They got Whitey Bulger!

Fugitive South Boston mob boss and once the most wanted man in the world, James “Whitey” Bulger was arrested last night in southern California after 16 years on the lam and to the astonishment of many who held to the myth that he would forever evade capture.

Whitey Bulger, galpal nabbed in California - BostonHerald.com

:clap2:

i was just going to post about this, i actually used search first ;)

i know a certain local radio host that i enjoy who will be very happy about this, his book just came out ;) The Brothers Bulger

I was reading earlier about his brother, William Bulger. Talk about opposites. Or maybe not???***

"In addition he was a college professor serving seven years as the twenty-fourth President of the University of Massachusetts from January 4, 1996 to September of 2003."

SNIP:

After that he went into politics as a very big deal in the Democratic Party for a long time.

They called him “the Corrupt Midget,” and for 25 years, the 65-inch high brother of a bloodthirsty gangster was the most powerful man in Massachusetts politics. As vindictive as his older brother, he ruled the State House with an iron fist, and soon even politicians seeking the presidency were kowtowing to him, at least on St. Patrick’s Day. He lived next door to the house where his brother strangled at least one young woman who made the fatal error of getting between Whitey and his underworld partner, Stevie “the Rifleman” Flemmi. After Whitey fled, Billy never sought elective office again. Now Billy Bulger is about to turn 74, and he subsists on a state pension of more than $200,000 a year.

William (Billy) Bulger

Last edited:
Fugitive South Boston mob boss and once the most wanted man in the world, James “Whitey” Bulger was arrested last night in southern California after 16 years on the lam and to the astonishment of many who held to the myth that he would forever evade capture.

Whitey Bulger, galpal nabbed in California - BostonHerald.com

:clap2:

i know a certain local radio host that i enjoy who will be very happy about this, his book just came out ;) The Brothers Bulger

:lol: Yep, Howie is thrilled!

You’ve brought a big old smile to my face, Whitey

By Howie Carr

After all these years, how do the feds finally catch Whitey?

By running an ad on “The View.” Or “Rachael Ray.” Or some other silly daytime women’s TV show. Whitey, the president-for-life of the He Man Woman Haters’ Club, brought down by the likes of Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg.

And where were he and Catherine Greig living? Not in some dreary British tenement, but in Santa Monica, LaLa Land. And no Hollywood ending either.

Hey Whitey, in case you’ve forgotten, Oklahoma and Florida are death-penalty states.

The best part about this capture is that now our worst nightmare isn’t realized. His greedy little brother, Billy, does not get to step forward and claim the $2 million reward — one final thumb in the eye of the American taxpayer.

You’ve brought a big old smile to my face, Whitey - BostonHerald.com

I was reading earlier about his brother, William Bulger. Talk about opposites. Are maybe not???***

"In addition he was a college professor serving seven years as the twenty-fourth President of the University of Massachusetts from January 4, 1996 to September of 2003."

SNIP:

After that he went into politics as a very big deal in the Democratic Party for a long time.

They called him “the Corrupt Midget,” and for 25 years, the 65-inch high brother of a bloodthirsty gangster was the most powerful man in Massachusetts politics. As vindictive as his older brother, he ruled the State House with an iron fist, and soon even politicians seeking the presidency were kowtowing to him, at least on St. Patrick’s Day. He lived next door to the house where his brother strangled at least one young woman who made the fatal error of getting between Whitey and his underworld partner, Stevie “the Rifleman” Flemmi. After Whitey fled, Billy never sought elective office again. Now Billy Bulger is about to turn 74, and he subsists on a state pension of more than $200,000 a year.

William (Billy) Bulger

whoa your post is back?!?!?!??!

either that or i saw the future :eek:

Yeah his brother was a bit, um, corrupt too i believe. Big friends with the FBI and somehow the FBI never investigated his brother the whole time he was the mob boss ;).

My understanding is that Billy was investigated quite thoroughly. But that we was extremely careful, from a legal, paper trail perspective, about maintaining a virtual wall of separation from Whitey.

Yeah, on paper, he is clean. But those of us with family in southie know better ;).

And anyone else with 3 or 4 funtioning brain cells. ;)

Remember when he won the lottery...? Everyone was like, yeah right! :doubt:

In 1991, both brothers were at the height of their power.

