They got Whitey Bulger!

Stupid bitch gets you every time. :lol:

:confused:

The 82-year-old gangster — wanted for his alleged role in 19 murders during his quarter century reign of terror as a ruthless mob boss and FBI informant — was taken into custody along with his longtime moll girlfriend Catherine Greig just two days after a fresh media blitz aired pictures of him and his longtime traveling companion on daytime TV shows such as “The View” and “Live with Regis and Kelly,” the FBI said last night.

Greig was wanted for harboring a federal fugitive.

The last confirmed sighting of Bulger came in London in 2002, and since then the trail had run cold with multiple leads sending FBI agents around the globe on a manhunt dating back to 1994. Bulger was taken into custody without incident at a residence in Santa Monica, the FBI said, crediting this week’s publicity campaign. Bulger and Greig are scheduled for an appearance today in U.S. District Court in the Central District of California, the agency said.

The gangster fled Boston in December 1994, when he was tipped by his corrupt FBI handler John J. “Zip” Connolly Jr. that he was about to be indicted.

The $2 million bounty on Bulger’s elderly head is the largest reward ever offered by the FBI for a domestic fugitive. Until recently, he and 9/11 mastermind Osama Bin Laden topped the most wanted list. Bin Laden was captured and killed by U.S. forces May 2.

Greig is a former dental hygienist. On Monday, the FBI doubled the reward for her capture from $50,000 to $100,000 and, for the first time in its hunt for the couple, the FBI launched a national ad campaign seeking information that would lead to their arrest.

Whitey Bulger, galpal nabbed in California - BostonHerald.com

Oh, I get what you're saying...

The FBI hunted for James "Whitey" Bulger for 16 years without success. A switch of focus to his longtime girlfriend yielded results in just days.

Bulger and Catherine Greig were captured in Santa Monica, Calif. late Wednesday night just three days after the FBI launched a new publicity campaign that included a public service announcement aired in 14 American television markets during programs popular with women.

It pointed out the 60-year-old Greig’s habit of frequent visits to beauty salons and her dental hygiene that included monthly trips to the dentist for cleanings.

The FBI said in a statement that "recent publicity produced a tip" that led them to the fugitives.

New FBI campaign yields tip that leads to Whitey Bulger - BostonHerald.com

Difficult to believe they never thought of this before...? :doubt:

Now, if they can just get his moll, Blackie Flaccid we'd be set...;)

if I recall the Nicholson character in The Departed was 'loosely' based on Whitey.....

Now, if they can just get his moll, Blackie Flaccid we'd be set...;)

if I recall the Nicholson character in The Departed was 'loosely' based on Whitey.....

Yes...

Bulger was the leader of the Winter Hill Gang when he fled in January 1995 after being tipped by a former Boston FBI agent that he was about to be indicted. Bulger was a top-echelon FBI informant.

Over the years, the FBI battled a public perception that it had not tried very hard to find Bulger, who became a huge source of embarrassment for the agency after the extent of his crimes and the FBI’s role in overlooking them became public.

Prosecutors said he went on the run after being warned by John Connolly Jr., an FBI agent who had made Bulger an FBI informant 20 years earlier. Connolly was convicted of racketeering in May 2002 for protecting Bulger and his cohort, Stephen "The Rifleman" Flemmi, also an FBI informant.

Bulger provided the Boston FBI with information on his gang’s main rival, the New England Mob, in an era when bringing down the Mafia was one of the FBI’s top national priorities.

But the Boston FBI office was sharply criticized when the extent of Bulger’s alleged crimes and his cozy relationship with the FBI became public in the late 1990s.

He has been the subject of several books and was an inspiration for the 2006 Martin Scorsese film "The Departed."

Police say Whitey Bulger arrested in Santa Monica - BostonHerald.com

I read this book a long time ago... Unbelievable... About time they got him!

51hvt7LvzAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

A triumph of investigative reporting, this full-bodied true-crime saga by two Boston Globe reporters is a cautionary tale about FBI corruption and the abuse of power. Gangster James "Whitey" Bulger ruled Boston's Irish mob, and his wary collaboration with the Italian Mafia, which he detested, was the cornerstone of the city's balkanized criminal underworld. (His younger brother, Billy Bulger, was the iron-fisted president of the state senate and later president of the University of Massachusetts.) Few suspected that Whitey Bulger and his partner, crime boss Stevie Flemmi, were both FBI informants; their squealing helped the FBI to put a score of mobsters in jail and wipe out the Angiulo crime family. Here O'Neill and Lehr (Pulitzer winner and Pulitzer finalist, respectively, and coauthors of The Underboss: The Rise and Fall of a Mafia Family) maintain that overzealous FBI Agent John Connolly, who was Whitey's handler, and Agent John Morris, Flemmi's handler, "coddled, conspired and protected the mobsters in a way that for all practical purposes had given them a license to kill." FBI agents looked the other way while Bulger and Flemmi went on a 1980s crime spree that, according to witnesses, included extortion, bank robberies, drug trafficking and a string of unsolved murders. This complex, dramatic tale climaxes with a 1998 federal hearing that found that Connolly and Morris had essentially fictionalized FBI internal records to downplay the stoolies' crimes while overstating their value to the Bureau. In 1999, a grand jury probe launched by Attorney General Janet Reno led to Connolly's arrest on charges of racketeering and obstruction of justice (he's now out on bail). Also named in the indictment were Flemmi, already arrested by state police in 1995, and Bulger, now a fugitive on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted List. This in-depth look at the FBI's war against the Mafia includes the first-ever secret recording of a Mafia induction ceremony, complete with pricking of fingers and blood oaths.

Amazon.com: Black Mass: The True Story of an Unholy Alliance Between the FBI and the Irish Mob (9780060959258): Dick Lehr, Gerard O'Neill: Books

Call me cynical but I bet they are saying they got him due to a tip on her just so they can avoid paying the $2 million dollar reward. :lol:

The $2 million bounty on Bulger’s elderly head is the largest reward ever offered by the FBI for a domestic fugitive. Until recently, he and 9/11 mastermind Osama Bin Laden topped the most wanted list. Bin Laden was captured and killed by U.S. forces May 2.

Greig is a former dental hygienist. On Monday, the FBI doubled the reward for her capture from $50,000 to $100,000 and, for the first time in its hunt for the couple, the FBI launched a national ad campaign seeking information that would lead to their arrest.

Fugitive South Boston mob boss and once the most wanted man in the world, James “Whitey” Bulger was arrested last night in southern California after 16 years on the lam and to the astonishment of many who held to the myth that he would forever evade capture.

Whitey Bulger, galpal nabbed in California - BostonHerald.com

:clap2:

i was just going to post about this, i actually used search first ;)

i know a certain local radio host that i enjoy who will be very happy about this, his book just came out ;) http://www.thebrothersbulger.com/

Yeah his brother was a bit, um, corrupt too i believe. Big friends with the FBI and somehow the FBI never investigated his brother the whole time he was the mob boss ;).

My understanding is that Billy was investigated quite thoroughly. But that we was extremely careful, from a legal, paper trail perspective, about maintaining a virtual wall of separation from Whitey.

Yeah his brother was a bit, um, corrupt too i believe. Big friends with the FBI and somehow the FBI never investigated his brother the whole time he was the mob boss ;).

My understanding is that Billy was investigated quite thoroughly. But that we was extremely careful, from a legal, paper trail perspective, about maintaining a virtual wall of separation from Whitey.

Yeah, on paper, he is clean. But those of us with family in southie know better ;).

Forum List

Back