasant talk with you about a problem unprecedented in our history. With the exception of preventing war, this is the greatest challenge our country will face during our lifetimes. The energy crisis has not yet overwhelmed us, but it will if we do not act quickly.

It is a problem we will not solve in the next few years, and it is likely to get progressively worse through the rest of this century.

We must not be selfish or timid if we hope to have a decent world for our children and grandchildren.

We simply must balance our demand for energy with our rapidly shrinking resources. By acting now, we can control our future instead of letting the future control us.

Two days from now, I will present my energy proposals to the Congress. Its members will be my partners and they have already given me a great deal of valuable advice. Many of these proposals will be unpopular. Some will cause you to put up with inconveniences and to make sacrifices.

The most important thing about these proposals is that the alternative may be a national catastrophe. Further delay can affect our strength and our power as a nation.

Proposed Energy Policy . Jimmy Carter . WGBH American Experience | PBS

We consume the same amount of oil per day today than we did when Carter made that speech.

Despite still being a fossil fuel based society and our population being 33 percent larger and living 6 percent longer.

But if you look at the numbers before the recession of 08 hit we we've been increasing.

Oil+Consumption

^ of course, none of what we're talking about regarding oil (unless we nationalize it) addresses the real issue of taking away the power of the Middle Eastern countries that hate us.

The ultimate goal of energy policy should be increased economic security, energy security and energy independence. We can accomplish those goals by more drilling and exploration here at home. We will add thousands of high paying jobs that will stimulate the economy, and we increase the world supply. The majority of domestically produced oil will be used here in the USA - that's just good business. But that being said, where the oil goes after it leaves the ground is not that important.

We don't, as of yet, have a "shrinking" energy resource. What we have is a government that refuses to allow the tap of those resources we know about (and keep finding all the time). This keeps them in control. It keeps people looking to them to find the answer and the entire notion is absurd.

I'm all for renewable energy resources. But the govt. is not going to invent them for us to take the place of fossil fuels. that is going to happen in the private sector, as per usual. In the meantime, if the government would get out of the way and allow businesses to expand the supply to meet the demand without the need for imports from the nutters in the middle east, we would be much better off.

Carter was a flunky of a president.

We have had a decreasing or shrinking supply because we ran out of cheap oil in 70's and the multi-national oil companies found it more profitable to buy cheap arab oil and sell it to Americans. The only reason we see a rebound in domestic production is because we are now mining and drilling for the not so cheap oil and gas reserves.

Alternant fuels was only a portion of his plan. Regardless of your opinion of the man, history has proved him to be correct in his assesement of our situation and where not solving it then would eventually lead us.

Here we are.

The cost increase had more to do with the end of the bretton woods in 71 and petrodollar recycling.
Bretton Woods system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
On August 15, 1971, the United States unilaterally terminated convertibility of the dollar to gold. As a result, "[t]he Bretton Woods system officially ended and the dollar became fully 'fiat currency,' backed by nothing but the promise of the federal government."[1] This action, referred to as the Nixon shock, created the situation in which the United States dollar became the sole backing of currencies and a reserve currency for the member states. At the same time, many fixed currencies (such as GBP, for example), also became free floating.

Petrodollar recycling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Petrodollar recycling refers to the phenomenon of major oil-producing states mainly from OPEC earning more money from the export of oil than they could usefully invest in their own economies. It was a phenomenon of the late 1970s and early 1980s with the peak years for petrodollar surpluses.[1]

During this period, states such as Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Qatar amassed large surpluses of petrodollars which they could not invest in their own countries. This was due to small populations or being at early stages of industrialization. These petrodollar surpluses can be defined as net US dollars earned by those nations which were in excess of the internal development needs of those nations.

The ultimate goal of energy policy should be increased economic security, energy security and energy independence. We can accomplish those goals by more drilling and exploration here at home.

how? those private companies own that oil and sell it on the open market. do you want to nationalize the oil industry here and keep our oil here?

The ultimate goal of energy policy should be increased economic security, energy security and energy independence. We can accomplish those goals by more drilling and exploration here at home.

how? those private companies own that oil and sell it on the open market. do you want to nationalize the oil industry here and keep our oil here?

Absolutely.

But there's no need to nationalize. Just put an export tax on it to make it unprofitable to sell it anywhere but here.

Last edited:

Absolutely.

But there's no need to nationalize. Just put an export tax on it to make it unprofitable to sell it anywhere but here.

oh, so you want to create a law where the tax is so steep that those private companies are forced to only sell it here to make a profit. a sneaky way to not nationalize the oil industry but keep our oil here.

No, I oppose that vehemently. It will be far more profitable to sell domestically produced oil here in North America. If not, then who cares? We are still getting the economic benefits of the exports, and the added supply. Let the market take care of itself. All this well intentioned meddling by the government is the reason we have problems to begin with. Stop playing social engineer and let the people and companies decide what is in their own best interest.

No, I oppose that vehemently. It will be far more profitable to sell domestically produced oil here in North America. If not, then who cares? We are still getting the economic benefits of the exports, and the added supply. Let the market take care of itself. All this well intentioned meddling by the government is the reason we have problems to begin with. Stop playing social engineer and let the people and companies decide what is in their own best interest.

hang on. we're already the 2nd or 3rd largest oil producer in the world. why isn't your solution already working???

Yup.

We should be drilling in ANWAR, off the Coast of Cali, Florida and in the Gulf. If we have our own oil then we can tell the ME to fuck off.

Hopefully they will all off themselves for their religioin.
Any new oil that is found gets CAPPED. Remember the Deepwater Horizon well? The only oil that went on the market was the oil that was skimmed off after the CAP blew up, and no more oil has come from it since it was recapped.

No matter where Big Oil Drills, Baby, Drills no new oil will be put on the market. The only new oil put on the market comes from small independents drilling on private land, no new oil comes from Big Oil drilling on Federal land.

Big Oil should be told to uncap the new wells on Federal land or lose the leases.

OIL dictates U.S. foreign policy in the ME. Change that, and everything else changes. American foreign policy shouldn't be driven by a commodity, but it is. This is exactly why America needs alternative energy sources and more electric powered vehicles.
Does that make sense to anybody??

One would think that we would come together as a country and figure out a way, anyway, to pull the rug out from under the Middle Eastern countries that control so much of the world with one product (oil). I'm not even saying that a way can be found or that we'll see it in our lifetime, but, I am tired of seeing the countries that hate us and wanna kill us (or fund groups that wanna kill us) receive so much money from us to buy their product so they can command so much international power. We should be trying to develop energy out of everything short of belly button link to strip the power from the ME crazies. Are we really that dumb??? Do we really want to just wait around for some 2nd grader to come up with a revolutionary idea to strip the ME from it's strangle hold on the world?

And on top of all of that, we give country welfare money to many of these same countries. How ignorant is that?

hang on. we're already the 2nd or 3rd largest oil producer in the world. why isn't your solution already working???

Because we still import 60% of our oil from other nations. We are literally bent over a barrel. We require about 20 million bbls per day to meet demand. We currently produce about 8 million bbls per day. If we increase domestic oil production to 20 million bbls per day we are completely independent- regardless of where the oil is sold.

We have lots of oil reserves here in the US. Why not use ALL their oil first? Then we can sell it to them at very high prices and the food and the water et al. Genius.

Forum List

Back