The then-Senate president lorded over his constituents and political underlings under the golden dome of the State House. There, Billy Bulger enjoyed a reputation for eloquence, wit and a sharp intellegence.

Across town, a swaggering Whitey Bulger and three associates collected $14.3 million with a winning lottery ticket.

But the improbability of a crime figure beating the 13.9 million-to-1 odds of winning Mass Millions raised more than eyebrows. Authorities later determined Bulger bought the winning ticket from its legitimate winner in an effort to shake the Internal Revenue Service.

A Tale Of Two Brothers - New York Daily News

Sept. 3, 1929: James Bulger is born to Irish immigrant parents living in Boston’s Dorchester neighborhood. He is the second of six children. His shock of platinum blonde hair earns him the nickname “Whitey.”

— 1956: Whitey Bulger is sentenced to federal prison for bank robbery. After he’s suspected of plotting an escape from one prison, he’s transferred to Alcatraz to serve part of his term.

— 1960: Bulger’s younger brother, William, is elected to the state House of Representatives. John Connolly, a childhood friend from South Boston, works on the campaign.

— 1965: Whitey Bulger is released from prison and comes home to “Southie.” He becomes a top lieutenant to Somerville mobster Howie Winter, head of the Winter Hill Gang.

— Mid-1960s: Gangster Stephen “The Rifleman” Flemmi develops a relationship with Boston FBI agent H. Paul Rico. Flemmi, using the code name “Jack from South Boston” informs on members of the Providence, R.I.-based New England Mafia.

— 1969: Flemmi is indicted for the murder of a mobster, and with childhood friend “Cadillac” Frank Salemme, for a car bombing. Rico tips off Flemmi that the indictments are coming, and the two flee Boston. Flemmi spends the next 4½ years on the lam.

— 1970: William Bulger is elected to the state Senate.

— 1972: John Connolly, now an FBI agent, recognizes Salemme on the street in New York City and arrests him. Salemme is later sentenced to 15 years in prison. The arrest earns Connolly a transfer back to his hometown of Boston.

— 1974: Flemmi returns to Boston after criminal charges are dropped when several key witnesses recant. He hooks up with Winter, who counts Whitey Bulger among his key allies.

— June 1975: Edward Connors is killed by Flemmi to prevent him from telling authorities about an earlier murder by the Winter Hill Gang.

— September 1975: Acting partly on Flemmi’s recommendation, Bulger cuts a deal with Connolly to provide information on the Italian Mafia in exchange for protection from the FBI.

— 1977: Veteran agent John Morris is appointed to oversee Connolly and his underworld informants.

— 1978: William Bulger becomes president of the state Senate and goes on to serve in the post longer than anyone in its history.

— 1979: After a former business associate implicates Whitey Bulger and Flemmi in a horse race-fixing scheme, FBI agents Connolly and Morris persuade federal prosecutors to leave the two out of the indictment. Twenty-one people are charged, including Howie Winter, whose conviction paves the way for Bulger and Flemmi to assume control of the Winter Hill Gang.

— November 1980: Bulger and Flemmi help the FBI plant a surveillance bug in the North End headquarters of Boston Mafia boss Gennaro Angiulo.

— May 1981: Roger Wheeler, the owner of World Jai Alai, a gambling enterprise from which Bulger and Flemmi have been skimming money, is shot between the eyes in the parking lot of his country club in Tulsa, Okla. The killer is Winter Hill Gang hit man John Martorano.

— Spring 1982: Bulger and Flemmi gun down a former henchman in broad daylight on a South Boston street to prevent him from telling about the Wheeler murder. Connolly files a report with the FBI saying rival gangsters made the hit.

— July 1982: Flemmi and Bulger order Martorano to kill John Callahan, the former president of World Jai Alai, to prevent him from telling investigators about the Jai Alai scheme.

— January 1995: Bulger disappears on the eve of his indictment on racketeering charges.

— 1997: The FBI, under court order, acknowledges that Bulger and Flemmi were “top echelon” informants as a federal probe into the agency’s corrupt ties to its mob informants begins.

(cont...)

History of notorious Boston mobster James ‘Whitey’ Bulger and his ties to FBI, New England mob - The Washington Post

Bulger lived at same Calif. apartment for years...
:oops:
Bulger headed back to Boston to face charges
23 June`11 - Alleged mob boss apparently lived at same Santa Monica apartment for years
As the FBI chased leads on two continents, Boston mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger spent nearly all of his 16 years on the lam in this seaside city, passing himself off as just another elderly retiree, albeit one who kept a .357 Magnum and more than 100 rounds of ammunition in his modest apartment. Bulger — the FBI's most-wanted man and a feared underworld figure linked to 19 murders — was captured Wednesday after one of the biggest manhunts in U.S. history. His undoing may have been his impeccably groomed girlfriend.

Earlier this week, after years of frustration, the FBI put out a series of daytime TV announcements with photos of Bulger's blond live-in companion, Catherine Greig. The announcements pointed out that Greig was known to frequent beauty salons and have her teeth cleaned once a month.

Two days later, the campaign produced a tip that led agents to the two-bedroom apartment three blocks from the Pacific Ocean where Bulger and Greig lived, authorities said. The FBI would not give any details about the tip. The 81-year-old boss of South Boston's vicious Winter Hill Gang — a man who authorities say would not hesitate to shoot someone between the eyes — was lured outside the building and captured without resistance. Greig, 60, was also arrested.

Hint of defiance

See also:

'Whitey' Bulger: Not a guy you 'double-crossed'
6/23/2011 - Boston mob boss' politician brother, complex relationship with FBI captivated nation
A feared and legendary figure in Boston, mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger became a household name when he disappeared in 1995 after an FBI agent tipped him off to his impending indictment. Bulger, who had been an informant for the FBI, fled Boston with a companion, Catherine Greig.

Their 16-year run from the law came to an end Wednesday when the FBI apprehended the 81-year-old mobster and his girlfriend in Santa Monica, Calif. The arrests came just days after the government launched a new publicity campaign to locate them.

Raised in humble beginnings, the violent minutiae of Bulger's life — including an alleged 19 murders — cast a dark shadow over a family that also boasts one of Massachusetts' most powerful politicians. So compelling was Bulger's attempted departure from his life of crime that Martin Scorsese adapted it for the screen with great effect in the Oscar-winning film, "The Departed."

Two brothers, two paths

Last edited:
It all gonna come out now...
:confused:
Capture of Boston Gangster Could Mean More Scandal for FBI
Friday, June 24, 2011 — After 16 long years, the arrest of notorious Boston gangster James "Whitey" Bulger appeared to end a long, frustrating manhunt that had embarrassed the FBI and raised questions about its efforts to find one of its most wanted fugitives.
But Bulger's capture could be only the beginning of a new scandal for the Boston FBI and others. If Bulger decides to cut a deal with prosecutors, he could implicate an untold number of local, state and federal law enforcement officials, according to investigators who built a racketeering indictment against Bulger before he fled in 1995. "If he starts to talk, there will be some unwelcome accountability on the part of a lot of people inside law enforcement," said retired Massachusetts state police Maj. Tom Duffy. "Let me put it this way: I wouldn't want my pension contingent on what he will say at this point."

Bulger, the leader of the violent Winter Hill Gang, is charged in connection with 19 murders. He was captured in Santa Monica, Calif., Wednesday, where he had lived for 15 of the last 16 years, according to his landlord. Bulger's flight in early 1995 allegedly came after a tip from former Boston FBI Agent John Connolly Jr., who was convicted of racketeering and obstruction of justice in 2002 for protecting Bulger and his cohort Stephen "The Rifleman" Flemmi from prosecution. Both Bulger and Flemmi were FBI informants who ratted out members of their main rivals, the New England Mob.

During Connolly's trial, Bulger's right-hand man, Kevin Weeks, testified that Bulger boasted that he had corrupted six FBI agents and more than 20 Boston police officers. At holiday time, Bulger stuffed envelopes with cash, Weeks testified. "He used to say that Christmas was for cops and kids," Weeks said. Edward J. MacKenzie Jr., a former drug dealer and enforcer for Bulger, predicted that Bulger will disclose new details about FBI corruption and how agents protected him for so long. "Whitey was no fool. He knew he would get caught. I think he'll have more fun pulling all those skeletons out of the closet," MacKenzie said. "I think he'll start talking and he'll start taking people down."

MORE

so i was getting gas a few minutes ago and BAM whitey bulger shows up at plymouth jail

c89e68ef9f9d__1308954361000.jpg

Forum List

Back